Too much money for tamagotchis?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mickymartyrdom

Reaction score
Hai I'm new here ^__^

But anyways, maybe its just me but i think that like $50 or $60 is TOO much money to spend on a tamagotchi!! D:<

Like i understand that the rare ones are a tad pricey, but i reaaally want an ID l but it's REAAALLY expensive.

I saw them on ebay for like $50 $60 even $80!! $50 dollars is a lot of money to me considering how much stuff i could buy with $50....

I

DONT

UNDERSTAAAND Dx

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the thing ----

Japanese iD L's costs are based on Japan's commodity price, which is basically more expensive than many countries. These iD L's cost roughly 5000 Yen in Japan, which equates to about $50-60.

In general, everything in Japan is "more expensive" compared to North American retail. If these products were to be produced and distributed locally in North America, it will generally cost less than what it does in Japan.

However, this is not the case, since these releases are Japan-exclusive. The only means of acquiring these products is by purchasing them online, and we have to put up with their costs; not to mention some people selling it for profits as well.

It's really pointless to compare a product's retail price from one country to another, as they have different currencies and economies.

I agree with ichiro.malfoy

Im in the UK n $50 for me is around £36 and thats pretty much the same price as an Xbox or DS game. It really depends on economy, inflation and the strength of your currency.

I do have to say that I dont think an iDL is over priced considering the technology it has, along with granting you access to an online world (when it works), so compare it to the latest Furby: when they first came out in the 90's you would pay around £30 for them n now the new ones are £60 thats the same as $96.

The iDL is very much the latest thing and its bound to go down in price over time so the best thing would be to wait or hope that you get one for Christmas.

This topic might help you out on that: https://www.tamatalk....-i-get-an-id-l/ (If you want to know about the features)

As others have said, I don't think the ID-L is expensive, really. It just seems like its a lot because we are outside Japan and we need to pay for shipping.. :p

If you want expensive, try $150 - $250 for an iD Lovely Melody version xD

Well, for me 60$ is expensive, because it's around 180-200 PLN here, what's quite a bit for a poor country (well, 3DS games cost around this much here too anyway). Plus I have to still rely on my mother's money, as I don't get mine yet.

If you think 60$ for an iD L is expensive, devilgotchis that are from 90's and don't have that many options and are tiny cost around 500$. You can buy three 3DS' for that many.

* Topic moved to What's On Your Mind * forum

It's always frustrating when you wish for things that are too expensive for you - and you're right - there are alot of things you can buy for $50.

The question is, do you want the iD L more than those other things you could buy - or is it just not worth it yet?

Only you and your personal / financial circumstances can answer that.

Personally, I think the equivalent of $50-$70 spent on an OBEY sweat shirt or a pair of Converse is too much (my kids disagree...) :p

This topic prepared by Purpurn gives everyone a rough guide to the kinds of prices currently being charged for various versions of tamagotchis: https://www.tamatalk....r-tradesellbuy/ you might find it useful to help you come to terms with the going rate for tamas.

If I once paid $800 for an Aibo I could pay $60 plus shipping for an IDL if I was the type to order overseas.

I never really saw this as a problem so much as a sacrifice. I just built up, gradually buying more and more expensive Tamas, and after 6 years I'm less than halfway through that. Launching into Tamas with an iD L is like learning your second language at the same time as your first - in fact it's exactly like that, because you need to know English Tamas really well in order to navigate a Japanese one. Start with a V3 or V4 - that's a typical Tamagotchi. If you like it, try getting more expensive, and as your love of Tamas builds, so will the amount you're prepared to pay for them. If you just keep at a medium amount of your interest in Tamas, then stick to cheaper, simpler versions, and that's fine! You can definitely be a true Tama fan without having an iD L.

You know, I don't think you know how buying things work. You seem like a person with rich parents. (No offence.)

They can buy you anything or just give you enough money monthly for you to afford that.

I LOVE tamas, I really really do. I have few japanese versions and yes, they are worth the money.

But really, sometimes there are more important things you need to buy. Taxes, bills, food, pet's food, fixing electronics.

You can't just get ready to buy something more expensive gradually.

I'm glad I have 20 tamas in my collection (soon to be 21), but still looking at some collections of people here makes me feel... worse.

I once looked at christmas presents of some people o TamaZone and... It just... Amazes me. I can't imagine getting a christmas present worth 500$...Not talking about tamas.

Buy the iD L if you really, really want to, but if it is financially out of the question for you, get an older black-and-white one. Many of those have features that are more interesting than the iD L. There are so many versions available. Go for what you want the most.

Dazz is right, if you want an iD L, you should be able to navigate an English Tamagotchi pretty well. But there are English iD Ls available.

Jhud, I agree, you can't always expect people to buy things for you. My parents won't pay for many things for me, other than holiday/birthday gifts (which are never Tamagotchi-related). I'm now able to buy a few things with my own money because of my small allowance which comes from chores I am sporadically able to do, and babysitting (when will those clients call me again? :rolleyes: ).

But whatever you decide, make sure it's what you know you want.

I'm glad I have 20 tamas in my collection (soon to be 21), but still looking at some collections of people here makes me feel... worse.
Yeah, I know how you feel...I have 18 Tamagotchis, which is more than quite a few people, but it's hardly any compared to other people. :( I have two color Tamagotchis...one was given to me by Dazzmina (I met her in real life) and the other, I bought without telling my mama how much it cost. :/

In my case, most of them are connections, and quite many of them are repeated. (three or so v3's, two v4's, two v4.5's, two akais... etc)

I also have two color tamagotchis, iD and iD L.

I'm proud I have few versions probably nobody in my country has (Akais, Hanerutchi 2..)

I don't have a bank account or a credit card, my mom is technically imparied so she won't make a paypal account and I'm too scared to do this and she doesn't have a credit card either... Trust me, asking my uncle for things is EMBARASSING. Especially when he isn't biologically my uncle, he is just my mom's friend... Good that he can be nice enough to not take money for the tama, but still... It doesn't always happen, and my mom pays for too many things already.

If I could, I wouldn't even look for a cheapest tama possible. And if I even do, my mom has no reason to buy me one, because I don't progress well at school anyway...

You know, I don't think you know how buying things work. You seem like a person with rich parents. (No offence.)

They can buy you anything or just give you enough money monthly for you to afford that.
How about being old enough and working for money yourself? ;)

I too have bought many expensive Tama's for my collection including a Devilgotch.

But I have a monthly budget that I can spend on non household stuff. So basicly don't expect to have a full collection in 1 day and build it up with time.

Start with models you prefer the most, but if it's your first Tamagotchi ever I would start with something cheap just to try it out.

I agree that tamas are expensive, but since there are people (like myself) who are willing to pay, the prices probably won't go down any time soon.

oh dear god

e.e
I spent about 90 dollars for an ID L english from Singapore (arriving soon hopefully) then 55 on a angelgotchi from 1997. The price is what people will pay to get it, with the older ones their prices go up because it gets harder to find working ones. The new ones there are all kinds of costs, depending on the countries economy, shipping fees and if the seller is trying to make a profit. Most companies wont sell items over seas directly, so you have to go through people that went out and bought a bunch to sell and that adds money onto the price right there.

It is how it is.

Stefke, no, I can't go to work. I'm neither old enough nor anybody can get a job where I live, even for stupid things like babysitting (what's not for me, I don't like kids and I guess stressing them out is not what it's about. And walking dogs is not a thing here either. Literally there is no part time job I can get.)

Plus, Dazzmina is 11, so I don't think she can work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back