New to collecting tama's seriously.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simmie

Reaction score
After introducing myself, looking around for a while and playing with some of the first tama's I had, I realized how much I loved them again! I used to collect them when I was younger, yes; but not seriously, and I tended to lose them. But looking at others collections, I wondered:

• How did people start out collecting
  • Do people collect like all versions of Tama's? Or do people collect shells that they like? Because I think I would be the second of the two. There are many beautiful shells, especially for the V2 and V4.5 I find.
  • How much does it cost to amass x amount of Tama's in a year? And where do people usually get their tama's? Via like trades, ebay, etc?
  • What would be the *best* time to get a Tama? Like, when they are most commonly around on ebay/amazon/import sites.
  • Is there a price guide generally for Tamagotchi? Like example, the cost of a New V3 in package vs a loose one?
Seeing all the collections made me realize how much I wanted to do this as a child, but we were tight on money back then. Now almost 17 and with a job, and been lurking TamaTalk again activley for nearly a month, I would like to try again; even if it means just adding 2-3 to my collection, then getting more when money is better and when I really, really want to collect!

- I started collecting about 4 years ago, officially. Before, I just had a few tamas from my younger days and then I started to expand it.

- It depends on who is "collecting" some people only like the old ones and will collect those, some only like the new ones and will collect those ones.

- This also depends where and who you're buying from. Sellers on TamaTalk have prices that are fairly decent. Tamas are not cheap though. I usually just buy my tamas on ebay.

- Tamas seem to be up for sale at all times, just keep your eyes open.

- There is no really "price guide", but you can set price limits for yourself. For example, do you really want to pay $30 for a used v3? Hell no. I would say that would be the price of a BUY IT NOW new v3 on ebay.

You can score really good used tamas for $10 if you find bids and watch them closesly.

I'm a general toy collector, mainly Tamas, Monster High/Ever After High and MLP. I had a big chest of old/tatty/baity toys at my parents house, and when I moved into my own flat I realized I needed to look through the chest and decide what to keep and what to throw away. I only kept a vintage barbie (which made me a couple hundred pounds on eBay haa) and a a near-mint V5 Tamagotchi. I got new batteries for the V5 and it worked like a dream. I ran it for a while before it started resetting every 5 seconds because it had the drop glitch, by which point I'd already ordered an iD Le from eBay :) .

• Do people collect like all versions of Tama's? Or do people collect shells that they like? Because I think I would be the second of the two. There are many beautiful shells, especially for the V2 and V4.5 I find.

Most people collect everything. Not very many buy based on the shells to be honest. I know a few people only buy vintages or connexions but I'm not sure if anybody only buys colours, mainly because of how pricey they can be. But most people buy vintages connections and colours :) .

• How much does it cost to amass x amount of Tama's in a year? And where do people usually get their tama's? Via like trades, ebay, etc?

If you buy new, most Tamas run you around £30. So getting 5 will cost you £150 as a verrry rough estimate.. Its hard to say though, because connexions are for the most part cheaper than vintages, but a used Angelgotchi will only cost about £15, where a new V3 will cost £30. iD Le's will easily run you £100, whereas a P's with shipping included, about £35. People mainly gather vintages and connexions from eBay or trades and colours from AmiAmi/HLJ/CD-Japan.

• What would be the *best* time to get a Tama? Like, when they are most commonly around on ebay/amazon/import sites.

There isn't one. Maybe around spring when teens, mainly, have to tidy their rooms and they find some. They'll normally be pretty beat up though. Christmas can also see a few random Tamas popping up on Amazon for no particular reason. I remember last christmas I found a MIB P1 on Amazon x3. Keeping a sharp, beady eye on eBay all year around is good for vintages/connexions, but keeping an eye on Amazon or AmiAmi/HLJ/CD-Japan all year round is good for Colours, especially if your up to date on whats coming out when.

• Is there a price guide generally for Tamagotchi? Like example, the cost of a New V3 in package vs a loose one?

