Yellowing on tamagotchis?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My first tamagotchi is a Japanese P1 with a white shell, pink numbers, and pink buttons. I got it in 1996.

I live in a tropical climate so it is difficult to keep things nice over a long period of time. :(

All white plastic will eventually turn yellow here. My tamagotchi had this happen.

Is there any way I can reverse the damage?

How can I prevent yellowing on my new tamagotchis?

Also, I noticed on eBay and through various pictures that the straps on entamas and uratamas tend to turn yellow. Here is an example (this is not mine):

$(KGrHqV,!iME4sqHgVM-BO(Fw1KDCQ~~60_3.JPG

How can I keep the strap on my new uratama looking new?

Any advice would be appreciated. :blink:

Hrm... I have a white version four. The back was yellowed, so I used the blade of scissors to scrape away the outer yellowed plastic, revealing white plastic underneath. It made it nice and white again, but there were some scratch marks. I do not know of any other way to get rid of yellow... Maybe you need some sort of bleach or something. I know... TOOTH WHITENER! No, I'm not sure if that will work. <_<

Good luck. :wub:

Ooh, that sounds harsh. I don't want whatever I use to also take off the numbers design. Thank you for your advice, though. ^_^

I've not tried it, but I've heard that lemon juice can whiten yellowed plastic.

Also, here's a 2-part youtube video about why plastic yellows (it's a chemical reaction) and how to reverse the yellowing (by another chemical reaction).

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png
part 2

Thanks to -Ra- for the youtube links.

Since both methods involve liquids, if you're going to try either, the Tamagotchi should be disassembled, so the circuit board and screen doesn't get wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... I live in a tropic environment too(California) My dads computer has this yellowing you are talking about(The computer is almost as old as me). I did not know Tamagotchis were made out of that type of plastic. Anyways My suggestion would be to use some Hydrogeon peroxide. My dad used some on his comp a while back and it helped a little. Other than that keep it out of the sun Like in a box I think that should help if your using it though I don't know how to help you there, Maybe a case.

I would look into the videos. If you wanted to annoy yourself, you could try a rubber eraser... just keep rubbing the yellow. I did that to a figurine I had and it took the yellow off, eventually. Just watch for the eraser bits where they come off.

As for keeping them from yellowing... I would keep them in a card board box. That or a thermal lunch box might help too. I'm sure the thermal would help since those are fairly common. (Like a fabric lunch box or fabric water bottle container)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back