My mom insisted I make a topic about this...

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
...and she won't stop bothering me about it until I do, so don't laugh at my complete lack of consideration about the fact that this subject is completely wasting people on TT's time.

You might have heard (well probably won't have heard unless you happen to be either doing an advanced physics exam or are an extremely-knowledgeable-about-science 11-year-old) that there's this huge thing in Switzerland called the Large Hadron Collider which smashes particles into each other trying to find a new thing called a Higgs Boson. I'm not sure what this thing is but they think they've found it and everyone's getting excited about it - at least people my parents know are, and my mom is. So...does anyone actually have anything to say about this? Because I don't. :p

Actually I'm more interested in what they are doing to help the people in Italy. They are making so that they will try to catch a neutrino To prove that neutrinos travel faster then light, disproving Einstein's theory of relativity. In Switzerland they are sending them through the earth to Italy and they have to time it perfectly or they could be off by a large amount of time. Sorry I don't really have anything to say about the stuff actually going on in Switzerland.

I just found out about this modern Science craze today whilst reading the news, leading to a report on the so-discovery of this "God cell."

I've tried reading explanations and definitions of it but I remain lacking in understanding it. Science is something that I'm (Perhaps obviously) not very good at understanding. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I'm more interested in what they are doing to help the people in Italy. They are making so that they will try to catch a neutrino To prove that neutrinos travel faster then light, disproving Einstein's theory of relativity. In Switzerland they are sending them through the earth to Italy and they have to time it perfectly or they could be off by a large amount of time. Sorry I don't really have anything to say about the stuff actually going on in Switzerland.
I didn't know about that! I've heard people have tried to catch a neutrino before, but I didn't know they were trying to now. And why do the people in Italy need help...? Neutrinos travel through people and planets and everything without hurting anyone...

I just found out about this modern Science craze today whilst reading the news, leading to a report on the so-discovery of this "God cell."

I've tried reading explanations and definitions of it but I remain lacking in understanding it. Science is something that I'm (Perhaps obviously) not very good at understanding. :p
Science is something I'm good at understanding! I'll try to explain it in a simple way: People discovered all this stuff about atomic theory and things, and then they wanted to check it. This bit is too complicated for me but I think this Higgs particle makes some sort of field that makes particles behave the way they do. And they wanted to find it by smashing protons (positively charged sub-atomic particles found in the nucleus of an atom) into each other in the Large Hadron Collider. I'm not sure how this helps them discover the Higgs Boson, but I hope you understand the basic principle now. But I'm just assuming you know what protons are. I'm not sure how far ahead of key stage 2 I am in science, but I have a rough estimate of...A LOT. :p

As far as I understand it, they call it the "God-particle"and this particle has existed, up until a few days ago, only in theory of quantum physics....and basically the Higgs Boson is seen as the first evidence of the energy (mass) that was required to 'initiate the Big Bang'.

Great Topic haha:)

I've been interested since I was around 11 too, because I got grouped into 'Gifted' when I was 9, and I didn't care about my future or what I was good at!

I'm glad they're pretty sure they found it, because we can start unravelling the science of our creation.

~Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back