No. It all depends on what you personally are willing to spend. I spend extra on buying things new in package for instance, buying mint will run you a lot of extra money over just buying minty loose/used Tamas, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

I started out a little over 2 years ago when I had some money to spend on ebay and I decided I wanted a tamagotchi because I enjoyed them so much as a kid, I ended up getting an ichigotchi tamago figure thinking it came with the tamago but was sad when I got it in the mail, so a little while later I got a tamago and picked up all the figures I could find in stores. I loved running my tamago but I really wanted something more portable. After getting the V3 I bought for my friend so many years ago back, I decided i wanted more features, and around that time I decided I just wanted every version and all the prettiest shells of each one.

It really depends on the collector. That's what I love about v-pet collecting, everyone's collections are so personal and unique. Personally, I want one of every version as well as all the shells I like the most.

It really depends on which versions you are buying. I usually get my tamas from ebay, flea markets, and yard sales. It also depends on whether or not you mind getting your tamas used. For english connections and some vintages, I don't mind some minimal wear, so I get most of mine used. Any of my color or other japanese tamas I prefer to buy new though.

I haven't really noticed any pattern with certain times of year when it comes to availability/prices. Right before Christmas there might be a few more than usual due to people needing money for christmas presents though.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more that $40 (shipping included) on a NIP V3, but there are so many different variables in values even with each version, such as some shell designs might be more rare than others. If you just spend a lot of time window shopping on ebay you will get a general idea of what versions/shells go for how much.

Thanks for all the input guys! I hope you know I take this all to heart, especially from experienced collectors such as you guys. Now I'm aware I won't get like a 100 tama collection overnight, but to start small; mainly with tama's I'd actually like to play with. Although I do wonder about eBay.

I am a Canadian, so shipping prices will naturally be higher for me, no matter what. But why are loose tamas so overpriced? I got the v4.5 PC pack (my first eBay purchase!!) for just under $30, and meanwhile I find a loose v4 at that price because it's 'rare'? o_o and I was around from the v2-music star release, and I know the shell was not rare, lol.

Also, how would I be able to store them without some sort of shelving unit? My family moves often, which means having to take down things, and things sadly getting lost. I move into my final "permanent" home summer 2014, so I'd need to find a solution in the meantime.

I didn't intentionally start collecting them; I just bought Tamagotchis when I was a youngin whenever they released a new version. Now, I actively seek them out on eBay, and have troubles resisting impulse buys!

I primarily shop for vintage Tamagotchis, primarily because the gameplay is simpler. That said, I have bought a few Tamagotchis just because I really like the design.

Tamagotchis can add up quite quickly. I usually bid for mine, and I've scored a Tamagotchi for $5 (+ $10 shipping). It really depends on what you're looking for, because some Tamagotchis are worth more than others.

I hope this helps :)

Well throughout my childhood, I originally just got one of each version as they came out. Even when the TamaWalkie was $5 here, I only got one. As I got older I began to wish I bought more. They stopped selling Tamagotchis for the most part. Anyway, when I was 13 I bought my first color Tamagotchi, the iD L. It was my first time buying something online and began to browse more Japanese shopping sites. I decided that buying online was the only way to get more Tamagotchi virtual pets, merchandise, etc, and I gradually became a "collector". I search around for what merchandise and versions I'd most like to play with and have as part of my collection; I don't really look for the rarest and most sought-after stuff unless it's pretty cheap; I mainly get what interests me most.

It depends. If I want another Connection and find the version I'm looking for at a cheap price, I'll buy it even if I find it ugly. I'm less likely to buy a Tamagotchi just because I like the shell design, but if it's really good, I'd consider it!

Hmm, I never really thought about how much I spend on Tamagotchis... most of the money I spend is for Tamagotchi merchandise rather than the pets themselves. Most of my Tamagotchis were either bought at the shop when they were released, or bought in second-hand shops. Many of my Tamagotchis I got from tBay but I usually buy my stuff from online Japanese shopping sites.

