Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Do your friends/family know that you collect?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Bubbles11

• bubbles11 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:32 AM ( #35 )

My parents have known for quite a while that I've been collecting them (Since I was 10, they bought me my very first one, plus a few others) but I don't think they know that I've been spending a lot of money on them. Most of my friends don't really know that I actively collect them, besides a select few that think it's really awesome. I'm 19 now and in college, and occasionally I have them out when I'm sitting in the student lounge, and people don't really pay attention to it but I am pretty self conscious about having them out in public. I only have one (online) friend that plays with them too, so I can't really share my enjoyment of them with anyone else. My boyfriend knows I collect them but he just accepts it as a quirk of mine (I also collect Pokemon items and beanie babies, so there's that.) My parents think it's silly and have thought so since I was about 14, but they don't really do anything about it. Though usually when a tamagotchi comes in the mail I take great lengths to hide that I bought it on ebay :P so I don't know. It's not a huge deal but I don't really broadcast it. I feel that I'm at the age where it's not cool at all to like them. A lot of TT users on here it seems are in their mid twenties or in their early teens, and there aren't many around my age. Seems to me I was caught in the wrong wave; the older TT users had the originals in the 90s and their generation likes them as pieces of nostalgia if nothing else, and the younger ones, they started with the Tama-Go's and ID's and stuff, but I started getting into them at age 10 and the fad quickly died with my age group. I'm rambling, but yeah. 

Brittygotchi

• brittygotchi user photo

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:09 AM ( #36 )

I feel that I'm at the age where it's not cool at all to like them. A lot of TT users on here it seems are in their mid twenties or in their early teens, and there aren't many around my age. Seems to me I was caught in the wrong wave; the older TT users had the originals in the 90s and their generation likes them as pieces of nostalgia if nothing else, and the younger ones, they started with the Tama-Go's and ID's and stuff, but I started getting into them at age 10 and the fad quickly died with my age group. I'm rambling, but yeah. 

I'm actually only a year older than you! So I guess we're in the same boat haha, let me know if you'd ever like to talk, I also don't really have friends my age who enjoy tamas 

Carol_tama

• carol-tama user photo

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:13 AM ( #37 )

My computer posted this twice...

Edited by Carol_tama, 25 October 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Carol_tama

• carol-tama user photo

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:14 AM ( #38 )

A lot of TT users on here it seems are in their mid twenties or in their early teens, and there aren't many around my age.

I'm only 2 years older than you and feel the same as you...
Btw, Brittygotchi is also 19.

Edited by Carol_tama, 25 October 2013 - 11:15 AM.

Brittygotchi

• brittygotchi user photo

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:24 AM ( #39 )

I'm only 2 years older than you and feel the same as you...
Btw, Brittygotchi is also 19.

haha I'm 20 as of last august :P

• Carol_tama likes this

Bubbles11

• bubbles11 user photo

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:43 PM ( #40 )

Well that makes me feel a little better, brittygotchi and carol_tama! :P I am friends with you both on here haha. At least there's someone who likes them around my age. I'm also really into pokemon and I feel like that's more socially acceptable for my age group.

Carol_tama

• carol-tama user photo

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:01 PM ( #41 )

Well that makes me feel a little better, brittygotchi and carol_tama! :P I am friends with you both on here haha. At least there's someone who likes them around my age. I'm also really into pokemon and I feel like that's more socially acceptable for my age group.

We both play pokemon, I have Y and Britty X if I'm not mistaken. ;) // sorry for the offtop

Claiken

• claiken user photo

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:06 AM ( #42 )

Im in the mid 20s era... got my first one around age 9 or 10 too.

WarOmnimon

• waromnimon user photo

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:20 AM ( #43 )

Pretty much everyone around me (Family and friends included) are good with the idea that I raise and collect virtual pets... despite me being 27 years old.  As a matter of fact, most of them are occasionally curious when I see them to see how the pets are doing as well.

