Things to Know Before Buying an iD L

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've recently noticed a lot of topics asking for before-buy advice for the iD L, so I decided to put together a topic on things you need to know before buying an iD L.

Price: The price is an issue, but most think it's worth it. It's your decision if you think it's worth it too. Unfortunately, since the iD L has been out for almost a year, it (along with the 15th Anniversary and Princess Spacy versions) cannot be found on any safe online shopping sites besides eBay. It is not sold in stores anywhere but Japan.

Features: The iD L, as you can guess from the price, has a lot of new features. The following things are available on the iD L without downloads:

• 2 pre-installed, colour games. The games are simple but fun and last 30 seconds each.
  • 1 meal (rice) and 1 snack (box of sweets). Additional foods, both meals and snacks, can be grown from seeds.
  • Seeds. These can be purchased at TamaDepa (the in-game store) for Gotchi Points, and the next morning will grow into a food or item.
  • Cafes/restaurants. There are three cafes/restaurants on the iD L - the restaurant, the bakery and the Tama Cafe.
  • Parent visit. Once you get past the first generation, when your Tamagotchi is an adult it can visit its parents.
  • Park. At any stage of life, your Tamagotchi can go to the park and may find another character to play with.
  • Happy symbols. By certain adult characters using certain items, happy symbols are obtained. Four happy symbols can be earned for each generation - three are from items, the last is from having your character as and adult for 48 hours (2 days). On TamaTalk's iD L Guide, found in the Tips & Tricks forum, you can see the happy symbols for all the characters.
  • Interior remodels. One of the destinations you can go to is the Interior Shop. There you can purchase, for Gotchi Points, in-game room remodels. There are five rooms on the iD L which all serve a specific purpose: Main room (where your character stays when it's doing nothing in particular), kitchen (where your character goes to eat), bedroom (where your character sleeps), bathroom (where your character uses the bath) and toilet room (where your character uses the toilet). These rooms can all be remodeled so they look different.
  • Garden. On most Tamas, you press B to go to the time screen, but on the iD L it takes you to the garden (pressing it again takes you to the time screen). In the garden, you can receive letters from Tamas you've connected to and grow plants.
  • Clothes. When your Tama is an adult, you unlock TamaMori, a destination where you can buy in-game clothes using Gotchi Points for your adult character to wear.
  • Travel destinations. For every four unique adult characters that obtain all their happy symbols, a travel destination is unlocked. Some of the unlockable destinations are Henshin Jo (where your character can transform into its Henshin Jo alter ego using specific outfits), Patchi Falls, Melody Land and Concert Hall.
  • Tama Pets. When your character is an adult, it can meet baby-stage-character sized creatures called Tama Pets. Once it has met a Tama Pet 3 times, it can adopt the pet. There are 10 Tama Pets to collect, however collecting them does not unlock anything for your Tama.

Downloads: Downloads are not essential for the iD L, but most of the Henshin Jo outfits are download items. It is nice to have downloads but if you are reluctant about spending money on an infrared phone, don't get them. ;)

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to PM me or ask questions on this topic! Also, if any of my information needs changing, please let me know.

Thanks so much for making this topic! I found it very helpful, since I'm getting an ID L in 2 months and I hope someone else finds it helpful too! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for making this topic! I found it very helpful, since I'm getting an ID L in 2 months and I hope someone else finds it helpful too!
wink.gif
Thanks! I just made it so there wouldn't be any more topics asking for before-buy info on the iD L. :)

You can also get an Infrared USB port for about $5-$8 for downloads.
smile.gif
Those don't work very well (I tried for about 5 hours and it did nothing), so I didn't include them. ;)

I just got my iD L today and this thread has been very informative! Thanks :D

Hmm... The only thing that worries me now is that I won't be able to understand what I'm making it do... When I will try to feed it I could be taking it to the park for all I know.

Hmm... The only thing that worries me now is that I won't be able to understand what I'm making it do... When I will try to feed it I could be taking it to the park for all I know.
Some things like that - but not to that extent - may happen at first but you memorize where things are at. It's easy to work an iD L. :)

I just got a Tamagotchi iD L yesterday, and I used a guide to figure out what all the menus said, so I know my way around pretty well now. But whenever my tama visits someplace, and there's another tama there saying stuff to mine, I have no clue what it's saying! Maybe somebody could make a guide of what some characters say? For example I went to Donut Park and a mimitchi walked up to me and was jumping up and down and saying a bunch of stuff, and I think it would be very helpful if someone could make a guide that translates this.

I didn't want to intentionally promote my log, but I usually do rough translations of them if I come across a talking character, seeing as no one has done it yet. I'm not exactly 100% fluent in Japanese (yet), but the sentences are in a way simple enough to interpret, since they are meant to be read by kids.

The dialogues aren't much, but they can be fun if you could understand what they are saying. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I am probably (hopefully) getting one soon(ish) and am worried I won't know what I'm telling my tama to do

I bought a IR device for the USB socket on my pc, it seems to work fantastic and is really good at connecting with my ID L. I works perfectly! Im so glad I bought it :D

I wonder if someone could post what brand/type of IR USB device they've used successfully?

I wonder if someone could post what brand/type of IR USB device they've used successfully?
There's nothing really specific. I just bought a generic USB iD L and it seamlessly worked. It's all in the "timing".

This was fabulously helpful! At first I thought the price tag on the iD L was way too outrageous for a tama, but after reading about all of the features and how much you guys love it, I ordered one for myself. I'm getting it tomorrow and I'm so pumped!! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back