Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Do your friends/family know that you collect?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Carol_tama

• carol-tama user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:31 PM ( #52 )

Well, I've had a conversation about it today with my mom and she seems to be finally accepting it in 100%. :D

kuchipatchi love

• kuchipatchi-love user photo

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:20 PM ( #53 )

I told my co-workers about it the other day, one was super supportive and told me about the awesome times she had with hers, but the other one was like "uhh... what?".

My family knows and doesn't really care, and my fiance is SUPER supportive about me collecting them. He thinks they're cute, and I always listen to him rambling on about graphics cards and PC parts and whatnot, so he encourages me to talk about my tamas and what's new with them. He's just my favourite :wub:

• Carol_tama likes this

Jhud

• jhud user photo

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:18 AM ( #54 )

Most of my non-tamagotchi online friends are okay with that, I even got a v3 to one of my better ones for Saint Nicholas Day (another day in December in Europe where you have to buy gifts for your family... gifts or sweets) and she likes it. Thinking about getting her a v4 and also a tama for my gf even though I'm still kind of hurt by her... She loves her pets on Subeta and her Pou so guess she'd also love a tamagotchi.

magicboa

• magicboa user photo

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:58 PM ( #55 )

My husband knows, and will even play with one on occasion.  My parents knew, but did'nt care. (Both are deceased now). Mom-in-law knows, and thinks they are "complicated" lol.

Camoth

• camoth user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:44 AM ( #56 )

My family and friends know. Some of them are a little weirded out and some people from work make jokes about it behind my back. Ah well, it won't make me love my Tama's any less :)

SakuraLove

• sakuralove user photo

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:03 AM ( #57 )

All of my family know, parents don't entirely approve though they have stopped making comments. My fiancé plays with them on occasion (he likes to claim he can beat me at all the games :P) and my friends know and will ask me about my collection is coming along, they don't seem to disapprove so I'll take that as a win lol

amykola

• amykola user photo

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:52 PM ( #58 )

My parents know and fully accept I collect tamas, and have given me several tamas as birthday presents in the recent past. I actually asked for the P's for my 25th birthday- which is in a few days SO.. fingers crossed! My parents are also collectors of fairly unique things themselves, so they aren't at all judgmental about my choice to collect toys  ^_^ My friends are also well aware- and are indifferent to it! Some are more interested than others. I've even busted out my tamas to feed them etc. while out, like at bars, etc and people are usually always interested and fascinated by them.  :lol:

mametchi♫Tama-go

• mametchi%e2%99%abtama-go user photo

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:30 PM ( #59 )

Yes... I know my dad doesn't likes it much, but my mom and my sister likes it. Also, when I took mt Tama to school, no one really made fun of it, they lliked it, and wanted to play a game... but I doesn't like my tama in their hands. That's selfish, I know, but i treat my tama like a piece of glass, and they really don't treat it like I do. -_-  I also managed to make a friend of mine to buy one, but his mom won't let him take it to school  :angry:

tamastar133

• tamastar133 user photo

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:25 AM ( #60 )

They know and don't really care because they're not wasting money on buying me iPhones and cases because I don't want one but that's good news for them right? I feel left out sometimes in school since most girls talk about "Forever 21" and iPhones and shopping in the mall :< but I do love Tamagotchi's forever!

tamagothi_connexion

• tamagothi-connexion user photo

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:41 AM ( #61 )

My familiy knows I play them, but not how much they cost. Id get in so much trouble for that if they knew.  Everyone thinks theyre cute, and I let my sister borrow them every now and again

Zephyr

• zephyr user photo

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:22 AM ( #62 )

Boyfriend doesn't yet, but we have regular days set aside for us to hang out so I know he'll learn pretty soon! He'll probably give me crap but he knows I still play pokemon so this probably won't be all that weird to him. He's like the most laid back person ever. Hardly anything phases him!

My mom knows. She knows I've got the keychain Tama and I think she may have known about the one on my phone. I think it surprised her a bit but when I explained that this was a good outlet for my maternal instincts as well as my need to take care of something, she thought it was sweet. I'm 23 and far from ready to have kids, and I'm going through some stuff involving a lawyer and my apartment building so I can get my dog back (yup, that's her in my profile pic); this is a nice thing to have in the meantime for that.

