Everything turning into pop/dance music?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plnkpenguin

Reaction score
In Ooo, trying to get Fin The Human's autograph.
So, I have heard some of the songs in Owl City's new album the Midsummer Station, and they are really 'poppy' sounding - one of the songs (dunno what it's called) reminded me of Katy Perry! I am pretty shocked because usually his songs are so much better than that, i.e actually mean something, and have verses with actual lyrics rather than just repeating the same thing. I mean, listen to Lonely Lullaby, Fireflies, Peppermint Winter, Vanilla Sunset... they bear little resemblence to the morden disco-pap. But now he even has a stupid Justin Bieber haircut!

I'm pretty sure that this is happening to other artists, too, as they are forced to write songs that will be played in nightclubs in order to actually sell. JLS were pretty awesome while still on the X Factor, but now all their songs sound exactly the same. And not just the same as their own songs - that I can kind of understand - but the same as everyone else.

Hopefully there's only a couple of songs like that on Owl City's new album, so that he can sell singles. But what do you think? Will all artists eventually sound the same, to appeal to the masses?

Sadly enough, yes. Most artists will change to appeal to more people. I thought Owl City would never change. But, judging by the latest album, even Owl City changed. Adam Young from Owl City is very talented, (at least I think so....) and he could be doing so much better with his songs than what was on The Midsummer Station. Well, I guess I'll just have to listen to Ocean Eyes, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and Maybe I'm Dreaming. Because those are the good Owl City Albums. It's sad. :(

So, I have heard some of the songs in Owl City's new album the Midsummer Station, and they are really 'poppy' sounding - one of the songs (dunno what it's called) reminded me of Katy Perry! I am pretty shocked because usually his songs are so much better than that, i.e actually mean something, and have verses with actual lyrics rather than just repeating the same thing. I mean, listen to Lonely Lullaby, Fireflies, Peppermint Winter, Vanilla Sunset... they bear little resemblence to the morden disco-pap. But now he even has a stupid Justin Bieber haircut!

I'm pretty sure that this is happening to other artists, too, as they are forced to write songs that will be played in nightclubs in order to actually sell. JLS were pretty awesome while still on the X Factor, but now all their songs sound exactly the same. And not just the same as their own songs - that I can kind of understand - but the same as everyone else.

Hopefully there's only a couple of songs like that on Owl City's new album, so that he can sell singles. But what do you think? Will all artists eventually sound the same, to appeal to the masses?
I sure hope not, I'm not that good with music but I LOVE Owl City!!! :) I saw your status the other day about his new album being bad and I couldn't believe my eyes, so I searched the internet for reviews and they gave him bad reviews. :( I hoped his music would stay the same awesome way it is forever but... :( It's so sad how some bands are really good in the beginning but then later on the band breaks up or their songs end up horrible...why change what was perfect just the way it is? :(
P.S. Isn't the song Vanilla Twilight? Not Vanilla Sunset?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I love the song Vanilla Twilight. Mostly, I just love the name. It sounds so cool.

Lol, I love the song Vanilla Twilight. Mostly, I just love the name. It sounds so cool.
I love Vanilla Twilight too and some of my other favorites are Fireflies, Deer in the Headlights, Hot Air Ballon and Butterfly Wings xD And weird as it sounds I liked Owl City because of Literature class LOL, teacher just played a bunch of songs and asked which one was more poetic and Vanilla Twilight was DEFINITELY the most poetic song she played because anything Owl City (except maybe Midsummer Station because IDK everyone says it's bad and I haven't listened to it yet so I wouldn't know myself) = poetic and awesome, I began to respect the figures of speech more. But I liked Owl City before that, I just didn't know it, I liked the song Fireflies but I didn't know it was by Owl City and I thought the band who made it was called Fireflies. (I was like 9 or 10, don't blame me for not knowing things, but still I can't believe how naive and ignorant I was just a few years ago...)

I don't like newer music as much as older stuff because it doesn't mean anything. I love McFly and have scince I was 5, their first 3 albums 'Room on the Third Floor', 'Wonderland' and 'Motion in the Ocean' are the best they've done then there was 'radio:ACTIVE' which was okay but it didn't seem quite right for them, then they brought out 'Above the Noise' and it's horrendous. It just doesn't sound like them at all, if you don't know what I'm talking about listen to '5 Colours in Her Hair' then 'iF U C Kate'.

One morning I went to school and my best friend came up to me and told me that they would run out of chord sequences by 2015 so all "music" would be dubstep. I was seriously depressed at that moment so I decided not to think about it for the rest of the day. Later, I was in my room reading a comic listening to PIL and I remembered what my friend had told me earlier that day. I got seriously depressed and couldn't stop thinking that when we're all older and have kids that they'll know nothing but dubstep. I started crying because people would forget bands such as-

-Queen

-The Who

-Sex Pistols

-The Beatles

-The Rolling Stones and loads more. They made proper music. Freddie Mercury wrote the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' all by himself and everyone knows it, 'The Muppets' even covered it, that's how awesome it is.

