Tamas have changed...in a bad way

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well, I've been into Tamagotchis since 2006, back when the V3s and V4s were still in shops. 2009 and 2010 were full of TamaTown, fights about codes and items and hackers. But 2011 and 2012 brought a totally new face to Tamagotchi - and sorry to all those who like it, but I couldn't hate it more. The changes are:

• Tama characters have loads of crushes on other Tama characters. Can't we just have Mametchi, Memetchi and Kuchipatchi being friends instead of Mametchi having a crush on Lovelin and Kuchipatchi having a crush on Himetchi and Moriritchi and Memetchi hating Spacytchi or WHAAAT?
  • The anime stuff used to be about Mametchi, Memetchi, Kuchipatchi and Violetchi, 4 Tamas with 2 of each gender, nice simple designs and varied hobbies. Now it is about Lovelin and Meloditchi, both girls and both keen on music.
  • The Tamagotchi toys used to feature gender neutral, simple items (like balls, skipping ropes, boots etc.) but the Princess Spacy is full of unrecognisable pink things.
  • Tamagotchi isn't much of a virtual pet anymore, it's becoming a portable computer game.

Do you agree that Tamagotchi has changed too much and we want back the virtual pet we know and love? Or do you like the new stuff? Please reply!

Well, I've been into Tamagotchis since 2006, back when the V3s and V4s were still in shops. 2009 and 2010 were full of TamaTown, fights about codes and items and hackers. But 2011 and 2012 brought a totally new face to Tamagotchi - and sorry to all those who like it, but I couldn't hate it more. The changes are:

• Tama characters have loads of crushes on other Tama characters. Can't we just have Mametchi, Memetchi and Kuchipatchi being friends instead of Mametchi having a crush on Lovelin and Kuchipatchi having a crush on Himetchi and Moriritchi and Memetchi hating Spacytchi or WHAAAT?
  • The anime stuff used to be about Mametchi, Memetchi, Kuchipatchi and Violetchi, 4 Tamas with 2 of each gender, nice simple designs and varied hobbies. Now it is about Lovelin and Meloditchi, both girls and both keen on music.
  • The Tamagotchi toys used to feature gender neutral, simple items (like balls, skipping ropes, boots etc.) but the Princess Spacy is full of unrecognisable pink things.
  • Tamagotchi isn't much of a virtual pet anymore, it's becoming a portable computer game.

Do you agree that Tamagotchi has changed too much and we want back the virtual pet we know and love? Or do you like the new stuff? Please reply!
The bolded things are the things I agree with. The things I DIDN'T bold are things I wonder why you are complaining about. XD What's wrong with Tamas in love? 8'< You know how much I like it for Himespetchi to have a crush on Mametchi. So adorable! ♥ And I never really thought of Tamas as 'pets'... I always liked to think of them as more like people. They can talk and go to school and stuff. :) Yes, the girliness and new characters suck. But I like it when Tamas are in love with each other because it's funny, and I don't think of my Tamas as dumb animals--I think of them as intelligent friends. :)

You think Tamas are bad now? 0.o Does that mean you don't like Tamagotchi anymore? :mellow:

I definitely agree! After playing vintages and older connections, newer versions just feel like a game, instead of a pet. Which I guess is why I tend to favor ancestors.

I personally think that this is just all stuff that BanDai did to put some story on the characters for the anime rather than just being mascots for their product. I suggest that if you don't like how they're putting out those stories, you can just ignore it like those stuff never existed and make up your own version of the story
    smile.gif

Since we're all aware that BanDai is rebranding the Tamagotchi for the girls' market, this kinds of things are also inevitable, but yes I'm not in favour with these either.
    Same as above, sad but it's happening.
    sad.gif

Well, it has always been a portable computer game, but it being a pet makes it more unique than the rest. I agree though that it is becoming more similar to recent games, which I think is normal because BanDai wanted to attract new people so they kept on adding stuff. I'm OK with it myself, but focusing the market to just girls is what I'm opposed to as well.

