Photo
- - - - -

Learning Japanese?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sangseok

• sangseok user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:24 AM ( #1 )

I wish to learn basic Japanese to better understand my Japanese tamas. I don't care for the English iD L as I like learning new languages... if only there was tamagotchi in Korean B)
Anyways, can anyone suggest some good sites to start learning katakana and all that?
  • StenoTim likes this

Replies

Views

Started

12 Sep 2012

Last Post

14 Sep 2012

CactuarLOL

• cactuarlol user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:41 AM ( #2 )

|I used the Pimsleur learn Japanese audiobooks along with http://www.japanesepod101.com/ for getting started, I also purchase three books; Lets Learn Hiragana, Lets Learn Katakana, and Lets Learn Kanji.

I would recommend starting to learn the Hiragana characters first along with starting the audiobooks, That way you can start to write out the words you are learning in the lessons which will help you become more fluent at reading and writing, you can do the same with the Katakana once you are confident with your Hiragana (Katakana is is mostly used to transcribe foreign words, while Hiragana is used for Japanese words)
The Kanji you can work at slowly, there are about 5000 characters so you should aim to learn a few a week but more important (in my opinion) is getting the Hiragana and Katakana down, the Kanji can be left until last and you'll still be able to read/write in Japanese (although to a native it would seem to be written by a child).

At the beginning I started by learning a set of characters of Hiragana per weak (A, I, E, U, O for example), and writing out a sheet for each character (So say an a4 piece of lined paper filled with A the same for I and so on) so i got used to writing/reading each character (Repetition is key when learning new characters)

With the Pilmsleur lessons, i bought a big notebook, for each lesson I wrote down the sentences and words as they are spoken (In romaji, which for example would be Ko Ni Chi Wa) Next to which i wrote the English (Hello/Good afternoon) then after that I would write down the Hiragana of the word, I usually listened to each lesson more than once so that it would sink in properly and give me a chance to write down the letters.

For the Kanji learn a few characters a week and try making some flashcards, but like I said get the Hiragana and Katakana out of the way first.

Its really easy to learn Japanese, all you need is a routine of learning and the willpower to stick with it, this is how I learned basic Japanese for each person it's different, everyone learns differently.

One last thing i'll say is that at some point you WILL need either lessons or to be able to speak with somebody fluent in Japanese to progress, books and audiofiles can only carry you so far (which for some is far enough) and if you with to progress with your spoken Japanese then I would recommend finding a tutor.

Edit: Had to remove all the Japanese characters from the post because the forum doesn't seem to support them.

Edited by CactuarLOL, 12 September 2012 - 06:42 AM.

Amat Gotchi

• amat-gotchi user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:57 PM ( #3 )

Oh, wow! Thanks, I've been looking for a good program for almost 2 years now, and all the ones I have have significant drawbacks.
Shopping list: Let's Learn Kanji, Pimsleur, JapanesePod101 account (is that free, and if I have one do I really need Pimsleur?)
Thanks again! :D