Gen 1 Screw Story *long*

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait

Reaction score
So the past few days have been a rollercoaster of emotions for me, and I just wanted to share my experience with older model's screws since I had done a lot of research on these forums beforehand.

** Sorry in advance for the quality of these photos. I am lazy and don't want to get a real camera. Cell phone + email is so much more convenient! B)

** Also, keeping these to links of pictures because the photos are rather large to post here.

My favourite, and first purchased, Tamagotchi is orange. A lot of things are orange in my life, and therefore liking orange Tamagotchis best comes naturally. For a while, I had been eyeing the orange/yellow Japanese gen 1 Tamagotchi... you know, the one that typically can run $50 and looks like this:

https://i48.tinypic.com/xnc9dk.jpg

I ended up stumbling across one while refreshing Ebay at work - $19.99 buy out! I snatched it immediately. Shipping was something like $5.50, so it was awesome (Canadian dollars, btw).

I was suuuper excited. This Tamagotchi is my favourite generation 1. I love the colors, and I especially love the design.

So, it arrives at my house. I'm ecstatic. Being super anal about corroded batteries, I carefully cut the tape and pop the Tamagotchi out the bottom of the package. I grab my handy-dandy screwdriver that I use for 99% of my Tamagotchis, and begin unscrewing. Well.. it's not really turning. I keep slipping. I get worried, and call up my father (works as an electrical technician of sorts - so perfect for the job!) to maybe help me. I knew it'd be worth the wait.

Dad's turn and he can't open it. The screws are so old that they aren't really holding. He turns me away saying he can't open it. I leave, being really upset because again, I'm anal and want the batteries out ASAP. Later at home, I looked on a lot of forums and guide of how to get out tough screws. I tried everything. Rubber band, oil, wet cloth - it wouldn't budge without slipping. Of course I was frustrated, and among trying all of the above ways... I had stripped the screws. Yes, of my beloved, favourite generation 1 Tamagotchi that I found for a wicked deal. I was really sad.

Again, I hit the forums looking for ways to get the screws out. I read a lot of posts with using a tiiiny drill bit to power screw them out. So - went back to my father and he was able to get parts to hopefully get these screws out.

For about 3 hours, we stood at the kitchen counter trying to get them out and it just wasn't happening. Even after the heads were finally removed, the screw tails were embedded in the plastic underneath. You'd think some pliers would pull/twist them out - but the metal was SO soft, and you couldn't even grasp it without it just breaking away.

I was frustrated to the extreme. After spending hours carefully trying to remove the screws with a drill.. this is what the back panel looked like:

https://i45.tinypic.com/51olma.jpg

My father told me before he went drilling into my toy that if anything happened to it - I couldn't complain. I followed, and kept my mouth shut. He did try as best he could to get those screw heads off. I was quite upset the holes in the back were now ruined, and unuseable. But - it wasn't over. I held my emotions back.

Even though the back was off, there was no way I could replace the screws with the little screw tails stuck in the plastic. Out of desperation, I asked my father to continue trying his best to get them out, and they weren't budging.

I was heartbroken. Heartbroken more than I would ever expect to be over a toy. Not to sound silly, but I was crying. This was my favourite faceplate/color scheme (let me stress that), and I really strive to keep my Tamagotchis in perfect condition. After removing batteries, I put them back in the package and seal it up - keeping them safe. To see this Tamagotchi's back all beaten up really hurt.

A while later, my boyfriend found out how upset I was. Heck, even my MOTHER somehow knew (perhaps he told her). They both reassured me it was just a toy and I'd find another. My Mom was even looking at Devilgotchis online (LOL, should've let her keep going). After a while, my boyfriend purchased a new one on Ebay for $50 + $15 shipping.

At this point, I was happy.. but still upset over what I had done to the original. I was frustrated with the screws, and again went back to my father asking him to get them out as best he could. We went back at it with a drill for the 3rd time.

A few yelps from me later, they came out. It's incredible how tough they were.. but the softness of the metal was what did it. The inside ended up looking like this:

https://i50.tinypic.com/w20lxv.jpg

At this point, the toy was worthless. It was no longer in acceptable condition to me, and in it's honor, I decided I'd use it. I mean, I might as well.. after all this work. It's my favourite, and if I was that upset over ruining the screw holes in the first place, it deserves to be cherished. In the heat of the moment, I decided to put clear nail polish over the top "TAMAGOTCH" decoration (it really adds to why I love it so much) because if I were to use it, I'd still not want to scuff off that banner.