Not really sure on that one... possibly when a new version is released, or around Christmas when people are selling their old stuff.

It would take a lot for me to spend more than $10 on a loose COnnection; as for new in package ones, I haven't bought a NIP Connection although I do buy NIP Tamagotchis of other versions, such as the color screen ones, unless I find a used one for much cheaper

Hope I helped ^_^

How did people start out collecting?

I returned to the hobby pretty recently. I was 14 or 15 at the time I started collecting. I had several Tamas in my old house, including the first Tamagotchi Color, but I had to discard them (and sell the Color) because I didn't figure I'd be interested in them again. I had collected them probably since the V2. Ironically, the earliest Tamagotchi Connection I own now is the V2. .

Do people collect like all versions of Tama's? Or do people collect shells that they like? Because I think I would be the second of the two. There are many beautiful shells, especially for the V2 and V4.5 I find.

I prefer collecting versions rather than shell designs, although I may perhaps collect a different design for a favorite Tama (ID L or the V4.5) if the price is right.

How much does it cost to amass x amount of Tama's in a year? And where do people usually get their tama's? Via like trades, ebay, etc?

Err, I don't know how much money I nor my fiancée have spent. My estimate would probably be about approximately 300-400 dollars (USD). I bought my Tamas from ebay.com, hlj.com, global.rakuten.com, CDJapan.com, and a few trades here at tBay.

What would be the *best* time to get a Tama? Like, when they are most commonly around on ebay/amazon/import sites.

I check eBay everyday, so I have no technique for which month to start scouting for Tamas. You just gotta get lucky.

Is there a price guide generally for Tamagotchi? Like example, the cost of a New V3 in package vs a loose one?

I usually don't purchase a Tama if its asking price is double than it was 8 years ago. Tamas sold for 15 USD: anything more than 30 would be my limit. I don't buy Tamas that appear battered, such as faded designs, missing parts, or discernible scratches on the screen. As for a used Tama, depending on its condition, the maximum amount I'd spend is 20 USD.

Also, how would I be able to store them without some sort of shelving unit? My family moves often, which means having to take down things, and things sadly getting lost. I move into my final "permanent" home summer 2014, so I'd need to find a solution in the meantime.

Most people who don't have their collection on display keep their collections in boxes or dedicated drawers when they aren't running them. I'm sort of in between homes right now so I keep mine in an easy-to-travel box (this is the only reason I'm glad my collection is small)

I've also made crochet pouches for each one to prevent them from bumping around against each other. Keeping everything together is the best way to ensure that nothing gets lost. This way you really only need to keep track of your collection as a whole (as well as whatever you have running)

tumblr_mv1hdt2pIa1rlaxa9o2_250.jpg
tumblr_mv1hdt2pIa1rlaxa9o1_250.jpg
tumblr_mv1hdt2pIa1rlaxa9o3_250.jpg

Likewise, this is how I (messily) store my Tamagotchis. For those in boxes (my ID-L, Digimon, and Entama), I leave them out on my bookshelf.

(Clicky) This somehow fits into this.

How did people start out collecting:

I heard about tamagotchis back in 2004 when the new V2 came out... i bought one, and enjoyed it. That started me on wanting to collect the ones i had as i kid. from then, it went to similar pets (like, i had a P2 as a kid, and i wanted to know what the P1 was like, so i found one).

Do people collect like all versions of Tama's? Or do people collect shells that they like? Because I think I would be the second of the two. There are many beautiful shells, especially for the V2 and V4.5 I find.

I normally, especially for the newer ones, go for price first, then if there are several at that lower price, ill pick my favourite shell out of those ones. Nanos or P1,P2 are the only ones I may get other shell colours for sentimental/nostalgic reasons.

How much does it cost to amass x amount of Tama's in a year? And where do people usually get their tama's? Via like trades, ebay, etc?

