Do you think it could work?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cieletchi

Reaction score
Well, Im thinking of buying a Tamagotchi ID-L, but I don't know TAMA about Japanese language, I am googling English to Japanese images, this is one that I have my suspicions on...

Japanese+alphabet.jpg

What do you think?

The Japanese use three alphabets.

The main one is Kanji. In Kanji, each character represents an entire word. There are thousands of Kanji characters.

The other two are Hiragana and Katakana. These two are phonetic; each character represents a sound. Hiragana is mostly used to spell out words in situations where the reader is not expected to understand the Kanji. (e.g. for text written for children, or for obscure words in text written for adults.) Katakana is used mostly to spell out foreign words (e.g. "computer", "coffee", "burger", "ice cream").

The chart you've shown is Katakana. Both Hiragana and Katakana can be found on the Tamagotchi iD L.

Well, Im thinking of buying a Tamagotchi ID-L, but I don't know TAMA about Japanese language, I am googling English to Japanese images, this is one that I have my suspicions on...

Japanese+alphabet.jpg

What do you think?
Some of the pronounciations in the chart are wrong. For example, where it says "szi," it is supposed to be "shi." Where it says "czi," it is supposed to be "chi." And a few others.

I have no clue about what both of you are talking about... :(

Whatever, Ill stick to V6 and V5, thank you all for help! :kuribotchi:

They are saying you need to find a chart of Haragana too. Katakana chart you have seems to have errors. Then they are pointing out the errors to help you.

Its still playable without the chart if you memorize where things are. The chart just helps you read the japanese words.

Given, you need to match the symbols on either chart. Then get the japanese word. Then translate using google translate.

It really isn't that hard to understand the iD L, even if you don't know Japanese. Anyone has ever had a tama can easily understand the Japanese ones. And if you're interested, you could always get that new english iD L.

Okay, so I get Higarana and Katana, thats it?
Two Japanese alphabets: Hiragana and Katakana.

A third alphabet, where each symbol actually represents an entire concept, not just part of a word: Kanji (these are usually the "more complicated" symbols). *As stated, the iD L doesn't use any kanji characters*

I would start by memorizing the Hiragana, then the Katakana chart; both have different symbols for the same sounds (sort of like lowercase and uppercase, but not exactly the same concept).

See if you can get Japanese From Zero on Amazon. I use a combination of the Genki books and Nakama. But really, you don't need either to start memorizing the alphabets--just a couple of charts and a good pronunciation guide.

I'm sure if you told your parents you're interested in learning Japanese, they might be very willing to help get you started!

...and if you have a torrent utility, you could find a lot of free stuff.....allegedly. ;)

But if you just want to use the iD L and look up some of the stuff that comes up, really just have a chart of the Hiragana and Katakana handy so you can transcribe into Romaji (Japanese words using our Roman alphabet) and look them up in an online Japanese/English dictionary.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use guides on this forum to get your way through learning how to play the "game" - otherwise the tamas are pretty simple like normal tamagotchi. It just has a few other features that you can otherwise memorize. (i.e.- second thing on this list is a store, third thing on this list is a park yadda yadda yadda....)

I would say learn Japanese if you really want to - the problem I think you will face is that you are looking for a quick way of getting English from the Japanese text, but what you are going to find is romanized text of Japanese. So, unless you understand the Japanese words, you still might be a little lost cause it won't spell out English words this way.... :/

-Purn

It really isn't that hard to understand the iD L, even if you don't know Japanese. Anyone has ever had a tama can easily understand the Japanese ones. And if you're interested, you could always get that new english iD L.
WAIT! There is an English ID L? When did this happen!!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back