Stripped Screw Help?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skissors

Reaction score
I recently aquried a P2 Tamagotchi off of eBay. When I went to replace the batterys, I discovered that one of the screws has been stripped quite badly. I would like to avoid damaging my tam if at all possible, so I don't want to just pry the back off, and would only like to use power tools as a last resort. So, does anybody here have any suggestions about what I could do?

(Credit to Household Hacker) If you take a rubber band, rip it so it's just a straight line. Place it over the screw and use the screwdriver. The screw should turn out

(Credit to Household Hacker) If you take a rubber band, rip it so it's just a straight line. Place it over the screw and use the screwdriver. The screw should turn out
This only works occasionally - I would try it though no harm in trying since this won't damage the tama. But if the screw is too stripped it will not work. Occasionally if it's just a little stripped trying a smaller or larger screw driver will get a bit of grip - I find that sometimes I over estimate and use my larger small screw driver and it's just too big to fit and grip correctly and if I change to a smaller one it works like a charm. I have used cuticle trimmers to grab the edges of a screw and twist it out gradually, but it sometimes doesn't work. :<

-Purn

If I were you I would try the trick with the rubber band. Another way (what I used to open up the back of a Pokemon Silver game boy game because the screw head is one that is only made in Japan therefore I have no hope of getting a reasonable screwdriver for it) is to use a fine needlenose pliers, clamping it around the edges of the screw. And if that's not possible, you could try (VERY CAREFULLY) opening up a ballpoint pen (the cheap kind that you buy in packs of about a dozen, not the clicky kind) and take out all the parts until you just have the outer tube. VERY CAREFULLY melt the end of the pen (where the point would be) over an open flame until it's soft and press it into the end of the screw and make a mold of it. Let the end solidify for a while and use that pen as a sort of screwdriver to open that screw. Again, this advice came from attempting to open up a Game Boy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back