We still have our vintage ones to stick to just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bolded things are the things I agree with. The things I DIDN'T bold are things I wonder why you are complaining about. XD What's wrong with Tamas in love? 8'< You know how much I like it for Himespetchi to have a crush on Mametchi. So adorable! ♥ And I never really thought of Tamas as 'pets'... I always liked to think of them as more like people. They can talk and go to school and stuff.
smile.gif
Yes, the girliness and new characters suck. But I like it when Tamas are in love with each other because it's funny, and I don't think of my Tamas as dumb animals--I think of them as intelligent friends.
smile.gif

You think Tamas are bad now? 0.o Does that mean you don't like Tamagotchi anymore?
mellow.gif
Well, Tamas are (or used to be) seen as young kids who play games like kids and do stuff together like kids. They're not...romantic, I guess. And now all of a sudden they become teenagers and most of what they do is fall in love with each other, like some teenagers. I can't really explain it better than that.

Believe me, you know me better than to think that I think of Tamas as "dumb animals". I don't even think of animals as dumb. I think of Tamas as intelligent friends as well. The fact they're becoming a computer game, I really don't like.

I do like Tamagotchi, but admittedly not as much as before. No matter what, I will always collect and use Tamas, and I will never abandon my friends on TamaTalk. Unless I get fed up of you O_O-ing at me, LOL.

Change is inevitable.

Bandai is a corporation and in order to market their toys profitably they must look at product life cycles and manage them to maintain and grow their market share. That's business.

Tamagotchis are not at the peak of their product life cycle any more. What they are doing is to focus on the key consumers (teen girls) and really push all the aspects of the toy that will appeal to them most. A little romance, some girly pink, increasing awareness and interest in modern music, etc.

Of course, not all tamagotchi fans are teenage girls, but at this stage in the products cycle it makes economic sense to focus on the most important group. (Also - they realise that not all teenage girls like all these things - but the point is that the majority do...)

The rest of us who don't - or who are not teenage girls just have to suck it up and accept it - that's the toy business for you ;)

True, Tamas have changed. However, we all have different perceptions of what Tamas really should be.

Even though your first Tama was a V4, other peoples' first Tamas may have been the Music Star. Therefore, Music Stars are special to them, possibly their favorite version because of how many features it has.

In Japan, I'm sure many peoples' first Tamas were an iD L. I personally love the iD L because of all the features, the download-ability, the weather, and everything else that goes along with it, making it unique.

Think about it. Now that people have iPhones and iPads, and all the technology that we have, people expect more from the electronics they buy. Back in the '90s, I'm sure that people didn't expect a whole lot of technology in their little eggs. Now we exepct things to do much more. Bandai is just trying to stay with the times.

True, Tamas have changed. However, we all have different perceptions of what Tamas really should be.

Even though your first Tama was a V4, other peoples' first Tamas may have been the Music Star. Therefore, Music Stars are special to them, possibly their favorite version because of how many features it has.

In Japan, I'm sure many peoples' first Tamas were an iD L. I personally love the iD L because of all the features, the download-ability, the weather, and everything else that goes along with it, making it unique.

Think about it. Now that people have iPhones and iPads, and all the technology that we have, people expect more from the electronics they buy. Back in the '90s, I'm sure that people didn't expect a whole lot of technology in their little eggs. Now we exepct things to do much more. Bandai is just trying to stay with the times.
Well no, the features are not a bad thing, I love the iD L and all that keeps me from running mine is its ruined screen. I know and respect a lot of people here whose first Tamas were the Music Star or Tama-Go, but even in their time, a very short while ago, the mascots were still Mametchi, Memetchi and Kuchipatchi and Tamas were still portrayed as young, playful children. Their sudden transition into music lovers and romantic teenagers is a bit unnerving for me. I guess that Tamas were always, to me, something that was supposed to be unchanging, and that's why I've stuck with them - they always stayed the same even when I was moving school and even considering moving country. Maybe that's why I don't like it when they change? Or maybe it's just that I've been into them for a while. I don't know. :p

Well, Tamas are (or used to be) seen as young kids who play games like kids and do stuff together like kids. They're not...romantic, I guess. And now all of a sudden they become teenagers and most of what they do is fall in love with each other, like some teenagers. I can't really explain it better than that.