A few days later I had a dream where I was in my kitchen talking to my kids. I was telling them all about proper music and then played some for them. Both my kids turned round to me and said 'dubstep is better'. My dream was a lot more detailed but thats the gist of it. Anyway, I woke up because my face was wet, I had rolled over to lay on my side so my face was now touching my pillow. The sides of my hair, face and pillow were soaked in my tears because my dream had upset me that much. I couldn't get back to sleep because I felt sick from all my crying.

I try not to think about the 2015 thing because every time I do I get seriously depressed, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I also get upset when I think that terrible songs have taken the chords that someone could have made a good song with. A massive problem in music today is that you get people that can sing well but aren't given good lyrics/can't write good lyrics, People who can't sing and are given good lyrics/write good lyrics and people that can't sing and aren't given good lyrics/write good lyrics.

Sorry the last paragraphs a bit confusing but that's the best I could word it :).

I just listened to some of Owl City's new songs on Youtube. I guess Shooting Star was ok even though it seems to be copied from Katy Perry's Fireworks but Good Time was HORRIBLE, the lyrics basically just repeat themselves over and over again ("It's always a good time") Owl City's new songs are less poetic and more repetitive... :(

Sadly that's basically what's happening to most bands these days....(WHY, CARLY RAE JEPSEN, WHY?!)

Lol, whenever anyone says they're an Owl City fan and sings Good Time by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen I'm like, "Don't. That is the worst Owl City music ever. Sing Dental Care or Deer in the Headlights, or even The Bird and the Worm if you want. But do NOT sing Good Time around me." and then the other person says, "What are those songs?" Grrr. :D

I like Owl City too... shame he had to go ahead and do a cheesy duet with Carly Rae Jepsen (sorry, I must say I am NOT a fan of her).

Wow, lotsa love for the Owl! :) And everyone loves the same albums/song as I do, too! My absolute favourites are Early Birdie, Vanilla Twilight, Plant Life, Umbrella Beach, Lonely Lullaby (it makes me cry though!), Peppermint Winter, To The Sky and Rugs From Me To You (for the puns.) They are all either poetic and meaningful or very uplifting. But people just don't like 'proper' music anymore. I mean, which mordern 'band' (excepting Coldplay - they're quite morden I guess) plays instruments? Nirvana, Queen, Abba, [The] Pink Floyd (they took away 'the' when Syd left),The Beatles, Madness and The Blockheads (both the last two are personal favourites.) all played instruments and wrote their own music and lyrics. Nowadays the only artists which write their own music and lyrics are Owl City and stupid Lady Gaga! And she doesn't count because she's pretty rubbish.

By the way, Chris Evans said Good Times sounded like Mika! He has a point...

I still can't believe people like "Good Time" so much and that it's a "hit" or whatever. Owl City used to have more poetic lyrics and stuff but now it's just more repetitive (I think I'm just repeating what I said in an earlier post but I have to say it again), despite that I won't go ranting about how bad the new album is or whatever anymore I won't hate on it. Instead it'll just be my least favorite. It's a shame how good music slowly turns into...something else. But hopefully Owl City's next album will be more like Ocean Eyes rather than Midsummer Station.

Owl City's new songs are less poetic and more repetitive... :( Sadly that's basically what's happening to most bands these days....(WHY, CARLY RAE JEPSEN, WHY?!)
I actaully like some of the songs off of Owl Citys new album (this is coming from someones whos been a fan since firefiles). but I gotta say that I agree with what blue green said right here. it just seems like every band isnt that good anymore (at least one of my fave bands coldplay still has some good songs and no auto tune) I mean how else did We are young by Fun. get popular? its because it was about getting drunk and stuff yet that just seems like what all songs are like now a days everything now a days is just auto tune

I actaully like some of the songs off of Owl Citys new album (this is coming from someones whos been a fan since firefiles). but I gotta say that I agree with what blue green said right here. it just seems like every band isnt that good anymore (at least one of my fave bands coldplay still has some good songs and no auto tune) I mean how else did We are young by Fun. get popular? its because it was about getting drunk and stuff yet that just seems like what all songs are like now a days everything now a days is just auto tune
It got pupular due to it being in a superbowl ad/covered on glee tbh.

I am quite dissapointed that everything is turning into pop/dance music.

On Halloween I went to a Gothic night club. I was expecting the typical Gothic music that I'm accustomed to.

Instead all that played was this awful "dubstep" whatever. It was horrible, but not as bad if I had went to a normal club where they play rap music and people dance disgustingly.

I am very dissapointed in this "new age" Gothic scene.

I guess I'm just old fashioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back