Well, 5 seconds later my boyfriend asks me something to do with the back holes, and I flip it over in my hand (obviously not thinking). When I realise the nail polish is still wet, I freak out again and try and brush off where some little dust bits got caught in it. OF COURSE, next I scuff off the paint. Brushing at the nail polish also picked up the paint under it, and yep - I scratched the decoration. It's hard to see, but there's a line scratched through the "GOTCH" part:

https://i46.tinypic.com/qougwl.jpg

I don't know why it got to me so much, but I seriously broke down at this point. It was as if all my good intentions were getting horribly ruined. In my mind, I destroyed this beloved toy. It took me a while to get over it, but I feel okay at this point. I've decided to find new screws that will have large enough heads to fit in the back, and that the scuff on the front should just be a reminder of how I tried to keep it safe.

It's still very special to me. The new one in the mail will be special, as well, but I plan to keep than locked away from everyone (even myself), lol. This once perfect generation 1 will now be taken around and see the world with me (21 - I do lots of things! ;) ). I won't be afraid to drop it. I won't be afraid to scratch it with my car keys. It shall be enjoyed as it was meant to be.

Last photo is of my (one two, now three) main Tamagotchis. Note the color coordination I've got going on!

https://i47.tinypic.com/54ac9c.jpg

Dark orange = first official Tamagotchi I purchased, connection v1

Yellow = English IDL

Orange/yellow = obviously the poor gen 1 that will now be treated as royalty.

If you've actually read all of this - yay! I just really wanted to share my experience since it was pretty intense.. and as I said earlier - I used these forums as a resource before trying what I did. Not to say that it's a bad way... I'm sure it works perfectly for some, I just had an unfortunate time with it.

Cheers~!

wow what a long story! i'm glad that it will be able to be used as it should for the rest of its life!

This makes me very scared, I have a Devilgotchi arriving in the post in a week or so and i'm already wary about changing the batteries, But I guess it needs to be done sooner rather than later and if I get the screws out with no problem then I can find some different ones to replace them with.

How is your Tama's back attached now the original screws are destroyed? Is it just taped or did you find replacement screws?

This makes me very scared, I have a Devilgotchi arriving in the post in a week or so and i'm already wary about changing the batteries, But I guess it needs to be done sooner rather than later and if I get the screws out with no problem then I can find some different ones to replace them with.

How is your Tama's back attached now the original screws are destroyed? Is it just taped or did you find replacement screws?
You might be a bit better off- I had two Japanese Angelgotchis arrive recently and the screws were "okay." They were still a bit troublesome, but just that initial removal is what matters since you wouldn't screw them back in nearly as tight :)

I would recommend checking the batteries out, though. Especially with one of that price. One of the two Angelgotchis had batteries that were just starting to corrode. There was a tiny bit of acid on the inside, but luckily, it was only hitting the plastic pull tab.

Since my father works with electric stuff, he's been bringing me screws of different sizes. I just need to find one with large enough heads and thick enough tail to cut a new hole in the plastic. I'd tape it, but I don't want it to get all sticky :p I guess I'm still kind of protective over this thing.

RIP Tamagotchi V1. I know a Widget that stimulates a V1, And I can give you the link, PM me for the link.

Just a note about the screws on the back of your Tamagotchis: they're not Phillips; they're JIS, which is not quite the same as Phillips. Using a Phillips screwdriver on a JIS screw can, as you've seen, strip the head. (Yes, I know the screw shafts were stuck solid in your case, but when they're not that stuck, you can generally get them out without damage by using the correct screwdriver.) You may be able to find JIS screwdrivers at a hobby shop (the type of shop that sells remote-control model airplane parts), otherwise they can be ordered through an online shop (just google "JIS screwdrivers".)

Just a note about the screws on the back of your Tamagotchis: they're not Phillips; they're JIS, which is not quite the same as Phillips. Using a Phillips screwdriver on a JIS screw can, as you've seen, strip the head. (Yes, I know the screw shafts were stuck solid in your case, but when they're not that stuck, you can generally get them out without damage by using the correct screwdriver.) You may be able to find JIS screwdrivers at a hobby shop (the type of shop that sells remote-control model airplane parts), otherwise they can be ordered through an online shop (just google "JIS screwdrivers".)
Oh wow, I did not know this. Thank you! I'll definitely be investing in one of these :D

OMG I know exactly how you feel. I have a couple ancestor tamas with some damage to their backs due to the fact that I couldn't get the screws out. Normally I'm able to drill off the screw head and then use pliers to remove the rest of it. And the damage is nothing that a little nail polish can't improve... But it's heartbreaking regardless because I'm the same... I hate having the batteries sit in there and I desperately try to keep my collections in mint condition.

