Very Little Collector Value for new Tamagotchis?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzie

Reaction score
I am just getting back into tamagotchis and am in the middle of ordering a Tama ID L from Chobitsuu of my very own, but there is something I've noticed about the latest batch of tamas that have been coming out....

The Tama +C, Tama ID, Tama ID L, Tama-Go and soon to be Tama P all have very basic feminine designs. The collector value of the old tamas have been somewhat the game play (devil tama seems to have the most value per gameplay) and then a lot of it was the shell design and art. With the new tamas there is no rarity with the shell designs.

Infact the most recent tama to come to the US (The Tama-Go) looks more like a cheap McDonalds toy than a tamagotchi, I am assuming other than game play our newest tamagotchis are going to be rather cheap resale value in the future, for the IDs the spacy ID L, anniversary ID L, and the Melody P may have some extra value but the Tama-Go I dont think will have much value ever, other than maybe some of the figurines some people seem to like.

Whats your opinion on the evolution of the Tamagotchi design? I think it is a De-Evolution of the design, and I'd like to see more of the old split colors and decorated shells to be adapted into the newer tamagotchis.

I do think it somewhat "depreciates" certain unique shell design aspects. Most of the newer ones aren't released with with different quantities for different colors so it's a pretty level, in some ways it's good and bad. People can't jack up a price for a "unique" shell but it's a little bland unless you actually feel brave enough to doodle/decorate your tama. I think the focus though has turned to it not being a "pretty" design but they improved other more internal aspects (gameplay and whatnot.)

True its good that they've focused on the game of the virtual pet itself somewhat, though still the shells were a big part of tamagotchis for me when I was younger. It might have been because I could never get my own and the only way I could get tamagotchis was by fixing broken ones kids didnt want anymore. So I'd open them up and at that point begin swapping stuff around to get the perfect shell on my favorite, replace the buttons on good ones from ones that didnt work at all etc.

When I get my ID L, depending on how easy it is to take apart I am hoping to modify it a bit to look a bit more like the first ones. I know I cant do much with the jewel cover but the shell I can fiddle with at least.

I think they will have a collectors value but due to different reasons and in a different way. The Tama-go its not popular and not released in a lot of countries so in a few year it should create a value for it's self. As for the +C n iD's ect they are still essentially the first wave of colour screen Tamas combined with them being only available in places like Japan their value is bound to go up due to complications of getting hold of one

I've been thinking of that lately, too, how the new versions don't have all these different shell designs. However, there are recent versions that are variations of other versions, e.g, the ID Melody Version and iD L 15th Anniversary Version, that are very rare and valuable. And there ARE colors of new versions that are rarer than others...for example, white is rare for the Tamagotchi iD L, and for some reason green seems to cost more.

My guess is that it is too much trouble to make various shell designs for versions like Tama-Go and the colors.

I have to agree that most collectors are collecting the shell designs, but when it comes to the colour series, I actually find the plain colour shells to be more visually appealing. They don't detract from the gameplay at all, and to me, it actually enhances it. I like having those little sparkles on the iD L, and I like the gem vibe with the iD. The + color was simple, but it worked so well considering it was the first color tamagotchi.

With the whole wallpaper changing options with the iD L, the shell design isn't something I would personally worry about.

And when it gets right down to it, its pretty much impossible to get every shell design of every single tamagotchi version. You would have to have a lot of money at your disposal and be really lucky, and have started collecting from the very beginning.

So, as a casual collector, i'm more interested in the shell designs of the connection series that I like, and getting at least 1 of the new colour series when they are released :)

I kind of wish they put out some some shell protectors, then at least they could add back in some of the fun of collecting different designs by collecting protectors for the tama. Then all the people who like to modify and repaint will have something they can paint on and put stickers on with out worrying about destroying an expensive item. The shell could just be the exact shape of the tama with a bit of padding, then a clear plastic screen to see the tama screen, and an opening to allow access to the buttons. I saw a picture of something like that for an angelgotchi.

I'm too tired to fully answer the whole question now, but all I can say is that one thing that is unnapealling to me in the newer versions is... screen. Seriously. The newer version the screen is weaker. What the heck?

iD seems to have a way more scratchproof screen than the iD L. I scratched my L with a cotton stick because the sticky part happened to touch the screen accidentaly and bam, an ugly scratch is there.. I didn't even press hard!

