The Tamagotchi Effect

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robodog

Reaction score
I came across this concept as I was messing around on Google today. The Tamagotchi Effect is the name researchers have given to peoples' tendency to form relationships with robots or machines. The Wikipedia article is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamagotchi_effect

I thought it would be interesting to get my fellow TamaTalkers' views on the concept. For me it's definitely true. I grew so attached to my P's in the week he was functional that I still keep him nearby constantly. He is always with me. I take him everywhere. I still miss being able to care for him. But I still carry him around because I want him to have a life and not be stuffed in a drawer somewhere forgotten.

So what's your view? Is the Tamagotchi Effect true for you or are Tamagotchis just a game. What do you think of the concept?

I never knew about that before, thanks for posting it! Although I did suspect some of the facts in that article before I read it, especially "Those most likely to form emotional attachments are likely anxious-ambivalent individuals, who tend to experience high levels of distress and a need for strong relationships." The majority of Tamagotchi fans nowadays seem to fall into that category (not that I'm insulting them or anything) and that probably explains why they still like Tamas.

The "Tamagotchi effect" definitely isn't true for me, though I tried to make it true for me. I actually thought there was something wrong with me because I couldn't think of Tamagotchis as any more than toys. :p Now I see it's because I had real, human friends so I didn't need virtual ones.

As for what I think of the concept...well, to be honest I think most of the time it's a negative thing and, if possible, should be changed. I've seen others', and partially my own, lives get ruined because they think "friendships" with virtual pets are enough and they don't look for real friends. Yes, it can be useful for people who are going through temporary bad times, but not as a complete replacement for relationships with people.

It's only a negative thing if someone feels the need for human relationships yet uses virtual pets as a substitute because it's easier. I have no need for human relationships. I prefer to be alone. If I didn't have Tamagotchis I still would not seek out human companionship. I don't see Tamagotchi as a replacement for human companionship at least in my case. Having Tamagotchis doesn't make me any less likely to seek out human friends than not having them would. I'm not a people person. Never have been. I prefer animals and robots. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love tamagotchis, but I have lots of human friends. I like tamagotchi because i just like virtual pets, but tamagotchis grew on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back