My roommates will probably find out at some point. They're all pretty chill but I'm not too comfortable actually saying "Yeah I still have virtual pets." One of them and I made plans to go out this weekend, so she'll probably be the first to find out. I'm sure another of my roomies heard the beeping from my Tamago and probably wondered what it was. But nope, my roomies don't know yet.

I sent a picture of my keychain tama (Original) to a friend of mine in a text and said that I was surprised you could still find them. She joked about how hers died cuz she couldn't figure out how to feed them.

So pretty much, my mom and a friend of mine are the only ones who know that I collect. My plan is just to let folks find out on their own and then I'll just explain to them that they're still fun for me, they're cute, and they're a good outlet for when I feel those pesky maternal instincts/a drive to take care of something.

Edited by Zephyr, 17 June 2014 - 11:24 AM.

drewadrawing

• drewadrawing user photo

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:29 PM ( #63 )

One of my best friends and I got our Tamas together, so she knows :P

My parents also know because I'm home from school for the summer and I've been playing with a V2.

puzzledpanda

• puzzledpanda user photo

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:32 PM ( #64 )

My parents bought me my first tamagotchi. But as far as they know, that one, and the one I bought myself were toys that I just played with as a kid, grew tired of them, and no longer have any interest in. They don't know that I'm collecting them now. I'm not going to tell them. It's not that I'm ashamed, more that I just know that they wouldn't approve. My parents are not the sort of people who collect things. And my Dad already sort of makes fun of me, and gets annoyed at me for liking anime and manga. He's even made me feel bad about watching anime in the past. Like most people, he sees all animation as being childish and for kids. So something like a tamagotchi, marketed to kids, he wouldn't approve of. So really, by keeping my tamagotchis to myself, I'm saving myself and my family a lot of drama and conflict. When I move out, then I'll be free to leave my tamagotchis out around the house, and buy them off the internet.  :D

As for my friends, I haven't really told anyone the whole story yet. I showed one friend the tamagotchi L.I.F.E. app on my phone, and she said it was cute. We went to a dollar store later, where it turns out they had tama-go figures still being sold (which made me sad, because I don't have a tama-go  :( ) and she said it would have been cooler if they had been actually selling tamagotchis, not just the figures. So at least she thinks tamagotchis are cute and cool. I haven't told her I collect them, but I get the feeling she wouldn't find it surprising from me.  :P

I also mentioned tamagotchis to another friend of mine. I have to say, I was a little surprised by her reaction, because she's normally a very understanding, accepting person. She had this really embarrassed look on her face, like she was worried someone would hear me or something.  :rolleyes: And she kept looking around. We were eating in a restaurant. I didn't even talk about collecting tamagotchis. I just sort of mentioned how they still sell tamagotchis in Japan, which are in colour, but everywhere else tamagotchis haven't been sold for years, and how that makes me sad. So basically I told it the way a person would talk about some beloved, nostalgic childhood thing they miss having around. I thought that would be pretty normal. Thinking back, I'm still confused about her reaction. She watches anime, reads manga, plays pokemon.  :P So I thought she would have a more understanding reaction...

patchis-forest

• patchis-forest user photo

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:36 PM ( #65 )

my family definitely knows, theyre the ones i have to go through to buy them online. most social media sites i go on has pictures of my tamas somewhere. i mostly keep my tamas at home, though, so when i go out of the house its not so obvious.

derekq

• derekq user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:10 PM ( #66 )

My parents say I am very childish, not growing up :( but.... I still love them they are the important part that build up my childhood.

I love this topic

Jokus

• jokus user photo

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:40 PM ( #67 )

Most of my friends knows, but I let them find out on their own and tell them about it when they ask. The idea of being "that tamagotchi girl" doesn't really appeal to me; there is after all so much more to every person than their hobbies; so I don't make such a big thing over it, but rather laugh at myself and say it's just another one of my strange hobbies...
My family all knows, and the older I get, the more they accept it as a strange but serious hobby instead of a child's play with toys. They're cool about it, but might raise their eyebrows at me mockingly if a tama beeps at me :P

derekq

• derekq user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:11 PM ( #68 )

Ya your absolutely right, it is every hobbies, who cares what they say. Though I am shy, anyways, I choose to ignore them.

Edited by derekq, 22 June 2014 - 07:05 PM.