I dont even want to calculate that!!! lol. but i try to be reasonable. not too many at a time, not too high a price, etc.

What would be the *best* time to get a Tama? Like, when they are most commonly around on ebay/amazon/import sites.

when you catch a good deal i suppose! thats been the way for me anyway.

Is there a price guide generally for Tamagotchi? Like example, the cost of a New V3 in package vs a loose one?

depends where you live, and where it lives. ex:from USA to canada, usually add about $10 for shipping regardless of item price. for me loose ones with sihpping start at $15 at the absolute lowest!

Claiken, I trust you mean 2005? 2004 is when the Plus/V1 came out.

I was around back in the 90s when the virtual pets first hit the globe. However, oddly enough I never had any Tamagotchis then. I was more interested in Dinkie types, and I remember going after those. In 2005 I bought my first Tamagotchi (V1) and fell in love with it. Shortly after, the V2 came out and it wasn't too long when the V3 followed through. I just kept buying each new version as they came out with no conscious decision to collect them. It wasn't until I purchased my first vintage Tamagotchi (angelgotch) that I thought, "Y'know, I think I'd like one of each version ever released since its inception." I went after all of the vintage Tamagotchis first, before moving on to modern Japanese releases. But yeah, that's how I got started with my collection.

I did the first of the two. I went after all versions of Tamas and currently have a complete collection.

Depends on which versions you're after, really. I can proudly say that I've never paid the full amount for any of the Tamagotchis in my collection. I've made incredible deals over the years and I guess that's a consolation for the overall price of my collection lol. However, a decent sized collection can cost well into the thousands. Collecting Tamagotchis isn't a cheap hobby I'm afraid lol. I've mostly bought through eBay and Yahoo Japan Auctions. However, I've done a few trades over the years and shop online at Amiami, HLJ and CDJapan as well.

Before it actually comes out. When you pre-order on sites like Amiami, HLJ or CDJapan, you get them for much cheaper than waiting for them to pop up on eBay.

It's exceedingly difficult to price Tamagotchis, as it all depends on demand. The market fluctuates so rapidly. A very good example I could give you would be the IDLEs. When they first popped up, they cost roughly around $80-100. But when more and more people started going after them, they sky rocketed to $200 on eBay. The best bet is to browse through several pages, look at all of the different prices of the particular model you're looking for, and do an average. Ordinarily, loose ones will cost less than MIB ones. But not always so.

Ra,

There are already two existing, active topics on the forum that allow members to share the different ways they organise / store / display their tama collections:

Organising your collection: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/187196-organizing-your-collection/
How do you store your tama collection: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/187391-how-do-you-store-your-tama-collection/
and also the Tama Collection topic: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/169075-your-collection/ (this one is quite long to read through but often, when photos are posted you can see how they are stored / displayed and it may give you a few ideas).

I think It is definitely worth looking through these topics for ideas to answer your question about storing them :)

Also, it would be helpful if everyone who wants to share how they store/organise/display their collections to please post replies in the existing, active threads I've linked? This way, all the info stays in just a couple of easy to find topics which everyone can refer to instead of having to search through lots of different topics.

This thread that Simmie has made is a good one to collect background info on how & why collections were started (and how much they can cost / how long they can take to build up). It's always really interesting to read about other members experiences and why they collect :)

Tamamum; Yes, I do Remember reading those ones, just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I was missing really! I do currently have a baby simulator project, so I'm hoping to have more time to read once the project is done on Monday!

But yes, I was basically looking for answers from experienced members on how to start a collection, and how much it would cost me. I got some really good answers so far, and I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer. ^_^

Although the box is very good way at storing tamas, I might even get one myself! Now i'm aware that some members make crochet covers, but I might not have the cash/time to get them for all my tama's. Is there like some sort of pouch I can buy (I am aware there is these tamapouches they used to sell), so I can store my tama's there, scratch-free?

