Questions about iD L care and longevity.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaLey

Reaction score
If any one read my last topic, then you are aware I just got my first iD L and it is in English. It is a major deal for me, and my friend helped me out and paid for most of it. I only had it for about a week, but I am sooo paranoid about taking care of it. I am afraid it is gonna break, because if it does I wont be able to get another one any time soon. I try so hard to take care of it, but it has a few scratches on the screen...even after wiping it with a special cloth for glasses lenses. ;_; I am vowing now to try to never take it out of the house again. I know about screen protectors ..but I am broke right now. (Very complicated and long story..when I say broke I mean it. ) What really worried me though, is a few nights ago I noticed the brightness on my screen kind of flashing. Like it would get a little brighter then a little dimmer for a moment. The batteries were new...so I just don't know what the heck that meant. It does this every once in awhile. I also tried to make a pouch, but I think that was not the best fabric for the screen.

I heard rumors that the English wasn't made that well, and that white and yellow (as mine is) were unpopular colors and also not made as well. I know I am worrying a lot...but this is a big deal to me. I want it to last forever lol.

So, how long do these things hold up? I have had mine like 6 days, and even some of the silver around the edge has peeled off. I take such good care of it...

Has anyone just had one die on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear about that....a lot of us are paranoid about our precious iD L's, lol.

I own a regular Japanese iD L and a 15th Anniversary iD L, and as most people here who know me somewhat probably know, the regular did break about five months ago (from accidental dropping, must've dropped it a bit too hard and one of the important parts broke or something).

In terms of screen protectors, I wouldn't recommend wiping it, because then the dust and stuff can get stuck in the edges. Instead, I found that a TT member's idea works very well: get a piece of scotch tape, stick it down on the screen, press, and then peel it off. I wouldn't worry too much about the screen, though.

Also, another idea, if it's possible, is to check out Japanese dollar stores or other Asian ones for iPod screen protectors. They're normally very inexpensive (should be less than $5) and work quite well as long as you get the measurements for cutting it right.

As for the flashing...I don't really know about this, but you could try setting the contrast down to the lowest setting, or take the batteries out and pop them in again. That might help.

Well, as long as you take good care of your iD L (and invest in a sock for it, lots of people sell knitted socks for iPods and such, or regular old socks or pouches work just as well), it will not end up like mine. :p Try not to aim to keep it in pristine condition, though; it's bound to suffer a bit of wear and tear over time. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear about that....a lot of us are paranoid about our precious iD L's, lol.

I own a regular Japanese iD L and a 15th Anniversary iD L, and as most people here who know me somewhat probably know, the regular did break about five months ago (from accidental dropping, must've dropped it a bit too hard and one of the important parts broke or something).

In terms of screen protectors, I wouldn't recommend wiping it, because then the dust and stuff can get stuck in the edges. Instead, I found that a TT member's idea works very well: get a piece of scotch tape, stick it down on the screen, press, and then peel it off. I wouldn't worry too much about the screen, though.

Also, another idea, if it's possible, is to check out Japanese dollar stores or other Asian ones for iPod screen protectors. They're normally very inexpensive (should be less than $5) and work quite well as long as you get the measurements for cutting it right.

As for the flashing...I don't really know about this, but you could try setting the contrast down to the lowest setting, or take the batteries out and pop them in again. That might help.

Well, as long as you take good care of your iD L (and invest in a sock for it, lots of people sell knitted socks for iPods and such, or regular old socks or pouches work just as well), it will not end up like mine. :p Try not to aim to keep it in pristine condition, though; it's bound to suffer a bit of wear and tear over time. Good luck!
Thanx for all your advice. I saw how cheap the protectors are online...and even shopping online is difficult right now. (Again a very long and strange story.) But in stores here the cheapest one I could find that I would have to cut was $15.

I might do that with the batteries. I did take the back cover off and doubled checked to make sure the screws were tight. Sadly I did kind of drop it the other day, that just came back to me now. But it was not a bad drop, it hit a part of the floor that had a blanket over it so hopefully that softened the fall...but now come to think of it that is when this started I think. I guess we shall see how it goes. I just hope it stops and I can forget about it. (Did yours die as soon as it hit the floor?)

I have been using a sock...it is easy. I can double it over on the screen part so that makes me feel a bit better if I must bring it out.

I heard about tape, but I was afraid some sticky stuff might come off on the screen. XD

I so understand why people care a lot about these things. XD

I also heard the rumors about the English ones breaking easier than the originals, but I have reason to believe it isn't true after dropping one of mine multiple times. I dropped my blue iD L-e three times now, and the worst drop was when it fell in the parking lot and then bounced four or five times under the car. Naturally I freaked out but once I retrieved it from the other side of the parking space I was relieved to see that it still worked just fine, though it did suffer a few minor scratches on the silver paint. Every time I dropped my blue one I always compared it to my purple one to check for input lag and such, but nothing is ever different. I wouldn't worry about it so much, just treat it like you treat your phone I guess. I recently started keeping both of my iD L-e's in a little pouch that looks like a bear face. It's really cute and it bounces less when you drop it but I guess it's not that great of an idea because if I drop one I drop the both lol.

As for your screen flashing, I would do as kuchipatchi.is.blue55 suggested and take the batteries out for a second, if that doesn't work, try replacing them with new ones. Also toy around with the screen brightness and see if that does any good. Good luck with your tama!

