Bandai America - "TechPet"

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamatown123

Reaction score
axinib.jpg

Bandai America TechPet 2013

This is a new product that Bandai America are currently working on. I think Tamagotchi is discontinued now since nothing about it is on their site. Do you think TechPet will be similar to Tamagotchi? Yes I know, it doesn't look like Tamagotchi at all, but I was wondering if it could be fed and could play games and things. Like a Tamagotchi coming to life. What do you think?

Looks like a replacement for Tamagotchi. I already dislike it. If BanDai thinks Tama fans are going to be happy with some other toy that looks NOTHING like a Tamagotchi, they're wrong. Also, it requires an Apple product to work. When will companies understand that not everyone has, wants or can afford an iPhone?!

Requiring a Smart Phone or tablet in order to use it is pretty stupid. Not everyone has one. They should have gone the Furby route. Having a smart phone enhances the experience but it isn't needed to use the pet.

You know what the sad thing is? I don't have a smart phone with internet so I couldn't use this but I'll still probably end up buying one just to add it to my electronic pet collection. Well as long as it has some sort of AI and isn't a brainless noisemaker like the similar Wappy Dog. I've given up collecting stupid electronic pets that barely qualify for the term if at all like the cheaper FurReal newborns and such. Quality over quantity from now on.

EDIT: Scratch that. It isn't even a whole creature. The phone acts as it's face. This is probably the dumbest idea ever. I don't want my phone for a pet. A phone is a tool not a toy. I'd prefer to keep my electronic pets and my computer/phones/gadgets seperate thank you very much. I'm not going to treat a phone or a computer like a creature no matter how cute a face you put on it. With this tech pet thing, you have to rip it's head off every time you want to make a call or play a game or text. I hate this kind of thing. If I'm buying an electronic pet I want the technology behind it to put everything it has into creating a lifelike creature. I don't want a pet that is a pet one minute, a phone the next. I want a pet that's always a pet. Otherwise it isn't a pet at all. Just a stupid game. A worthless toy. They're dropping Tamagotchi for this? That's the problem. People are too glued to their stupid phones and tablets. Not everything has to revolve around the stupid things. Are we reaching a point where every thing that exists, every single thing we interact with is purely digital? It's like we're in the Matrix and humanity went in not just willingly but eagerly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tamagotchi replacement?! Blasphemy! Why would they wanna do that? :(

My guess is that some high ranking Bandai executive let his brain damaged pet monkey come up with ideas for new products. The process involved the monkey flinging poop at the walls and whatever the resulting poop smear resembles that's what they make. This particular poop smear resulted in the Tech Pet you see before you.

..This sucks cuz..I hate dogs. I love tamas cuz theyre all original creatures,Same with furby. I like the creativity. :)

My guess is that some high ranking Bandai executive let his brain damaged pet monkey come up with ideas for new products. The process involved the monkey flinging poop at the walls and whatever the resulting poop smear resembles that's what they make. This particular poop smear resulted in the Tech Pet you see before you.
I don't think the ideas are thought of randomly. Basically, Tamagotchi has a bad reputation, so they got rid of Tamagotchi and started again with a new virtual pet, which is probably almost entirely copied from Tamagotchi but with a new appearance and the involvement of a phone.

My guess is that, even though Tamagotchi is not seen as "cool" for older children or teenagers, young children couldn't get them either because of their parents reading about research that video games are unhealthy. But for some reason, parents let their children play non-educational, pointless games on iPhones but won't buy them a virtual pet, which can help teach responsibility. Also, the fact that this virtual pet looks more physical and like other toys, parents and children will see it as more of a toy than an electronic device, meaning more young children will end up using one.

I do think some thought has gone into this TechPet and it would be a nice virtual pet if it did not require a phone. An addition to the virtual pet genre - yes. But a replacement for the thing that started the virtual pet genre - no.

Bleh, wouldn't even consider getting that.. It looks horrible (and I don't own an Iphone)

Are there really THAT many children that own a 400 bucks mobile phone? Because, I mean, they have a target audience in mind, right? And that target audience are probably kids, right? How the hell does a little kid own an iPhone? That's just plain crazy.

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png

uhh sorry bandai, but you're like...2 decades behind XD

i actually owned a poo chi too, i thought it was cute..only for so long.

tamagotchis all the way.

hands down.

._.

The thing is if it didn't require a phone to serve as part of it's body it might have been pretty cool. Yes Poo-Chi was there first, but I'd have no problem buying a Poo-Chi retread. I liked Poo-Chi. But now everything has to revolve around smart phones and tablets because people can't seem to unplug long enough to do anything else. The smart phone aspect ruined what might have been a pretty cool pet. Smart Phone compatibility is a nice feature but the stupid thing shouldn't revolve around it. Furby did it right, Having a smart phone enhances the experience but Furby's still pretty fun without it.

if this is Bandai's "replacement" for tamagotchis, then I don't like it at all. -_-

I really don't like it. For one thing, you have to have an apple product to play with it! It just seems like one of those toys that are interesting for about 5 minutes before you throw it in a closet, never to be seen again. It looks like those I-Dog things from a couple years ago. I don't even know if it should be classified as a virtual pet, it doesn't look like you can really care for it. But I really hope BanDai doesn't stop making tamagotchis. :(

Replacing Tamagotchis with this is like replacing a delicious Thanksgiving dinner with a fresh steaming dump garnished with cockroach entrails. At it's very best Tech Pets is the GoBots to Tamagotchi's Transformers. No, scratch that. Tech pets are the cheap dollar store knock offs that wish they were GoBots to Tamagotchi's Transformers.

I am not interested in this... What works for Japan doesn't always work for the USA...

If they did an updated Poo-Chi "with" a phone not "required to have" with toy to make it work. It really throws a fast ball in the wrong direction. I highly doubt most parents want to "share" their important/expencive iphone...

Yes Bandai, we admit it... The USA loves their phones. However, if intending for a child, its still going down a dark path in the woods, unsure where the victim is going. There is a simmilar toy I see all the time in Walmart, doesn't look like any ever sold. Same lines of this, but soft and can be a plush...

Tamagotchi were popular because, they were not expencive, small, sound options, a clock and tought kids things. (care, love and bonding) I think they forgot this point with these... They were easy for kids to grab on the way out. Kept me entertained for long periods.

I think this is really cool! Even though not everybody has wants or can afford an iPhone like the above posts stated, I love it! A cute dog pet! New, too! I love the design, and why do you guys keep bashing BanDai? I want 5 proven answers of PROOF that it is replacing Tamas! All of you will not stop saying it is a replacement. Where on their website does it say that? Where does it say that? Nowhere So quit bashing BanDai, be thankful they made what they made. What if they had just abandoned the idea of Tamas from the start? They spent a TOn of money making and creating Tamas, they also gained a lot. Nobody knows for sure whether they gave up Tamas or not, but from recent emails to and from them, I dont think they are. Nobody here thinks about anything else!!! BanDai is NOT a Tama-only business They are allowed to make/help/create new products! So quit bashing them for making new things, alright? Gosh, guys. Be nice for once. Be thankful for what they made, and will make. Dont go bashing them, because what if they see this site one day, and this specific topic, and they get mad that you are bashing a product so they quit Tamas altogether? I know it is very unlikely, but it just makes me sick of when people bash things that people make and jump to conclusions. Please be nicer, guys. thanks for reading if you did...

tamagotchialice

Its the TamaLife topic they would be upset about. Its full of it...

I would rather have something else. I also wanted to point out some important factors why I think they are so successful all these years. Sweet like Candy, leaving you want more.

I have access to a iphone, but wouldn't use it for such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back