How did you get into Tamas?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When did you get your first Tama?

• 1996 to 2000, when the vintages were in stores

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • 2001 to 2005, when the early Connections were released

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • 2006 to 2008, when the late Connections were released

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • 2009 to 2012, when the Music Star and Tama-Go were released

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2013 or later, when BanDai America discontinued Tamas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think I made this topic ages ago, but it got inactive so this is a remake.

Anyway, the title explains it all - how and when did you get into Tamas? Through another virtual pet, through school during the Tamagotchi craze, or just because you saw them in a store and they looked cute? Share your stories about getting interested in Tamagotchi here! :D

I got into Tamas during 2006 or 2007, during the Tamagotchi craze, in order to fit in at school. My first Tama was a V4, then another V4, then a V3. I got back into Tamas a few years later after losing interest and began collecting, starting with the Music Star, the latest release at the time.

Got mine back in circa '98 - a Japanese Angelgotchi. I got it from my aunt who was in Japan that time - I asked her to get me one. :D

My classmates were so envious back then because they only owned P1s :) .

I fell out of the fad a year later, then restarted just last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woops, I accidentally voted wrong. I didn't get a real tamagotchi until 2010, which I bought myself just because I.. wanted to. But I had a knock-off tamagotchi back when all the hype started. I would love to have the exact same type again, but I barely remember it and doubt they exist anymore. It wasn't an egg shell but a house and the house was yellow and had a red roof and I think it had a chimney as well.. and the pet was a little chicken, or at least looking like a little chicken. If you have ever seen one like that, leave me a message. :p

And back then it was pretty much. A new toy! Exciting! Everyone has one! I want one, too! Like that. And I don't really remember why I bought one in 2010. I probably just saw a picture of one online and a wave of nostalgia hit me suddenly, just like now. I was looking for something and found my tamagotchi and though how neat it would be to play again. :)

mine was one of the original p1's.

it was all yellow.. and that's how it all started X)

It all started when i got a fake tama from my aunt :p then a few months later i got a v5 for my birthday and so did my aunt. then a month later,she gave her v5 to my brother when she forgot to pause it when she went to a movie then it died. it's tragic, really :p

I was already into virtual pets from 1996 (Dinkie Dinos) and kept up with them until the initial fade out in 1998. After that, I never thought about them again until 2005 when I was a high school student and wandering through the mall one day when I saw them lined up on the wall at Game Stop. I thought, "Virtual pets? Really? In this day and age?" and I purchased my very first V1 (green matrix design) and came home to start it up. Much to my dismay however, I found myself completely baffled as I remembered virtual pets being simple to operate, and this new version was rather complicated with an IR port and everything. So I got online to look and see if an online community existed somewhere, and stumbled upon TamaTalk. I immediately registered and started reading through topics until I familiarized myself with everything. Shortly after that, V2's came out. However, I remember them being available in Europe first for some reason. So I got on eBay and bought myself a V2 (purple maze design) and paid $40 for it at the time. Little did I know that the V2 would turn out to be my favorite modern release to date. :) Fast forward several years (and more money than I dare think about), I now have every single model ever released from 1996 to today. And so yeah, that's how I got into tamas and how my "collection" bug started when I got bit at the mall lol.

Ra,

I heard of Giga Pets first but dismissed it as a stupid concept. When Furby came out I fell in love with them. I started researching electronic pets and came across information on Tamagotchi. By that time Kay Bee Toys had them on clearance so I bought one just to see what they were. I loved it and went back the next day for more. It was probably around 1999.

I got into them way back in '97 when they first came out. I think I voted wrong though. I originally thought I had seen a commercial for them when I was a child, but now I'm thinking I just saw it in the store and fell in love. But alas, I can't really remember, I was only 8 years old. :p

I got my first tamagotchi in 90's at the age of 11. I never really stopped liking v-pets. I may have not always have had a tamagotchi based one but I never stopped using completely.