I also heard the rumors about the English ones breaking easier than the originals, but I have reason to believe it isn't true after dropping one of mine multiple times. I dropped my blue iD L-e three times now, and the worst drop was when it fell in the parking lot and then bounced four or five times under the car. Naturally I freaked out but once I retrieved it from the other side of the parking space I was relieved to see that it still worked just fine, though it did suffer a few minor scratches on the silver paint. Every time I dropped my blue one I always compared it to my purple one to check for input lag and such, but nothing is ever different. I wouldn't worry about it so much, just treat it like you treat your phone I guess. I recently started keeping both of my iD L-e's in a little pouch that looks like a bear face. It's really cute and it bounces less when you drop it but I guess it's not that great of an idea because if I drop one I drop the both lol.

As for your screen flashing, I would do as kuchipatchi.is.blue55 suggested and take the batteries out for a second, if that doesn't work, try replacing them with new ones. Also toy around with the screen brightness and see if that does any good. Good luck with your tama!
My my, I don't feel so bad then for dropping it once! Glad to hear it held up well. That gives me some hope.

Well, I did. It still happens. So as of right now, I reinserted the batteries, checked the screws (really tightened them), and messed with the brightness. I still have not changed to newer batteries though, so I can give that a try.

Speaking of messing with the brightness, that is what it is like! I will be looking at the screen doing stuff...and it is like some one is messing with it. It is doing in on it's own! Maybe a weird bug? God I hope I didn't get like a defective one. I just feel it is too soon for something like this to happen.

I wouldn't imagine tightening the screws would do much for you. This method works on older tamas because the screens work differently and they rely on perfectly matched up contact, but since the iD L is a color screen it's a bit more complicated. Maybe you should try googling why that problem would happen with other colored-screen devices such as PSP's and things of that sort?

Thanx for all your advice. I saw how cheap the protectors are online...and even shopping online is difficult right now. (Again a very long and strange story.) But in stores here the cheapest one I could find that I would have to cut was $15.

I might do that with the batteries. I did take the back cover off and doubled checked to make sure the screws were tight. Sadly I did kind of drop it the other day, that just came back to me now. But it was not a bad drop, it hit a part of the floor that had a blanket over it so hopefully that softened the fall...but now come to think of it that is when this started I think. I guess we shall see how it goes. I just hope it stops and I can forget about it. (Did yours die as soon as it hit the floor?)

I have been using a sock...it is easy. I can double it over on the screen part so that makes me feel a bit better if I must bring it out.

I heard about tape, but I was afraid some sticky stuff might come off on the screen. XD

I so understand why people care a lot about these things. XD
I'm pretty sure mine died when it hit the floor, because (this is a theory) a black knob covered in wax stuff broke off because of the impact, and it might have to do with the iD L turning on (I really don't know, actually). It probably would've survived the fall if I hadn't dropped it 50 times before that, haha. :p

I wouldn't imagine tightening the screws would do much for you. This method works on older tamas because the screens work differently and they rely on perfectly matched up contact, but since the iD L is a color screen it's a bit more complicated. Maybe you should try googling why that problem would happen with other colored-screen devices such as PSP's and things of that sort?
I will look into that, and thanx for pointing that out. It makes sense. I don't now much about these things, especially a colored screen.

The thing is, even if I could fix a simple thing, I would hate to take it apart. I am just gonna wait it out for now.

I asked my computer-nerd boyfriend and he said you should probably try replacing the batteries ;)

I asked my computer-nerd boyfriend and he said you should probably try replacing the batteries ;)
I did, it didn't make a difference. I even decided (after saying above I wasn't going to) took it apart to have a look. I am just gonna live with it. *shrug*

I heard rumors that the English wasn't made that well, and that white and yellow (as mine is) were unpopular colors and also not made as well. I know I am worrying a lot...but this is a big deal to me. I want it to last forever lol.
Where exactly did you get these "rumours"?

I believe they're made from the exact same manufacturing line as the Japanese iD Ls. I have a white one (JP), but despite of the unavoidable scratches on the face plate (they're very, very prone to scratches), mine's all intact - even the silver chrome border around the face plate... and I don't even have a pouch for it.

I encountered the screen flickering its brightness, but only when connecting to another device and the battery is low. Other than that, it's all well.

Where exactly did you get these "rumours"?

I believe they're made from the exact same manufacturing line as the Japanese iD Ls. I have a white one (JP), but despite of the unavoidable scratches on the face plate (they're very, very prone to scratches), mine's all intact - even the silver chrome border around the face plate... and I don't even have a pouch for it.

I encountered the screen flickering its brightness, but only when connecting to another device and the battery is low. Other than that, it's all well.
Ehh...I don't have the exact links, but it was either here or tama zone...not sure.

I may try new batteries yet again, as I wonder if mine were possible already used. Do you know how long they usually go with batteries before needing new ones?

Ehh...I don't have the exact links, but it was either here or tama zone...not sure.

I may try new batteries yet again, as I wonder if mine were possible already used. Do you know how long they usually go with batteries before needing new ones?
I used energizer and it lasted me 6 generations (roughly about a month)

The battery life greatly varies depending on how many times you are connecting/downloading and what your screen brightness is at as well as what kind of battery you are using.

Alkaline batteries are the best to use

^ Yes, it is highly recommended to use Alkaline batteries. Mine usually lasts for 4 weeks with a few connecting/downloading sessions.

Thanx for the info guys! I don't download or connect (I wish) so I will look into making sure I am using the best batteries.

I hope the english ones aren't worse, Because I'm getting one next month XD

This is my last year of highschool so I'm hoping it'll last way into my college years (actually I wan't it to last forever, but I've got to be realistic)

TAMATAM :3

If you're worried about the paint chipping off, I tend to use a non-glossy clear nail polish.

I don't know about the other issues your iD L is having, but this is my 2cents worth.. ^_^ ;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back