I'm actually staring at the latest one I bought and trying to decide how to best get the screws out! I took my Devilgotchi to a jeweler's and even they couldn't get the screws out without breaking them! So as a result they had to drill them out and replace them with custom screws. The screw heads are about the size of the ones in the Connections... So ten times easier to unscrew now but a little obnoxious looking.

I think the fact that they are JIS screws needs to be plastered EVERYWHERE. Cuz I had no idea and even when I was searching online nothing like that came up. Had I known I probably could have saved a lot of time and effort... LOL

I suppose the next question would be what size JIS screwdriver do you need?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I found a JIS head micro screwdriver, used it on my Devilgotchi, the back opened fine with no damage at all to the screw heads, the screws are still in perfect condition.

Know the feeling too :(

Never heard of those screwdrivers, had no clue that the brand would matter at all tbh!

My Angel and Mothra both had a stripped screw that I just couldn't get out, I took them to a local jeweler yesterday and he removed them in 5mins :p

He didn't even charge me anything.

So the screws are out, no damage to the backplate but the only problem now is that I have no screws to keep the plate on and I had to tape it on :(

I have some random p2's where i wanted to use the screws from but for the Mothra the screw-holes are so tight that you almost have to force them in, that's the reason why they were stuck in the first place I guess.

I suppose the next question would be what size JIS screwdriver do you need?
I believe it's #0. When you use the proper size screwdriver, it fits snug; no wiggle room at all.

I just ordered a set of 00-2 (so 4 in there) for $15 off Amazon + $5 shipping :)

Looking at that site that compares the two is horrifying - that arch on the Phillips.. oh gosh. No wonder. On the bright side, I did receive my replacement Tama in the mail today thanks to a wonderful boyfriend. The one that's been operated on (as seen above) is now a happy baby boy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, But on the plus side you now have a long unique story o "History" with your beloved P1. I've been told a multitude of times to take them to a watch store or jewelry store to get tiny stripped screws removed. there was a watch store in my mall that did it for me. Also when my boyfriend decided to play with my TMGC+C and accidentally drop it they fixed the screen to a near mint condition after it was scratched horribly. He had dropped it between the wall and bed so it had more than just a quick scratch.

Agreed! :D I can now use one that I adore with no fear of making it any worse, LOL. I'm 100% heading to a jeweller/watch doctor next time. I really wish I had done that in the first place. I ended up growing restless trying to find the right size screws, and just taped the back with black electrical tape. Not the prettiest, and I'm definitely not feeling it... but I cut it and lined it up evenly and all of that. It's /okay/ ... but I'm just thankful I can now use the little one after all it's been through. I nearly drilled right threw his body :(

I didn't realize they could fix screens? :eek: I'll keep that in mind in case anything happens to mine. Each of mine have been fine so far (knock on wood), but I make sure to store them in spots where they should avoid those possibilities. Can't really do much about other people dropping it! D:

Your story makes me want to cry. :( I recieved a brand new angelgotchi in the mail today and my excitement got the better of me. Long story short, I got one of the screws out with no problems, the other was not so nice and the plastic on the back casing got scratched up a bit as a result of its removal which involved using a screwdriver to "cut" a new groove in the head.

My handy friend who was able to remove the screw luckily had an eyeglass repair kit and was able to give me a replacement screw. After putting in new batteries, it seemed to have other issues so I just set it aside while I went about my day running errands and such, figuring I'd look at it more later.

So when I get home late tonight (after midnight) I figure I'll see if I can figure out whats wrong, the replacement screw comes out easily, the other original screw does not. Now I am wishing it wasn't so late and there was a jeweler near by and I could get it out and maybe actually get it working even if I have to cheat time a bit so I can play with it some.

I've gotten replacement screws if I can get the old one out, and I have high hopes for the little guy/gal but have been freaking out all the same just because of the 'sticky' screw situation.

So glad you were able to get yours working and it will be cherished, cross your fingers that I will be as lucky. :)

I'm sure you will! At least the back of your case isn't destroyed :D

I'm hoping I can someday find a bunch of replacement screws to just keep around in case something like this happens again :/

My JIS screwdrivers arrived a few days ago, and they're FANTASTIC. I used to strain myself so much with a Phillips Head every time I wanted to remove a screw, but it's so easy with the JIS ones!

So, I found a JIS head micro screwdriver, used it on my Devilgotchi, the back opened fine with no damage at all to the screw heads, the screws are still in perfect condition.
So, would using a JIS on Devilgotchi screws prevent the heads from breaking off? Because that's my biggest worry. :/ I know that the Devil screws are notoriously soft, but are they really that much softer than the regular vintage ones? I'm having a hard time finding replacement screws, but i also don't want to keep the Devil screws in if there's even a slight chance that they could break off over time. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back