Finally, thanks for all the advice guys! This was really fun to read, and very informative for me. Iv'e seen some collections before making this thread, and I was like "O.O how long did that take??" Do people pay more for shipping in the end than the tama itself? Because I want to buy locally so I can avoid this, but not many people in the the GTA seem to have them for sale right now! D:

Prices for tamagotchi really seem to vary wildly at points, so it can be hard to tell if something is actually worth that much, or if ebay users are just pricing them around that because everyone else is - I've found prices have really gone up the past couple of years.

In terms of pouches, I have a couple of coin purses from Dollarama that work very well - they tend to fit everything up to the various color tamagotchi, so they're pretty versatile.

I know I started collecting seriously in around 2008 (and I collect pretty much EVERY vpet out there I can get my hands on) and my collection easily doubled in size with one VERY lucky purchase of someone's entire non-tamagotchi vpet collection. I store mine in plastic storage drawers from canadian tire - i have two like these, though if you have a smaller collection there's a smaller option avalible that would probably work well.

Most of the vpets I've purchased locally have either been found at garage sales/flea markets, or Value Village, specifically. I'd rather not tally up how much I've spent on my entire collection, but if you're patient, a lot of good deals can be gotten - I got three loose, used ID-Ls for 20$ + shipping a month or two ago, for example. As I said before, ebay pricing is really all over the place, and sometimes cheap listings do pop up, so it's worth checking in every so often.

depends where you live, and where it lives. ex:from USA to canada, usually add about $10 for shipping regardless of item price. for me loose ones with sihpping start at $15 at the absolute lowest!
I don't agree with that, ''add about $10 for shipping'' when you're from Canada... On friday I scored a V5 for 12.50 USD with the shipping to Canada. You have to check Ebay every day; cheap Buy It Now's are sold in hours!

Also never buy a Tama without thinking about it twice. All you'll know is that when you'll see a great real deal, you'll have to money left and miss it! And I personnally don't think you should get Vpets other than Tamagotchis right away if you're going to build up a collection!

I'm going to share my best trick with you: many people don't realise what they're selling. They'll only name the listing ''Used Virtual Pet bought 2004'' or ''Tamagotchi purple and pink hearts, 2004 toy'' and sell it for 10$ while it's worth +20$. It's hard to find them because they don't use common tags such as V5 and Entama, but theres less people willing to buy too.

I got alot to relate on this as I am very new to the tamagotchi family! :)

As mentioned before by Brittygotchi, my first tamagotchi was/is also the tama-go ( Mine was 28 dollars from amazon) and before buying it, I almost brought a memetchi figure with faceplate thinking that it was a tama-go on ebay ( :p ) but my brother stopped as he knew that a tama for 2 dollars with 10 dollar tax has to be something else....... lol :p

I am very new to the tama family too so I dont know where to start.....is it hard to take care of all the tamagotchis? I mean , as most of you are collectors, how do you care for them all? Is it hard?

I really think the tamagotchi connections are fun....I am thinking of getting the v3, v4 and v6 because, I want an easy tamagotchi which I can carry around everywhere like a keychain ( I carry my tamago in my pocket :D )

So yea and it is also hard to trust online now because you never know who is dangerous ( they might steal your credit card # ) and my parents only trust Amazon and amazon is pricey on tamas. :(

• How did people start out collectingWell, my love for virtual pets in general started when I was 4-6, cause that was the time I got my first vpet ever. I loved it with all my heart and I have always had a vpet since then. I started collecting them when I was about 15, cause that's when I got my second tama - a v4 (I got a v3 2 years earlier).
  • Do people collect like all versions of Tama's? Or do people collect shells that they like? Because I think I would be the second of the two. There are many beautiful shells, especially for the V2 and V4.5 I find.I want to have one of each, tho when I see a version I already have, but in a nice shell, I buy it (if it's rather cheap).
  • How much does it cost to amass x amount of Tama's in a year? And where do people usually get their tama's? Via like trades, ebay, etc?I got most of my odd pets via trades. But in general I get tamas and other vpets from ebay or allegro (polish ebay-like site).
  • What would be the *best* time to get a Tama? Like, when they are most commonly around on ebay/amazon/import sites.I'd say before Christmas. I see a lot new offers on Allegro when Christmas comes cause people know that other people are looking for Xmas gifts for their kids.
  • Is there a price guide generally for Tamagotchi? Like example, the cost of a New V3 in package vs a loose one?Not really, but the truth is that tamas without packaging, used will always be cheaper than NIP/NIB ones.