Believe me, you know me better than to think that I think of Tamas as "dumb animals". I don't even think of animals as dumb. I think of Tamas as intelligent friends as well. The fact they're becoming a computer game, I really don't like.

I do like Tamagotchi, but admittedly not as much as before. No matter what, I will always collect and use Tamas, and I will never abandon my friends on TamaTalk. Unless I get fed up of you O_O-ing at me, LOL.
Not as much as before? ...Well, being like a handheld computer game makes it more fun, and as far as I'm aware the crushes have been around since 2009 (in Japan). My adoration for Tamagotchi won't lessen just because of Melodytchi and Lovelitchi's popularity. Tamas have changed in a bad way, but to make up for that they have also changed in a good way. Yes, my favorite character is no longer the mascot but Tamas are now popular (in Japan) and have all sorts of features. ;)

Not necessarily, we all have different views of friends. To you they aren't computer games, but maybe they are to EMF.

Not necessarily, we all have different views of friends. To you they aren't computer games, but maybe they are to EMF.
How can friends be computer games...? Anyway, this is just getting off topic.

I don't love Tamas as much as I used to because of the precise reasons I'm pointing out. I can live without using the modern versions and watching the small number of anime episodes that get onto TamaTube without a copyright claim from BanDai, but TamaTalk is changing with these Tamas. Look at some of the latest fan fiction, and the obsession with Mametchi's creepy eyes, and also look at the logs - most of them running Tamas above the iD. The iD L downloads have way more girl clothes and items, and it's actually more common to get a boy Tama.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can friends be computer games...? Anyway, this is just getting off topic.

I don't love Tamas as much as I used to because of the precise reasons I'm pointing out. I can live without using the modern versions and watching the small number of anime episodes that get onto TamaTube without a copyright claim from BanDai, but TamaTalk is changing with these Tamas. Look at some of the latest fan fiction, and the obsession with Mametchi's creepy eyes, and also look at the logs - most of them running Tamas above the iD. The iD L downloads have way more girl clothes and items, and it's actually more common to get a boy Tama.
Lol, when they're just virtual pets, they wouldn't be friends either! XD

My log has a P2 so there. ;) And the anime... I ADORE IT (except when it has Lovelin and Melodytchi overused).

You no like my "obsession" with Mametchi's creepy eyes? :'<

Oh well... anyway, if you weren't my best friend I miiiigght say exactly what I'm thinking right now... XD

Lol, when they're just virtual pets, they wouldn't be friends either! XD

My log has a P2 so there.
wink.gif
And the anime... I ADORE IT (except when it has Lovelin and Melodytchi overused).

You no like my "obsession" with Mametchi's creepy eyes? :'<

Oh well... anyway, if you weren't my best friend I miiiigght say exactly what I'm thinking right now... XD
I read your log...so I know it has a P2. I adore the anime too except when BanDai copyright claims it. :p

No I don't like that because it messes up your profile. Every time I see one of your posts I think, "EMF defies the laws of teenage girls".

You also defy the laws of best friends, Tama addicts, time zones, slowest loading computers and about 100 other things, but this topic isn't the place to list them all. ;)

Yes, I agree with you! I love the good old pixel tamagotchis. The newest tama I have is the v6, and its a bit too much for me. I like the responsibility of raising ur little buddy, not something that is so.... 'Modern', as it is today.

in a certain way i agree with you the reason why im not very fond of the tama-go is well, because on one hand because of its size, its way too big to fit in a pocket so its doesn´t feel much like a keychain pet that yo put on your pocket, another reason is well, if you want to get the complete version of it (all the games ,caracters,items etc) you have to buy all the figurines, and some of them are harder to find than other. yes, i know bandai has been puting new features to keep people interest and i don´t mind if it´s in color or has new clothes or games etc.. , but, i wished the still kept the portable keychain that tamagotchi was known for. i enjoy taking it out with me when i have to leave the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back