Comparing the Real to the Fake!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asia*

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm writing this to show the structural (I don't have batteries for the real Tama's) comparison between a fake Tamagotchi and a real Tamagotchi Connection. They are quite similar, so you have to make sure you look carefully. I collect both real Tama's and fake ones, so I like to be able to decipher the fake from the real.

f6s8y.jpg

2zh46mp.jpg

On the left - a real Tamagotchi Connection. On the right - a fake Tamagotchi (what SEEMS to be) Connection. The fake has the chain of a European Tamagotchi. Already, you will notice that the shell on the fake Tama looks cheap and generally not as well-made. The details on the real Tama are much more in-depth - the paint has barely chipped since I've owned it (years!) and the little picture of the kissing Tama's on the fake are already looking to wear down. The fake is a bit smaller, and most definitely lighter in weight. Judging by appearance on the front shell/in a package, it isn't easy to tell if it is fake or not. The packaging for the fake had no Bandai logo, so I knew it wasn't real. Packaging is crucial when buying Tama's online.

2ykl7xl.jpg

This is the packaging for the fake Tama. Where the Bandai logo would normally be, there is a blanked-out box. It does SAY Bandai on it. The rest is in Japanese/Chinese. (Sorry for the beat up package, it arrived that way)

24ccby9.jpg
2gwbzgo.jpg

Those two pictures (sorry, I know it's very hard to read) show the back casing of a real and a fake Tamagotchi. The purple casing is REAL, where you'll notice it reads "© BANDAI, WIZ 2004 (skip line) BANDAI 2004 (skip line) MADE IN CHINA" Now, the fake reads the SAME exact thing in the same area, but mine had some Chinese beneath that and a logo of what looks like Pacman trying to eat the Tamagotchi.

14tefp.jpg

Notice that the two have the same exact background. The Tamagotchi on the left is real, on the right fake.

15hg9ib.jpg

Lastly, the infrared on top of the pets. The real Tamagotchi's infrared is a very deep transparent red, though it is hard to see through. The fake is an extremely transparent red that you can peer right into. You'll see a small LED and another gadget next to it.

That was my attempt at helping everyone on TamaTalk tell the differences between fake Tama's and real Tama's. I hope this can help someone out there! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to add 3 things here, if it's fine. ^_^

1. If you look at the buttons on the fake in the first picture, the buttons look a bit more on the left side than in the middle.

2. The back screw is more round than the normal flat Connection screw.

3. The chain isn't hooked on with a metal hoop, it's just stuck on.

when i bought that one they advertised it as a real japanese connection.....but i got my money back and told them it's a fake

The package is IDENTICAL as the hong kong tamagotchi plus one... But these come only in white color in think, so beware of that!

The knock off tama's character isn't very attractive...how playable is it?
I actually picked up one of these a few weeks ago, and got it recently. $3 - why not? :p

From what I found, you basically choose from one character or the other upon start up. It then switches to a baby like character... I'd assume a baby version of the one you originally chose. I went through the menu and I was able to feed it and nearly every other icon was blocked. The sound when you click something on a Tama, and it's like "nu uh" - for 90% of them. So in the end, I fed him and checked his stats. Everything else was unusable. At this point, I removed the batteries.

Perhaps they become available later... but I didn't want to get my hopes up. The other reason I stopped was because I couldn't turn the sound off (these fakes have wonderful chimes, but very loud), and because when I chose a bat looking character - my baby form that it gave me was a duck.

I actually been playing with this for oh I would say about 2 weeks now? I find it cute...but it is wired at times. I tried to read through the instructions and you really wont make much sense from them.

I first started out with the bird looking thing. (The instructions said dinosaur...ok....to me it looks like a frog in it's adult form...whatever.)

Anyways, yes, at first all you can do is feed it the first day. It will sleep a few times, but the second day (you have to wake it up in the morning yourself) you can do everything else. You can play 2 little games, send it to school, and then this random thing happens with the weather. If it is sunny you give it a hat, if it is raining an umbrella. Don't know if the connections work..there are 3 icons for that. I think I got it to year 9 or so when I decided to just start over and choose the girl. I was afraid my battery was dying (I was wrong) so I thought since it probably won't change might as well see that one. Well this time, at year 12 it turned into it's adult form. So now I am back on the other to do the same. XD

You can't pause it and you can't turn the sound off. It reminds me of a pet I had back in the 90's...I think it was a nano t-rex? Not sure.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. It really isn't a rip off...as it is only $3.

(And I don't know so much if it is a fake, as more then a knock off.) Reminds me of some generic ones I had in the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back