New rules and some changes for signatures

tamatalk signature rule change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:03 PM ( #1 )

Hello everyone!

Over the years our rules on signatures have evolved and changed quite a bit.  I have been seeing and hearing about a number of problems with some member signatures that result in major distractions while trying to read topics and stuff.  I am talking about things like reading a post that includes a signature which seems to be 10 times as long as each post a member makes or including some things that distract while reading a topic.  I think the time has come for some new limits to be placed on signatures.

These are the new limits for signatures:

Number of images: 1 image at 300 x 60 pixels

Number of lines: 9

BBCodes removed: Quote and Spoiler from signatures: Quote and Spoiler

Some explanation for these...

Number of images: This rule remains unchanged form the current.  I know many people have asked for being able to put larger images in their sigs but a signature is meant to be more a brief expression of yourself and not a big one...  You can express yourself best using the fields in your profile.

Number of lines: The new limit helps to control how much space a signature takes up on a page.  Nine lines is about the size of the quick reply box.  There is not a limit on font size since each font is different.  We do ask that you keep font size reasonable.  If your signature is taking up more space than the quick reply box at the bottom of a topic page, then it is probably too big.  I know a lot of people like to list out their collections...  Which is awesome to see...  But not with EVERY post they make.  I have added a 'My Collection' area to your profiles.  You can add as many lines as you need to show off your collection of virtual pets.  Just edit your profile to fill in your collections.

BBCodes removed: These two bbcodes have been used by some and so I am sorry if this disappoints anyone.  They are distracting and mostly unneeded in a signature.  They can be used in posting and everywhere else like before...  Just not in signatures.

One additional signature thing many people have asked about is adding a 'Likes' image like the ones Graficks made for all the TamaTalk Staff.  He was kind enough to make images that everyone can use in their signature. 

links-i-like-blue.jpg [linksblue]

links-i-like-green.jpg [linksgreen]

links-i-like-orange.jpg [linksorange]

links-i-like-pink.jpg [linkspink]

links-i-like-purple.jpg [linkspurple]

You can insert one of these into your signature by putting the bbcodes above.  This only works in signatures.  If you use the bbcode to insert it then this image will NOT count against your 1 image limit.

Please understand that changes to rules like this are never taken lightly.  The Guides and I have been discussing this for a while.  We know new limits can seem cruel but please udnerstand that we are aiming for a smooth reading experience for everyone.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

• Nazotchi25, graficks, Cave Johnson and 6 others like this

Replies

Views

Started

25 Mar 2013

Last Post

23 Jul 2013

Nazotchi25

• nazotchi25 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:16 PM ( #2 )

I actually find this to be a fair change. :)

EDIT: i found out an error, when you are changing your signature it says the following:

your signature may contain:

•  up to 1 image      images up to 300x60 pixels    Any number of URLs        "Any number of lines"

im guessing this was missed as you stated that there are only 9 lines now, oh well everyone makes mistakes. :P

Edited by Nazotchi25, 25 March 2013 - 01:24 PM.

• Admin likes this

Minecraft Addict

• minecraft-addict user photo

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:18 PM ( #3 )

It is definitly interesting. I don't have much for a signature, so it won't affect me much. But I think it's a step in the right direction. Sure some may be a little upset but hey, the site is still running. That's all that matters.

dazzilitchigirl

• dazzilitchigirl user photo

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:23 PM ( #4 )

I think these rules are good for keeping the odd really long signature under control, but they're reasonable. :)

Edited by dazzilitchigirl, 25 March 2013 - 02:23 PM.

neonmoo

• neonmoo user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:33 PM ( #5 )

I do like this change but I feel it could be shrunk even further :) 9 lines still seems rather a lot.

9 lines rather long especially as theres those people who feel the need to use obscenely large font sizes

tamafan325

• tamafan325 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:50 PM ( #6 )

I don't understand how you can insert the i like this thing
And after you have inserted the i like this thing, then you just copy and paste a link in your signature?

