SEA MONKEYS!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CherubHorse

Reaction score
Have you ever had them? Did they hatch? How long did they live?

I've had Sea Monkeys 2 times before. The first time, I was 7 or 8. I had them for nearly a year, and they were constantly making babies and swirling around and being adorable. Then I picked up the tank to inspect it closely, and it fell and every little shrimp went pouring out. I was so sad! Only 2 survived, but then they died a month later.

The second time was 2 years ago. I think. Anywho, I got a swimsuit form my aunt as a random gift, but it was too big. I returned it at Target and I got $20 back. Well, I was scanning the toy isles for Tamagotchis with my newfound money, and LO AND BEHOLD....SEA MONKEYS! I snatched up a pack of them (purple....hehe) and I purchased them. BOY, WAS I HAPPY!

Well when I brought them home I added water and poured the purifier, eggs, and whatever else in. But not the food. Not yet. You have to wait 5 days before feeding them. So they hatched in an hour or so (I put the eggs in immediately because I have well water. If I had tap water I'd have to wait 24 hours) and I was overjoyed at the sight of my new pinhead-sized minions. They were scooting around (yes, they SCOOT when they're babies-- adorable!!!!!!!!!) and were basking under my desk lamp. Awwwwwwwwhhhn! Anyway. Every day I brought them outside (it was summertime) and put half the tank in the sun, half in shade. And when they have sunlight like they did outside, they go NUTS! Every single shrimp that was laid-back and lazy before suddenly went berserk and started swirling around like nobody's business. I ended up with 8 adults. They mated a couple of times, and I got only 5 or 6 babies. It was cute though, the way the males fought over females (the males have big whiskers [they use these to grab each other and wrestle], and the females have 2 egg sacs near the ends of their bodies). I loved them so much. By the time 6 months was over, all had died off except one female. I was almost afraid to look in the tank because it was so...gross. There were carcasses everywhere, and poo, and algae. It looked like an apocalypse just went down. But that little female alone survived for 4 more months!

As a bonus, I made a little decoration to the tank. I made little backgrounds, I glued letter bead to the top of the tank, reading "Anastasia's Sea Monkey Farm"....I also made a tiny human hand (bloody and scarred) out of Sculpey, and made a bloody knife, and propped them up next to a sign that read "Danger: Violent sea-creatures contained inside"

It was just a really fun thing to have :)

That also goes to show that sea monkeys are not brine shrimp. You don't need an air pump for them. They hardly look like brine shrimp. They are not the color of brine shrimp. They live for 4 months, and it only takes about 20 days to grow up, compared to the month it takes brine shrimp.

Anyway, I'm currently sucking up to my parents, getting ready to ask them to order me new sea-monkeys.

Also, I'm looking for a pack that comes with a little capsule to bring the little shrimp along with you. When I was little I had a bright pink tank with a tiny capsule with it where you could put up to 8 shrimp for up to 8 hours and bring them around with you....I used to bring mine to school every day :)

I've had sea monkeys two times before, and both "tribes" of sea monkeys had unfortinate ends.

The first of the tribes where given to me when I was five, I would always check up on them and watch my mother feed them. Their unforinate ending was by my cat. He jumped up to where we kept them to see what they were, when he had watched them for a few minutes he decided to rub up against their tank and dropped them.

The second tribe of sea monkeys died of to much sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

I asked my mom if I could order more sea monkeys....

REPLY: DON'T YOU HAVE ENOUGH PETS ALREADY? A HORSE, A DOG, 2 CATS, 2 PARAKEETS, 2 GOLDFISH, AND A BETTA. HOW MANY FISH TANKS COULD YOU POSSIBLY HAVE!?!? PLUS YOU ALREADY WANT A PAIR OF DOVES OR A PIGEON AND YOU WANT PYGMY GOATS AND MORE GOLDFISH....etc.....

I guess I'm not getting any.....subtle hints.

My little brother got some for xmas last year and then my other brother drank some of it because my friend dared him to. he was sick and hasnt gone near sea monkeys or my friend since. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back