Doing a survey for school please help :P

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm still newer to your community but I figured there was no better place to go for my answers then here! I have to write a product review for my writers craft class and I've decided to do it on the tamagotchi. I need some help gathering some information so if you guys could respond to my questions it would be a big help. If you don't want to answer them all that's fine but any kind of comment would help a lot :)

Now my first question is that when tamas first came out in north america there were -and really still are- marketed as a kids toy because that's what they are.

How old were you when you got your first tamagotchi?

How old are you now?

Do you still play with them or are you just a collector?

My next few questions have to do with the current popularity of the toy and the accessibility of them to all ages.

How often do you see tamas being sold in stores (if at all)?

Where have you gotten most of your collection?

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors?

How big of a distraction do you think they are in a classroom setting?

My final questions are the most important so if you're only going to answer one please let it be this: The tamagotchi has a lot to it depending on the version you have. Dealing with weight and a career, money to buy things and remembering to feed them. Do you think tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one (in your opinion not according to the packaging)?

Thank you guys SO much for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, interesting! I guess I could share a bit...

1. I was about 10 or 11. Probably 11 since I remember everyone had them in 6th grade and I'm one whole age the school year due to a summer birthday (and starting early).

2. I am now 25.

3. I both collect and play with them.

4. I don't see any being sold in stores now. I remember the connections being out, but due to being in high school and everything being 'uncool' back then if it was related to children, coupled with having lost or sold all of my collection, i dropped virtual pets to pursue video games, namely on the Gameboy Advance, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and PS2. (As that was the main stuff at that time for me.)

5. Back then my collection was mostly from stores, in particular K B Toys back when they existed. Now it's pretty much all Ebay, and from some people here.

6. Price is subjective. What is worth it to one, isn't to another. I think 20 bucks, give or take, is very good for a new one if lucky, maybe 30. And that's for the older ones, like the connections. Vintages are in my opinion overpriced at times, especially the themed ones (Morino, Umino, Angel, Devil, etc). I can understand the colors going for a lot, 50 to 60 on average, depending, due to the popularity and technology, but again, price really depends on the person, what they can afford, how bad they want it, etc.

7. Not sure about distraction in the classroom as I'm a college student now. They were pretty bad when I was a kid, taken away from students regularly. Eventually I think they got banned. I had a lot and I think that's why I stopped playing with them as well--couldn't pause them (that I knew of) and couldn't bring them to school, so I eventually lost interest. But for me now, hardly a distraction. I usually just pause them and leave them at home.

8. i think Tamagotchis (or any virtual pet) can be pretty good for teaching some responsibility, but it shouldn't be the be-all-end-all approach. They're never replace real pets, which might be more rewarding to have. But as a supplement, i think they can work out just fine. And I think getting them started with them between the ages of 8 and 10 would be ideal as that's the age bracket most kids back in the 90s played with them at.

Hope that was somewhat helpful. :)

I was around 20 years old give or take a couple years

How old are you now?

In my 30s

If I had any I'd still play with them. My Tamas went missing and I have been unable to find them. I'm forced to conclude they accidently got mixed in with some toys I donated to charity a year or so ago.

My next few questions have to do with the current popularity of the toy and the accessibility of them to all ages.

Never. At least not anymore.

Wal Mart

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors?

Yes

It depends. If they are kept on pause they shouldn't be a distraction at all. Otherwise they'd probably be a pretty big distraction

My final questions are the most important so if you're only going to answer one please let it be this: The tamagotchi has a lot to it depending on the version you have. Dealing with weight and a career, money to buy things and remembering to feed them. Do you think tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one (in your opinion not according to the packaging)?

I'm not sure if a Tamagotchi would be the best test to see if a child is capable of caring for a real pet. The stakes aren't very high. If you kill your Tamagotchi you can easily bring it back by resetting it. If you neglect a real animal you can't just restore it to health by pushing a button. And just because you enjoy caring for a Tama doesn't mean you'll feel the same when you're picking up real poop or having to deal with having possesions chewed up or any number of other unpleasant situations having a real pet sometimes entails.