So yeah, in my case the people around me are pretty supportive of the idea.  :)

• Carol_tama likes this

Carol_tama

• carol-tama user photo

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:55 AM ( #44 )

Pretty much everyone around me (Family and friends included) are good with the idea that I raise and collect virtual pets... despite me being 27 years old.  As a matter of fact, most of them are occasionally curious when I see them to see how the pets are doing as well.

So yeah, in my case the people around me are pretty supportive of the idea.  :)

Well, lucky you. ^^
Here, in Poland, people are by nature very judgemental and that's why I would be simply afraid to show my pets in public. ;P

Simmie

• simmie user photo

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:43 PM ( #45 )

My friends do know I collect tamagotchi, and their quite fine with it; I actually buy their old tama's off their hands, so they get some money and I get a cool new addition to my *small, but growing* family. win-win for everyone! Some people do give me flack about it sometimes, but in the end I can almost gaurntee that those people played with them as well, so why do I care?

As for my family, my immideate (mom, dad & siblings) do, and their a-ok with it! My mom actually likes them because she said it was the only toy I used to take care of when I was younger, and it taught you responsoblity/time managment. I still think to this day it's one of the only toys she'd approve me buying. Even last week I bought some off ebay, and she was excited to see them come in the mail!

For my sisters, it's brought us closer together; something that we could bond over and talk about. My sister turned 12 saturday, and she dose'nt know it, but I have a v4.5 PC pack in the mail for her! I sometimes even see her on youtube drooling over the tama's. I'm glad I have tamagotchi back in my life. <3

• Bubbles11 and *Hayden* like this

Eve_Requiem

• eve-requiem user photo

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:48 AM ( #46 )

Only my mom and sister know that I recently started collecting them again. My sister rolls her eyes and scoffs when she sees them, and often makes fun of them. We both used to love them when we were little, but she pretends not to remember hardly anything about them. However, whenever I have them around, she tends to ask me about them. Yesterday, she even asked to play a game! I think she might be a little jealous, so she covers it up by being mean.  :P  My mom loves that I have them because they make me less stressed and really happy. She often asks how they are doing because she knows that it makes me happy. Most of my friends would not be supportive, however. 

• Itsumo-nana likes this

Jhud

• jhud user photo

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:13 PM ( #47 )

Mom knows, obviously, and she is cool with it. Sister doesn't care, brother knows because he bought me my akais, iD and Tama Go and sees it as any other hobby, some of my mom's friends know, and good friends know. Not a big deal, I guess.

• Itsumo-nana likes this

Box

• box user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:16 PM ( #48 )

Spoiler

Edited by Box, 14 December 2013 - 06:16 PM.

Dr. Tama

• dr-tama user photo

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:30 PM ( #49 )

My friends and family know that I found mine again the other day and put fresh batteries in them, and when I brought them to school last week (I'm 17 and a senior in US high school), a bunch of my friends got all excited and told me stories about their old tamas. The senior class as a whole may be having a tamagotchi party tomorrow if enough others find theirs. We all got ours around the time V3s were released in the USA. I kinda kick started the craze when I bought my translucent pink V3 in fifth grade. When I told some of my old friends and fellow tama owners from elementary school, they were surprised to hear that their tamas from 7+ years ago are still in my V3's friend list! I'm already a bit of an oddball (in a good way) so it's not very surprising to them...

music_chick_05

• music-chick-05 user photo

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:40 PM ( #50 )

All of my family knows I collect them and are totally cool with it, but I just told one of my friends a while ago and they seem kind of weirded out by it  :(. Which is strange, because they're usually really nice and accepting about everything. Kinda sad, really.

SaitoHitomi

• saitohitomi user photo

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:46 AM ( #51 )

My Husband knows and doesn't seem to care. I purchased the P's without telling him about it and when it came I started playing with it like nothing was wrong, I didn't try to hide it. Obviously he asked what it was and the like but never said anything bad. The other day he even listened to my story about how my very first Tama got stolen, and he said he was sorry some (bleep) stole my pet. But as for everyone else...I try to keep it tucked away in my bag and play with it in there where no one can see. Occasionally my Dad comes to the house and I don't try to hide it from him or anything either but people I don't trust I tend to keep it to myself.