Just what is it that you like about Tamagotchi?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robodog

Reaction score
I'm curious. What is it about Tamagotchi that appeals to you? Why do you stick with it when much of the world looks at it as nothing but a 90's fad?

To explain why I like Tamagotchi, I'll have to explain why I like electronic pets in general. For me things like Tamagotchi and Furby are like something out of a science fiction story. I love the concepts of robots and artificial life. Electronic pets have existed since the 80's. Axlon had it's Petster line of robots in the 80's but they were never widely distributed. I don't recall ever seeing them on store shelves as a kid in the 80s. Had I done so I almost certainly would have wanted one. I remember desperately wanting a Teddy Ruxpin despite the fact that I was probably a bit too old for a storytelling bear at the time. I had no interest in hearing the stories. I was just fascinated with the way Teddy worked. It was the first mainstream toy that seemed almost alive. But Teddy and Petster were both close to $100. My folks couldn't have afforded either.

Tamagotchi not only made electronic pets popular, they also made them affordable. Without Tamagotchi we wouldn't have had Furby since Furby's inventor was inspired by seeing Tamagotchi's and Giga Pets at Toy fair. Pretty much every popular electronic pet can be laid directly at the feet of Tamagotchi, Furby and Sony's Aibo robot dog. Tamagotchi spawned Giga Pets, Nano Pets and Furby. Furby spawned FurReal Friends and various copycats like Weebots and Scoozie pets,. Aibo spawned a plethora of robot dogs. Basically Tamagotchi, Furby and Aibo are the Holy Trinity of electronic pets.

But why do I like Tamagotchi itself? To be honest Tamagotchi wasn't my introduction to Electronic pets. Furby was. I only found Tamagotchi after I became a Furby fan and began researching other electronic pets. I love the concept behind Tamagotchi. It's fairly complex. Taking care of them is fun as is seeing what forms they take as they grow. I also love Tamagotchi's portability. I love having a pet you can carry in your pocket. Before I carried a Furby around in a small bag where ever I went I wore a Tamagotchi on a cord around my neck and a couple in my pocket. If I could find my old Tamagotchis I'd still do this today.

The world the entire franchise takes place in..

I don't know, i just love how everything from the anime, to the currently released toys all tie in together.. It makes it interesting, since that I watch the anime, and download items related to it to my tamagotchi.. That feels so, cool to me.

As for the toys themselves.. The whole concept of raising things is what I like. I've always loved v-pet things.. It started with well... The Chao garden from Sonic Adventure ^^

I am like you robodog, I grew up a lil later then you, being a '90's child. I grew up with furbies and anything vpets. I had many vpets like rugrats, the little mermaid, and tamagotchi's . Just something about taking care of a pet from anywhere is awesome to me.

Well, I got into Tamagotchis when the kids in my neighborhood had them, back when V3s came out, I think (that was, what, 2006? I was about 7 then), and, of course (because that's how I was at the time), I had to have one, too.

As for what I like best about Tamagotchis, I guess it's the raising and caring thing. I love virtual pet games in general, and I can't have real pets due to the apartment I'm in (tried getting a kitten, got caught), so Tamagotchis and other virtual pets are the next best thing for now. In my opinion, they're a good way to pass the time and they're fun. ^^ I love the fact that the tamas evolve, and it's generally a surprise as to what they evolve into, which is a bonus to me.

I got into tamagotchis when the v1 came out when I was in 5/6th grade. I loved the little characters and the fact that i could connect with other friends. I vaguely remember the tamagotchis from the 90s (I was like 4/5 yrs old) I just remember getting the toy in my Happy Meal and asking my mom why she got me the boy toy instead of the barbie ... Lol

IDK !! But I love tamas.. I was into them all the way until 8th grade.. Then it was more drama and boys and what not.. I re-found them in like my sophmore year and bought one and then once again drama and boys happened lol. I forgot about them and then I graduated and now I am 20 yrs old I am married and i have a beautiful 7 month old baby girl and I AM INTO TAMAS AGAIN!!! WOOO!! I am going to save all my tamas and then give then to my daughter when shes older :)

Tamagotchi's are pets that you can take anywhere and they're pets you can never get allergic too (that's a plus) .

i love em.