Meanwhile on the Entama I bought second-hand there is absolutely no scratch. Not even one. And quite worn up on the outside v2 I got second had too had screen in a way better condition than my v3's as well...

On the shells... I don't have enough money to buy all the shells I like. Most of my connections are european, and I think european shells are super ugly... Even the logo looks terrible, ugh.

And it's bad, because it might be stupid but shells REALLY do change a gameplay for me. I don't know why, but... It's just this way.

And I really love iD L's design, by the way. It's neither bland nor overfilled!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do wonder if the reason for the lack of different shells is because the Color series is more expensive to produce. It might seem like that. Though, you can also say that the downloadable content makes up for that.

I do wonder if the reason for the lack of different shells is because the Color series is more expensive to produce. It might seem like that. Though, you can also say that the downloadable content makes up for that.
True but they should at least release some protective shells that could have neat designs that you can snap over your tama! Also they went into a very girly route, I am really surprised any guy buys these with how girly the ID L's etc look. I was a bit iffy about getting one and Im a girl (not girly girl)

They should have gone for a more gender neutral and made accessories to customize your tama, like stickers, shells and charms. It would be a big money maker for BanDai if they did shells because from what I've read many are very protective of their tamas. From how many act you'd think it was the end of the world because the screen got scuffed.

Lol the colour series shells are made to reflect the ever increasing girly girl market in Japan. The Japanese are the culture of cute and so its not surprising that the shells will try and cater to those young girls in Japan.

I had a thought, though...It would be neat if Bandai did a different design for each color, you know, so there would only be six different designs (one for each color) but they'd look awesome. You know, like the pink one could have flowers, the blue one could have bubbles, and stuff like that...just to make it a little more fancy. :p

You know, in Japan not only girls like sparkly things. There is a bunch of kawaii guys out there too who enjoy things like this and paint their nails, while NOT being even homosexual. It's just a part of their culture.

I never got a Tama-Go, because I thought they looked cheap. I sort of regret it now (because I have a bit of everything else). I love the colors of the vintages and the connections, but I was never a fan of the silly antennas on top of the tamagotchis. They just got in the way for me. When V6 came out, I was 'Yes! Back to the original design!' And that was the last of the black and white tamagotchis that were thin. :(

I dont think there is really a 'collect them all' mentality with the new Tamagotchis ID's because they are all the same and just the same color. The Tama-Go's sort of have the collecting mentality with the figures, but I'd rather be collecting different tamagotchi styles than figures. The Tama-Go would have probably did well if they sold the tama-go alone then let you get the figures from like happy meals or something.

Sometimes I wonder if even the originals will hold their value let alone the new ones. The originals are about twenty years old or more and most electronic devices don't last that long. It's probably only a matter of time before most if not all original Tamagotchis won't function properly. I don't doubt that there will be people who want to collect them anyway but most people who buy old Tamagotchis buy them to play with them. Those people won't have any reason to buy them once they stop working. And many of those old Tamagotchis that are kept sealed may already be bad. It's generally not a good idea to leave a battery in an electronic device for twenty years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I wonder if even the originals will hold their value let alone the new ones. The originals are about twenty years old or more and most electronic devices don't last that long. It's probably only a matter of time before most if not all original Tamagotchis won't function properly. I don't doubt that there will be people who want to collect them anyway but most people who buy old Tamagotchis buy them to play with them. Those people won't have any reason to buy them once they stop working. And many of those old Tamagotchis that are kept sealed may already be bad. It's generally not a good idea to leave a battery in an electronic device for twenty years.
Very true =( I hope at some point they do a Nostalgia release and put out the first tamas with some new designs maybe. I'd kill for generation 1 right now, but all of them are around 50 dollars and I already spent too much on getting the ID L thats in the mail. >.<

Hmmm. If gen 1 Tamas are going for $50 now it's pretty much a good sign that Tamagotchi still has a decent fanbase. That's over three times the original price. If there wasn't a market for them they wouldn't sell for that much. Bandai should take note.

Mostly they are even asking more for a P1 than 50$, I remember a few years back a Devil costed about 200$ and all others 20-30$ so prices are definitely going up for collectors over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back