Around the World Candy Swap?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteClaw84

Reaction score
So, I was just thinking that Tamatalk has members from all around the world but something that we all have in common (or most of us do) is a love for candy and snacks!! I was wondering if anyone would be interested in participating in a candy swap. Basically, what you would do is pick someone from another country to swap a box of candy with. You would buy items from your country that define your country and the person you're swapping with would do the same. Then you would exchange addresses (privately) and send off the boxes. Each of you could post your experience trying out the different candies and snacks :) This may be more towards the older folks who can do this without parental involvement but maybe the younger folks can do it too.

Anyone interested? I'm from the US :) would love to experience candies and snacks from other countries. Of course the swap would mean that you're funding everything yourself as well as the person you are swapping with so don't expect the person you are swapping with to provide any sort of pay etc... You should try to spend an equal amount on each other so it makes it fair.

Just curious if anyone would be interested :)

I would that sounds loads of fun I'm form the UK.

There might be a problem with certain contrys though with putting food items in the post I think Austalia might be very strict on this, so I think who ever wants to take part check what your contrys policey is first.

Just found that to send food to the US you need to file prior notice with the FDA who will isssure a barcode of aproval. Info on it here

https://www.priornotice.com/?s_kwcid=TC|9244|sending%20food%20to%20usa||S|b|6114208095

Here is some info on things banned within the UK, you dont need to fill out forms but dairy n meat products are a no no.

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/banned-restricted.htm#2

Sorry to burst the bubble a bit

I would that sounds loads of fun I'm form the UK.

There might be a problem with certain contrys though with putting food items in the post I think Austalia might be very strict on this, so I think who ever wants to take part check what your contrys policey is first.

Just found that to send food to the US you need to file prior notice with the FDA who will isssure a barcode of aproval. Info on it here

https://www.priornoti...|S|b|6114208095

Here is some info on things banned within the UK, you dont need to fill out forms but dairy n meat products are a no no.

https://www.hmrc.gov....estricted.htm#2

Sorry to burst the bubble a bit
Hmmm interesting...I've ordered candy from other countries before with no issue but I guess since they're businesses they fill out those forms prior etc...

It would just be candy and snacks no meat products, liquids, basically anything that is perishable. Chocolate I think would be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Im up for swaping with you WhiteClaw if you want :) theres a traditional sweet shop neer where I live. I think we should also try to take pictures of the shop where it came from and how its shown on shelfs as that differs slightly too :)

Well Im up for swaping with you WhiteClaw if you want :) theres a traditional sweet shop neer where I live. I think we should also try to take pictures of the shop where it came from and how its shown on shelfs as that differs slightly too :)
That'd be cool Neonmoo :)

A few questions:

1) How much should we each spend? (I could definitely get a little crazy buying stuff lol)

2) Are you allergic to peanuts/peanut butter/any other food type?

3) What American candies (that you are aware of) do you already get in the UK (Hershey's, Twix, Mars, Milky Way, Hostess, etc...)?

(we have a restaurant here called the Cracker Barrel and in there they have a classic candy shop which will probably have a lot of items you have never seen :) )

:D

1) erm well I dont know, I was thinking I would spend £3/£5 (but thats like $5/$8) as that would give a good selection as a lot of stuff costs around £1 ($1.59)

2) I am allergic to peanuts and theres a no nut rule in my house as brother needs an eppi pen (if it says may contain its fine)

3) We can get nerds, twix, mars, milky way, hersheys, jelly belly (think thats what theyre called), skittles, oreos, pop tarts the boring ones with no artificial flavors and only strawberry n choc), fluff, we do have an american sweet shop neer me its called American Candy Co

Same 3 Q's to you :) cna you get cadburys, haribo, fruttella, flying sausers, lindor, green n blacks, natural confectionary company, smarties, foxes party rings, drum sticks, flumps (marshmallow its like compleatly diff to american marshmallow), kinder eggs.

1) erm well I dont know, I was thinking I would spend £3/£5 (but thats like $5/$8) as that would give a good selection as a lot of stuff costs around £1 ($1.59)

2) I am allergic to peanuts and theres a no nut rule in my house as brother needs an eppi pen (if it says may contain its fine)

3) We can get nerds, twix, mars, milky way, hersheys, jelly belly (think thats what theyre called), skittles, oreos, pop tarts the boring ones with no artificial flavors and only strawberry n choc), fluff, we do have an american sweet shop neer me its called American Candy Co

Same 3 Q's to you :) cna you get cadburys, haribo, fruttella, flying sausers, lindor, green n blacks, natural confectionary company, smarties, foxes party rings, drum sticks, flumps (marshmallow its like compleatly diff to american marshmallow), kinder eggs.
1) What about $10-$15? Candy in the US tends to be much more expensive. I may end up spending more than what you do but that's alright.

2) No allergies!