The age a child should be able to fully appreciate a Tama varies. The earliest models are fairly simple and could probably be enjoyed by children as young as six or seven. Later models become more complicated and as such may require one to be older in order to fully enjoy it.

How old were you when you got your first tamagotchi? I was 6 years old.

How old are you now? I'm now 18. :wacko:

Do you still play with them or are you just a collector? I'm a proud collector BUT I love playing with my collection, so both! :D

How often do you see tamas being sold in stores (if at all)? I don't see them in stores at all - I have to buy mine online or used somewhere.

Where have you gotten most of your collection? eBay, Amazon, friends, etc.

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors? Yes and no... it really depends on how bad you want one. I have a decent collection as of now (over 30 virtual pets) but I usually hunt down deals. However, my boyfriend wanted a specific one for Christmas and I caved in and paid $25 for a used one (not a vintage).

How big of a distraction do you think they are in a classroom setting? Very much so. When I was younger, the kids who had them always had them going off if they couldn't figure out how to shut the sound off and they were eventually banned in most schools much like a cell phone!

Do you think tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one? Most definitely! I mean, Angelgotchi's were created because kids were upset over the actual Tamagotchi's dying, so if kids could get that upset over a virtual pet it seems that it has been teaching them a nice amount about caring for a real pet. ^_^

How old were you when you got your first tamagotchi? 11

How old are you now? late teen's

Do you still play with them or are you just a collector? I still do play with them ^_^

How often do you see tamas being sold in stores (if at all)? Never. I haven't seen one in stores in a very longwhile. Maybe 2 years.

Where have you gotten most of your collection? From Wal-Mart.

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors? I think as long as the price isn't cray (over 50 for a connection) it's all good.

How big of a distraction do you think they are in a classroom setting? They're a very big distraction. I always wanted to check but you can still listen to the teacher and give them a quick snack.

Do you think tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one (in your opinion not according to the packaging)? I'd say 8 and up is when the child is old enough to play and fully under stand them.... maybe a little older but not much. But I don't think tamagotchi's are the best way to learn responsibility.

How old were you when you got your first tamagotchi? Eight years old.

How old are you now? Seventeen.

Do you still play with them or are you just a collector? I'm starting to collect together quite a few, but I still play with one (maybe two) at a time.

How often do you see tamas being sold in stores (if at all)? I don't see them in the stores anymore.

Where have you gotten most of your collection? Most from stores like Toys R Us or department stores. My first one was from Cameron's. Now, eBay is where I go looking.

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors? Sometimes, the prices are quite excessive (such as over $100 for a P1) and I personally wouldn't be able to justify spending so much, no matter how much I might want the particular version. You can usually find a better deal, especially if you don't mind a used tamagotchi.

How big of a distraction do you think they are in a classroom setting? I used to play with them when I was in primary school but they were banned pretty quickly. They don't have a useful place in the classroom but can be beneficial at lunch/play times for children to interact over a common interest.

Do you think tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one?

I think they definitely have a positive effect on children. Tamagotchis certainly can't teach a child responsibility all on their own but it's nice to see kids really take an interest and care about something. I think I was probably at the right age (eight) to start playing with them but it depends on the individual child, I suppose.

How often do you see tamas being sold in stores (if at all)? Never

Where have you gotten most of your collection? In second-hand shops, a while back.

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors? Yep :3

How big of a distraction do you think they are in a classroom setting? It depends on the version. Most of them are fine, but V5.5 and V6 often beep for attention at certain times and you must praise them / give them training.

I was 8 when i got mine and i still play them and most of my collection is from cities in Asia where i have travelled to, especially SM Mall in Manila.

ICHIGOTCHI :ichigotchi:

How old were you when you got your first Tamagotchi?

5 years old

How old are you now?

11 years old

Mainly a collector, although I occasionally play with them.

How often do you see Tamas being sold in stores (if at all)?

Never

eBay, Japanese online shopping sites

Do you think they're worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors?

The colours are definitely overpriced. The black and white ones are well-priced.

Zero out of infinity, with sensible children. They definitely should NOT be banned from schools, in my opinion, only from the people who use them as a distraction from their work. No point spoiling it for the ones who won't use them in class by banning them from everyone.