Edited by tamafan325, 25 March 2013 - 02:54 PM.

PurplePyonkotchi00!

• purplepyonkotchi00 user photo

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:01 PM ( #7 )

Sometimes I try to post a picture or something in my signature, but it won't let me, even though it is 300 x 60 pixels... :/

But besides that, I find the rest of the stuff cool :3 thanks!

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:20 AM ( #8 )

I actually find this to be a fair change. :)

EDIT: i found out an error, when you are changing your signature it says the following:

your signature may contain:

•  up to 1 image      images up to 300x60 pixels    Any number of URLs        "Any number of lines"

im guessing this was missed as you stated that there are only 9 lines now, oh well everyone makes mistakes. :P

Thank you for spotting this!  Looks like I missed an edit. :D  Hopefully it looks right now.

• tamatown123 likes this

tamatown123

• tamatown123 user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:24 AM ( #9 )

Sometimes I try to post a picture or something in my signature, but it won't let me, even though it is 300 x 60 pixels... :/

But besides that, I find the rest of the stuff cool :3 thanks!

That's happening to me too! 

Edit: It's working now. All you have to do is copy and paste the code into your signature (posted next to the image in the topic) and the image will appear! Simple! :)

Edited by tamatown123, 27 March 2013 - 12:53 AM.

Nazotchi25

• nazotchi25 user photo

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:36 PM ( #10 )

Thank you for spotting this!  Looks like I missed an edit. :D  Hopefully it looks right now.

Yep its good. all fixed up :D

Eternal Mametchi Fan

• eternal-mametchi-fan user photo

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:56 AM ( #11 )

Yay!  No more ugly annoying signatures filling up my whole monitor and hurting my eyeballs!  No more dumb useless spoilers!  Great job, Admin!  And those Mametchi link thingies are so adorable!  MAMETCHI! :newmametchi:

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:18 AM ( #12 )

Helpful note guys...

ONE small personal image and ONE Links I Like button.

This means ONE image. emotiocons work but ONE image not 50! { ONE }

If you have multiple emoticons, please remove them. They slow the website for some members. Signatures are suppose to be short a sweet.

*Hayden*

• hayden user photo

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:28 AM ( #13 )

Aww, why can't we have 2-3 pictures, maybe it has to be the same size as the 1,

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:43 AM ( #14 )

Aww, why can't we have 2-3 pictures, maybe it has to be the same size as the 1,

Because (as Admin reminded everyone in the first post of this topic) a signature is meant to be more a brief expression of yourself and not a big one...  You can express yourself best using the fields in your profile ;)

Tamacass

• tamacass user photo

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:06 PM ( #15 )

where is the BBcode typer thingy? How do you do a signature??? PLEASE ANSWER! :huh:

Edited by Tamacass, 14 July 2013 - 06:07 PM.

Nazotchi25

• nazotchi25 user photo

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:39 AM ( #16 )

where is the BBcode typer thingy? How do you do a signature??? PLEASE ANSWER! :huh:

Well you already have a signature, its the thing that appears under each post you make

The BBCode button is in the upper left corner of the text editing box. Its right next to the one that looks like an eraser

Edited by Nazotchi25, 15 July 2013 - 04:40 AM.

oddsandendswithlove

• oddsandendswithlove user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:56 PM ( #17 )

omg I think I might actually be slow..how do you get the links image above placed into the bbccodes area properly? what do I copy and paste?

*Hayden*

• hayden user photo

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:08 PM ( #18 )

omg I think I might actually be slow..how do you get the links image above placed into the bbccodes area properly? what do I copy and paste?

Type in [linksblue]

(Replace blue with Green, Orange, Pink and Purple if you like ^_^

PiIsARational

• piisarational user photo

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:32 AM ( #19 )

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but thanks.  Some signatures were really getting out of control.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamatalk, signature, rule, change