3) Hmmm from the list you mentioned we get Cadburys but just the eggs (don't know if they make anything else?), haribo is hard to come by but we get them (those are the gummy bears right?), and we get Lindor, and Smarties. The rest of the items you mentioned we don't get lol

As for the nut allergy...you're saying if the product says "May contain..." or if it says "Made in a factory that also makes peanut products" it's ok? Don't want to send your family to the hospital @_@

Oh man...now I'm really bummed that Hostess is going out of business =/ I wanted to send you Twinkies ;_;

Oh...Kinder Eggs are banned in the US. Apparently, the US thinks we're stupid and will eat the toy within the chocolate.......siiiiiiiigh. So leave those out otherwise the package will be seized and you can be fined for them!.

politely butting in: smarties are different in the u.s. than in the uk

here they're individually wrapped fruit flavored crunchy things and in the uk they're like m&m's

^_^

@ WhiteClaw84:

3) Hmmm from the list you mentioned we get Cadburys but just the eggs (don't know if they make anything else?)....
oooh... they make such good chocolate! (check my avvie)... Hersheys? pfft... :p

@neonmoo - don't forget the liquorice allsorts and the sherbert fountain (to go with the flying saucers) - and curly wurlys and crunchies ... and

Worlds Best Candy Bars? English of course: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/dining/11cand.html?pagewanted=all

:p

Steenie U.S. smarites seem weird but yeah UK ones are like M&M's but slightly bigger n not as fat or as brightly coloured as they took away all the yummy E numbers.

WhiteClaw I never thought kinder eggs would be banned its a shame as the toys are fun, I could always take it apart for you so the toy n chocolate are separated. Wow im surprised Hostess is going out of business theyre like so intwined with US culture, I have tryed twinkies btw n I think they are a bit gross they are really salty. Haribo here do golden bears, star mix, tangfastics (theyre fizzy n a bit sour), strawbs, there are a few others but I cant remember what they are, do you get anything by Bassets? they do sherbet fountains and dib dabs n other stuff, oooo and do you get round trees fruit pastles they are really good oh ad randoms mmmmm

A big thing in the UK is no artificial colours or flavours in pretty much every thing.

Made n a factory that makes stuff with nuts is ok too

@TamaMum liquorice allsorts are gross lol.

Oh man theres so much you have to try cadburys they make the best chocolate eva! but they got taken over by Kraft foods (oreos) about a year ago now it was a hostile takeover :( I can send you a cadbury world patch I have from when I went to the chocolate factory too

A big thing in the UK is no artificial colours or flavours in pretty much every thing.

Oh man theres so much you have to try cadburys they make the best chocolate eva! but they got taken over by Kraft foods (oreos) about a year ago now it was a hostile takeover :( I can send you a cadbury world patch I have from when I went to the chocolate factory too

I find this a great idea but for some reason there is VERY strict laws for shipping out food products and receiving food products to canada and out of canada. Strict laws and taxes :(

I find this a great idea but for some reason there is VERY strict laws for shipping out food products and receiving food products to canada and out of canada. Strict laws and taxes

iaza14273697414300.jpg

We have a few candy shops here. A few of my favorite loose candies are coke balls and candy coated sunflower seeds.

<p>We have a few candy shops here.  A few of my favorite loose candies are coke balls and candy coated sunflower seeds.</p>

@Ciara Uk has cola cubes n candy sunflower sweets seem strange, we have youghurt coated cranberies and chocolate coated coffee beans they are pretty good. Thats also an old smarties box you found it still has the arifisial colours, the boxes here used to be tube's but their now hexagonal boxes with flip lids.

@Ciara Uk has cola cubes n candy sunflower sweets seem strange, we have youghurt coated cranberies and chocolate coated coffee beans they are pretty good. Thats also an old smarties box you found it still has the arifisial colours, the boxes here used to be tube's but their now hexagonal boxes with flip lids.
Naw we still have that box here. we also have the new box too.

Steenie U.S. smarites seem weird but yeah UK ones are like M&M's but slightly bigger n not as fat or as brightly coloured as they took away all the yummy E numbers.

WhiteClaw I never thought kinder eggs would be banned its a shame as the toys are fun, I could always take it apart for you so the toy n chocolate are separated. Wow im surprised Hostess is going out of business theyre like so intwined with US culture, I have tryed twinkies btw n I think they are a bit gross they are really salty. Haribo here do golden bears, star mix, tangfastics (theyre fizzy n a bit sour), strawbs, there are a few others but I cant remember what they are, do you get anything by Bassets? they do sherbet fountains and dib dabs n other stuff, oooo and do you get round trees fruit pastles they are really good oh ad randoms mmmmm

Neonmoo, just leave Kinder eggs out completely. If it's a different kinder product that's fine but if it's the egg (apart or not) customs will have a meltdown. It was a surprise :( I didn't really eat Twinkies but they were definitely an icon in the US and everyone has to have a Twinkie at some point in their life :) I don't recognize any of those other candies you mention so the answer would be no :) and don't think we get anything by Bassets.

Ok so :D when do you want to send our boxes out? Is this coming Monday reasonable or would you need more time?

Lol...now I'm wondering if you'll like any candy I send becuase a lot of American candy is artificial flavoring/coloring. :s

@WhiteClaw I LOVE artificial flavoring/coloring it tastes really good smarties just arnt the same without it :( they dont have the same tang the E numbers gave them.

I probably wnt be able to get it done by Monday as I'm gonna need to work out the whole FDA thing so it dosnt get stuck in customs :( so far its not making much sence. Ill let you know when Ive worked out what I need to do, but im gonna start fillig a box right away.

im probably gonna send you some mini selection boxes they have bitesize sweets in and you would be able to try loads of different ones then :D

I will leave the kinder egg out but they do bars as well so ill put one of those in they dont taste exactly like the eggs but its pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back