Where did it come from?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamagotchialice

Reaction score
Hello, all!

Well recently I've took my iDL to school in a crochet Tamagotchi pouch.

One day I take it out and there is this HUGE-ish scratch on the screen! I dont know how it got there, and the yarn that was used was very soft! (Like, meant for baby blankets)

So if you all could help me thank you in advance!

My camera isnt that good, I circled with red the scratch. Here is a picture:

iaza19012288351800.jpg

Thank you in advance!

//T.A

was it in a pocket or backpack? If it was like, jacket or pants pocket, maybe metal scracthed it? If it's a backpack, maybe you had some stuff there? Also, maybe harder yarn may have helped?

- Puffalicous

Well I had it in a pouch made out of that extremely soft yarn for baby blankets, and It was just in a coin purse D:

The only thing metal on it is my mail keys, but those are on the outside :'(

The front glass faceplate of the iD L is extremely fragile, even a rough cloth can literally scratch it.

Is the front faceplate also covered by your pouch?

More than likely it was silica particles. Silica, or sand, is literally floating around in the air all the time. It can land on things like dust and even mix with dust--when it does and you wipe something, if it has a hardness level of 7 or lower, it'll get scratched.

It's also possible you had sand or rock granules in your pouch which got under the yarn, then when it shifted and dragged the yawn across the shell, the granule was dragged across the plastic, causing the scratch.

This happening is inevitable. I try to keep my stuff pristine and they never leave the house, but buy getting dust on them and then wiping them, I have gotten scratches due to the silica.

The front glass faceplate of the iD L is extremely fragile, even a rough cloth can literally scratch it.

Is the front faceplate also covered by your pouch?
Everything is covered by the pouch, it is literally a little pouch that can open and close for it :(

More than likely it was silica particles. Silica, or sand, is literally floating around in the air all the time. It can land on things like dust and even mix with dust--when it does and you wipe something, if it has a hardness level of 7 or lower, it'll get scratched.

It's also possible you had sand or rock granules in your pouch which got under the yarn, then when it shifted and dragged the yawn across the shell, the granule was dragged across the plastic, causing the scratch.

This happening is inevitable. I try to keep my stuff pristine and they never leave the house, but buy getting dust on them and then wiping them, I have gotten scratches due to the silica.
This is really helpful, but I only understand a little of it! But I can see what you are getting at :)

Thanks everybody so far! :D

You're a little young for it and it probably hasn't been taught yet, but I'll give you the gist.

Everything has a sort of hardness/firmness to it. There's a rating scale of 1-10, 1 being the softest and 10 being the hardest, it's called the Mohs scale of hardness. 1 would be say, talc (baby powder), and 10 is a diamond.

In this scale, things can only be damaged if it's the same number or higher. A 7 can scratch a 3, but a 3 can't scratch a 5, etc.

Plastic is a 2-4 on the scale depending on what it's made of, and sand is a 7. Sand can go around in the air as dust, so here you have particles of hardness 7 floating around. They can land on your Tamagotchi and then you wipe it with your hand, you're actually dragging those sand particles across the surface and scratching it up.

But yeah, it will happen. best bet is to protect what you can, such as the screen--that's more important. Get a screen protector if you can.

It's easy for something pointy or sharp to poke through the holes between the crochet stitches. You should line the pouch with some non-woven fabric such as a thick felt.

You're a little young for it and it probably hasn't been taught yet, but I'll give you the gist.

Everything has a sort of hardness/firmness to it. There's a rating scale of 1-10, 1 being the softest and 10 being the hardest, it's called the Mohs scale of hardness. 1 would be say, talc (baby powder), and 10 is a diamond.

In this scale, things can only be damaged if it's the same number or higher. A 7 can scratch a 3, but a 3 can't scratch a 5, etc.

Plastic is a 2-4 on the scale depending on what it's made of, and sand is a 7. Sand can go around in the air as dust, so here you have particles of hardness 7 floating around. They can land on your Tamagotchi and then you wipe it with your hand, you're actually dragging those sand particles across the surface and scratching it up.

But yeah, it will happen. best bet is to protect what you can, such as the screen--that's more important. Get a screen protector if you can.
Thank you! I understand more now that you've explained it. Thank you!

I voted this best answer, btw :33

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back