When I was about 10 years old, I started collecting Digimon. I was a serious Tom-Boy, and because all the boys (and some girls) at school had them, I did as well. Absolutely loved it.
I never managed to get a BanDai Tamagotchi when I was younger (1997, when they first came out) - my parents thought that they were a waste of money, and since I was only 6 years old, I never got one. I ended up getting a Puppy Dog digital pet and it died the same day I got it.

When the Tamagotchi Connection came out in 2004 (??) I was ill that day, so my Mum raced me down to K-Mart and I bought two of them. The infatuation and thrill of the chase has hooked me ever since.

I tend to collect Tamagotchi based on the design of the shell. I have a lot of Tamagotchi that I prize because of their unique and totally cute designs. I do collect all versions of the Tamagotchi, as I would like a complete set of them - even some special editions. I would like to add more P1/P2 Tamagotchi to my collection. I'm currently on the hunt for Angelgotchi, Mesutchi and Ocean.

I usually buy a Tamagotchi once every six months. I work almost full time, and I don't go online as much as I used to. I buy most of mine on eBay, it's just easier and convenient. Sometimes my friends give their old ones to me, they don't see the point of collecting them like I do. :D

To be honest, I don't know how much I have spent on Tamagotchi throughout the years. Digimon cost around $20 back in the day and I have 7 of those... My collection - I have probably spent over $250+ over the past few years. Most expensive was my iD L.

Right now. I have seen more Tamagotchi on eBay around Christmas time, than any other time of the year. I wouldn't stress too much, there seems to be an endless amount of them online at any one time.

In general, Tamagotchi that are packaged are usually more expensive. It really depends on the model of Tamagotchi you are searching for. I find that the ones out of the packaging work just as well and some of the shells are in pristine condition. But if you are somewhat picky about the shells and features working - definitely go for packaged ones.

How did people start out collecting
In the summer of 2010 I was cleaning my room and found a very beat up V3 at the bottom of my toy chest, I picked it up and ran down the stairs to my mum screaming "I found my Tamagotchi! I found my Tamagotchi!" at the top of my lungs. My very cool mother was all "We must go to ASDA and buy batteries!" and so we drove to ASDA and bought a double pack of watch batteries. We stole one of my dads screwdrivers and carefully unscrewed the back, popping out the old battery and placing in a shiny new one. We heard a long solitary beep and started dancing around the room with happiness.

After playing for about a week I googled Tamagotchis, where I found this forum and Tama-Zone. I learned all about the Japanese colour Tamagotchis and quickly ordered myself an ID from eBay for christmas. I later picked up a few more, and a few more until I got my current collection. I only recently signed up for the forum because I felt lonely, I didn't feel the need to before a week ago >w<!

I mainly collect Tamagotchis from the current ultra-girly theme in Japan. My current aim is to grab at least one of every Colour version and all of the anime toys. After that I'll start on Vintages/Connections. I wouldn't buy a Tamagotchi for its shell, but I wouldn't buy one if I thought its shell was ugly. I'm more interested in versions than in shells.

My collection is very slow growing considering I've been collecting for nearly 4 years and don't even have 10 >w<! As such, I don't spend very much on them, though I have been spending more recently. I probably spent about £50 a year until this year, where I've spent around £100.

Christmas. People put their old ones up so people can get them as christmas presents.

Not really... just NEVER pay more for a loose Tamagotchi then you would a NIP one... even if you adore the shell... you'll regret it if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back