I first heard about tamagotchi through a conversion my father was having with his girlfriend about tamagotchi. After I talked of nothing but having one of my own. My first v-pet was an 8-1 pet actually. First tamagotchi was a p2.

i was about 5 (2005) and we were showing a guy how to cleaning up a house that was foreclosed (thats what my mom and dad used to do for work) and i saw a v1 and i picked it up and my mom said to put it sown but when she looked away i picked it up and put it in my pocket. i had it for some time and did not really know how to use it, and then one day i lost it. later on my 8th b-day we were at a ''toys r us'' and i saw one and asked my mom if i could get it and she said yes. she help me learn how to use it. it was a v4. then later i got a v4.5 and some pluch toys, but it was my brother's tama. then my dad got my sister 2 v5s and me and my brother one (because we already had one) and we had fun with them. after we moved (about 3 years ago) we lost one. my brother and sister gave me there's because they found them boring. i would play with them all the time. then i did not really like playing with them and kinda forgot them. them sometime in 2012 i started to like them again and got a tama-go. then i signed up for some wedsites (like this one). then i got a tamawalkie and a tamasuku. then for my 13th b-day my mom and dad got me a v2c. and i order a tama p's a wjhile ago and should be here any day now. if you want to know my whole tama co. then go to my profile it is right there on my about me page. so that is pretty much the story of how i got my tamas. and i still love them to this day! <3

Last edited by a moderator:
It was christmas 96 and my sis happened tog et one as a gift while working at meijers in my town. She wrapped it up and gave it to me as a gift and I've been caring for them ever since^-^

Yeah baby!!! people who are born in the early 90's got the best vote. PEOPLE BORN IN THE 90's ROCKS BABY, THAT'S WHY WE GOT THE BEST VOTE!!!! HOLLA BABIES!!!!! Oh, yeahhhhhh!!!

I bought a V4 after I saw Mametchi in a magazine and thought he was the cutest thing ever! XD I had never heard of Tamagotchi before because I am home educated and didn't talk to people at school. :p

I bought v7 Tamago Tamatown,16 may 2011.Why i still remember the day when I bought it,because i write it on back of my tama with permanent marker,first i seen that tamagotchi almost outstock.As a collector figurine and game i bought one.I bring this tamago to my home,and i just put it on my display cabinet.because i just want to collect unique stuff.and than next day i want to try play one time.Back at that year i do not have a dog.So i want to play and take care my tamagotchi as a pet.

day by day i am fallin in love with tamagotchi. but after dec 2011. I put my tamagotchi on my display cabinet because i have to go to university. and i never found tamagotchi anymore.

on April 4 2013 i seen Tamagotchi idl english version in local toy store and i bought it,and play. I love it so much.because i like the new feature and development from bandai.it has color . so we can still play it in the dark place.

the day before my birthday i got my p's,blue color.last stock in all around indonesia,indonesia is Huge.and this is the last stock.Reason why only her that sell japanese tamagotchi in indonesia,because in my country they don't like to play virtual pet.If we play it infront of them they will be seen us like ...aaa you know la.

I am happy that i can find this forum,I love tamagotchi and we all here love tamagotchi

My first tama was a V2 given to me by a friend. Eventually got the V3 shortly after release and started to collect them!

It's a long story....ahahah just kidding.

Well when I was younger (born in 1994) I had a yuki penguin, which I somehow managed to lose ( -cries- ). Then I got obsessed with neopets, which I played for about 7 years...then when they came out again circa 2004 one of my best friends bought one. Then my sister and I bought one each and got instantly addicted. Then I didn't play with them for about 2-3 years, but last year I was in one of those discount stores (where they send a lot of toys etc. that didn't sell well in regular stores) and I saw the pink tamago with the donut faceplate and the kuchipatchi figure, and I thought I would buy one for my sister (originally I thought it was just a case...) then I started playing with that again and got back into it and bought some from friends etc. who were no longer interested, then I got addicted to ebay. /mylife.

The great connection craze reached Sweden in 2005, and being a kid in a small school in one of the richest parts of the country, about 100 of 103 students owned at least one by early 2006.

I was sadly one of the unlucky ones, yet I harboured strong feelings for the critters from first sight. Before I knew basically anything of what they were I loved the adorable pixel creatures dearly. My great wish was for my parents to someday buy me one.

The school brakes were violently turned into tamagotchi brakes, when all kids stood huddled around close to each other, always caring for, laughing with, playing with and simply adoring their tamagotchi.

Stars in the eyes of every child.

Everyone connected with everyone, and all kids were happy.

The few people without a tamagotchi floated around, watching the miracles over peoples shoulders, and at rare happy moments getting to borrow one to play a game.

Just half a year later they were already all but forgotten by most, but not by me.

My eighth birthday arrived in late october 2006, and my dream came true.

My grandmother (being in collusion with my parents) gave me a brand new pink v3, ice cream designed.

The color was not one I would've chosen myself at all, but it really did not matter.

I loved my tamagotchi, and brought it to school every day, where the other kids recognized the tamagotchi and eventually started bringing theirs again, so basically my getting a tamagotchi started the second tama-craze on that little school, in the end causing the teachers to forbid tamagotchi.

You think I stopped bringing mine? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back