Tamagotchi has a lot to it depending on the version you have. Dealing with weight and a career, money to buy things and remembering to feed them. Do you think Tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one (in your opinion not according to the packaging)?

I don't think it's a good way to teach children responsibility. I have learned much more about responsibility from looking after my guinea pig or my homework, not my Tamagotchi. As for the age a child is old enough to use one, it depends on the child. Some would be old enough at 5, and some would never manage it.

- About 5 or 6. It was a V5 Familitchi :) .

How old are you now?

- I am 25.

- I play with them ^^! The point of a Tamagotchi is to love and care for it, not have it sit in a box for 20 years!

How often do you see tamas being sold in stores (if at all)

- I've not seen a Tama in stores since I was about 7 :(

- Ebay.

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors

- It depends. They shouldn't buy a colour tama or a mega rare tama like a Yasashii (which I reeeeally want :c), but like, £20 for a Tama-Go seems fair to me :) .

- Not too bad. As long as you remember to turn your V-Pets on silent in a class its normally okay. I do feed them and stuff sometimes though under the table, as I have the layout completely memorized.

The tamagotchi has a lot to it depending on the version you have. Dealing with weight and a career, money to buy things and remembering to feed them. Do you think tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one

- I think Tamagotchis are good for a very select age group on developing responsibility. A child under 5 will not understand it, but a child over 10, in todays society at least, will normally be mature even to not rely on a Tama to teach them responsibility.

about 7.

How old are you now?

I still play with them.

I don't.

Toys R Us.

Yes :)

I don't think they are much of a distraction, much less distracting than a phone.

I think it is actually very good for teaching children responsibility, because no one else is there to help you and you take care of it all yourself. I most enjoyed playing with my Tamagotchi at around 9 or 10.

Eighth birthday.

How old are you now?

I still play with a few at a time.

Never.

Ebay.

Depends on version. The used connections being auctioned, the tama-gos, and the new v4's for $21 are examples of ok prices. The devilgotch, osu/mesu, ID, santagotch and oceangotch are very overpriced in my opinion.

For me not much at all. I'm good at listening whether I'm nursing a tamagotchi or not, but I guess it's different from person to person.

The tamagotchi has a lot to it depending on the version you have. Dealing with weight and a career, money to buy things and remembering to feed them. Do you think tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one (in your opinion not according to the packaging)?

I don't know how much they really teach about responsibility. I guess they can be good for learning, but there are definatly better things for learning responsibility out there.

I'd say about age 10 and up is a good age to start with tamas.

How old were you when you got your first tamagotchi? 10

How old are you now? 17

Do you still play with them or are you just a collector? I still play with them

How often do you see tamas being sold in stores (if at all)? Never anymore

Where have you gotten most of your collection? In stores when they were being sold

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors? not really, considering the Tama-Go costed $30 here when it was being sold

How big of a distraction do you think they are in a classroom setting? I will admit I have gotten distracted a couple of times looking after my Tamagotchis in class...

The tamagotchi has a lot to it depending on the version you have. Dealing with weight and a career, money to buy things and remembering to feed them. Do you think tamagotchi is a good way to teach kids responsibility and at what age is a child old enough to fully enjoy and care for one (in your opinion not according to the packaging)?

I think it may be a good way to teach responsibility, but only from a certain age where they know what they're doing, say, 10. There are better things for this.

How old were you when you got your first tamagotchi? 10, I think.

How old are you now? I'm 23 now.

Do you still play with them or are you just a collector? Both, some of them I play with and then some of them are just part of my collection.

How often do you see tamas being sold in stores (if at all)? Not at all anymore, the last ones I saw in stores were the music stars and those were about 4 years ago or so.

Where have you gotten most of your collection? Most of my collection came from eBay and walmart.

Do you think there worth the price being charged (online or in stores) to non-collectors? Some of them, but like the color ones not so much, non-collectors would not pay 80+ dollars for a tamagotchi.

How big of a distraction do you think they are in a classroom setting? Not that big of a distraction, honestly most tamas I own don't really require that you play with them all the time so that you could still have time to do your school work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back