My love of Tamagotchi seems natural, given that I am a huge fan of robots and artificial intelligence. As more than one person mentioned, I love that you can take them everywhere with you. I always have mine on me or near me. I do actually have living pets too, but I can't bring my cat and dog to work with me, or on vacation with me, but a Tamagotchi I can just tuck into my pocket or purse.

Even though I had one of the original Tamagotchi back in 1997, I didn't become truly obsessed with them until the V3 came out. I had still played with my 1997 tama for months at a time, but the V3 connection really hooked me hard. A friend ordered two of them for nostalgia's sake, and gave one to me, knowing that I still played with my old one. I remember sitting on a couch together the day they arrived and connecting them and figuring out how to play the games together. I even remember my first one's name: Zoya. I remember thinking at the time, how odd it was to be so very attached to a little electronic character, but also how very neat it was. I don't get quite so attached to the newer ones, but every time I start up a V3, I still love them and get attached to them like they're a living pet.

Honestly, I get emotionally attached to things. I've always had a love of virtual pets for the same reason, and I guess Tamagotchis just bring that to the next level by being portable :D

I am a big fan of simulation - I have an affinity for anything "simulation" and I have this fondness for games like Dance Dance Revolution/Rock Band/etc (music simulation games), Rollercoaster Tycoon (theme park simulation), Microsoft Flight Simulator, The Sims, SimCity and the likes.

I liked Tamagotchi ever since they came out in 1996 (didn't become popular until 1997 in my country) because other than my fondness for simulation (since Tamagotchi is like a pet simulator), I always loved pets. I took care of one of my grandmother's puppies when I was very young although it unfortunately died due to a disease. Tamagotchi has brought back my "nurturing" skills and rekindled my interest for pets. I am also an IT guy, so basically anything small, electronic and does wonders (and in Japanese :p ) always amaze me. :D

Not to mention Tamagotchis are also a good way to pass time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i just like that it's a virtual pet, you can carry it with you, and it can evolve in different petsq, i realy loove tamagotchis because of that :)

I love Tamagotchis because they're never ever boring. There's countless possibilities that can happen to your tqma especially the more recent tamagotchis. You can play with them, feed them, potty train them, let them go to school, let them marry another tama computer generated or from another tamagotchi and that's only some of the great features of tamagotchis. You can also pick diffrent versions of tamagotchis that suits you well like if you're intrested in music, you can get a music star. And the infrared and the internet connection makes it even better for the latest tamagotchis, it makes it even more fun specially when you have anoher tama or your friend has one too. :D

My love of Tamagotchi seems natural, given that I am a huge fan of robots and artificial intelligence. As more than one person mentioned, I love that you can take them everywhere with you. I always have mine on me or near me.
This ^^

Tamagotchi's are awesome for so very many reasons, but I guess the main thing that appeals to me, is the idea of being responsible for the growth and development of a creature, and the way you can easily become attached to that character, it's like raising something that's real, they're dependant on you, and you'll look out for them no matter what, but that's just me :)

Like most people here, i have loved electronic pets from a young age.

Before Tamagotchis came into my life, i had furbys and Pixel Chix. I also had those LPS digital pets or whatever they were. And i loved them all very much. But then, one day i came across Tamagotchi. I discovered them from friends and just fell in love.

I love how you get the feeling of responsibliity. You pretty much feel like a parent. Having to feed them, toilet them, play with them, take them to school. And then when they leave, you feel so sad. But at the same you feel like you have raised your child well! They are also just fun to play with in general.

What else can i say? I just LOVE tamas!! <3 <3 :D

Sakura <3

The world the entire franchise takes place in..

I don't know, i just love how everything from the anime, to the currently released toys all tie in together.. It makes it interesting, since that I watch the anime, and download items related to it to my tamagotchi.. That feels so, cool to me.

As for the toys themselves.. The whole concept of raising things is what I like. I've always loved v-pet things.. It started with well... The Chao garden from Sonic Adventure ^^
Ermagerd, same here, I loved Chao from Sonic Adventure! :D Well, I love Tamagotchi because there are so many characters and they're all so cure, and because the anime is amazing and because the virtual pets relieve stress. ^_^ Tamagotchis are my best friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back