HELP! Broken tama ID L

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzie

Reaction score
I just bought it from chobitsuu, my BF got his yesterday and his works fine, I got mine today and I put the batteries in and the screen is black, it chimes when I put in the battery but nothing else. Whats wrong with it? how do I get it to work T-T (note theres no backlight to it, it beeps and I can see stuff if I hold it close to the light bulb just BARELY, how do I fix a broken backlight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqNScKiK6-k

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you put the batteries in the correct position?

Try pushing the reset button with a paper clip.

i put the batteries in wrong the first time because they don't alternate like most electronics! lol

When you first put the batteries in, the tama should tell you to wait. That might be why the buttons aren't doing anything. Try putting them in and waiting a few minutes, then see if the buttons make any noise. If they do, then we can be sure that the problem is with the screen, but if they don't, the problem is something else inside the tama. If you can't get it to work after you've tried everything, then open it up and take a look inside. It's not like you can break it much more than it already is at that point.

If I hold the tama under the light like 2 inches to the lightbulb I can see the clock screen and the buttons beep now. There is no backlight to it >.< does anyone know a fix for a screen with no backlight?

Tried everything I could think of I think I am going to have to send it back =( hopefully chobitsuu does refunds or replacements at least T.T

If you can open it up safely and carefully check to make sure and/or secure the screen, that might help. Wherever contact needs to be made, make sure there is ample and equal amounts of pressure. You should still be able to see more than that if it was the backlight. I may be wrong, though. Still, I would open it and make sure that the screen is properly connected. Do the same for the backlight, if you can. I haven't opened an id l yet, so I don't know how hard it is compared to other tamas.

Good luck!

Have you tried adjusting the contrast while holding it under a lamp? If you set it higher, it might help a teeny bit...

I would try taking the batteries out, and popping them back in, and then hitting the reset button and choosing the first option (which is "download"). If that doesn't work, I suggest taking the iD L apart (very carefully, although it should be ok) and seeing if anything looks strange to you.

Have you tried adjusting the contrast while holding it under a lamp? If you set it higher, it might help a teeny bit...

I would try taking the batteries out, and popping them back in, and then hitting the reset button and choosing the first option (which is "download"). If that doesn't work, I suggest taking the iD L apart (very carefully, although it should be ok) and seeing if anything looks strange to you.
when it starts up all there is, is a clock screen. I've set brightness to max, and I've opened it but there isnt much I can do there as everything is glued into the shell so I can only see the back, I cant see what is between the screen and the little circuit board.

Its a brand new tama, the sticker seals werent even broken, though the box was loose in the box with a layer of bubble wrap so I wonder if maybe it got knocked around on the way here.

Have you tried a different pair of batteries?
bought a new pack of 8 after the first didnt work and none of those worked. its something to do with the backlight, but im unable to get to the other side of the circuit board that has the screen on it. The screws are too small and im worried about having it break further. =( hope chobitsuu gets on soon so I know what I should do.

I am forgetting where, but I swear I recall a backlight option. ( -_- ;) maybe its off by mistake? I know thats not great help, but maybe you could try to find it online or the slow way... Or ask someone with one on to navigate you to it.

I am forgetting where, but I swear I recall a backlight option. ( -_- ;) maybe its off by mistake? I know thats not great help, but maybe you could try to find it online or the slow way... Or ask someone with one on to navigate you to it.
There is a brightness option but this does nothing for my screen. I think something detached during delivery possibly. it had a lot of room to bang around in the box, with 1 layer of bubble wrap =/ my BF's came out fine but mine didnt.

There's no backlight option in the manual (both in English/Japanese versions), as it is always on whenever the iD L is active. I'm starting to think that it is indeed broken. -_-

Chobitsuu said this happens after rough handling from the postal service, they broke my laptop on delivery last year so I am pretty sure this is the case. Cho said that they'll see about making a claim at the post office, so hopefully things will get resolved soon and I can get a working one. If he/she doesnt need this one for the claim I am going to try to open it and get at the front circuit board to see if I can manually fix the backlight. Just need to buy a new screw driver set small enough to work with the screws.

Did you try a full reset?

I still need to turn on mine. To look for it. I remember screwing around and switching it off...

Okay. I guess it was a different pet... *sigh*

If you don't have an experience in tinkering around with electronics, I'd suggest not to open the device, as it you may unintentionally damage it further. Talk to the seller about it and file the necessary claims instead.

Latest posts

Back