Double Standards

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Box

Reaction score
name some double standards

I'll start off with something random:

_____

Athiest admits he can't be absolutely certain there isn't a god

why so dismissive? after all, he doesn't know eevrything there is to know--must be pretty arrogant

Religious person is 100% certain that god is real and couldn't possibly imagine being wrong about such

^so humble

_____

.-.

There are tons of ones relating to gender. For example: If a woman doesn't love a man because of his weight, she's allowed to have that opinion. Yet, if a man complains that a woman is overweight, he's a terrible person.

Or if a man dates a ton of people, he's a stud/player/whatever you wanna call him. If a woman dates a ton of guys, she's considered trashy.

I dunno, man. Society is confusing.

racially, there can be a double standard.

white male: assumed success based on achievement
black male: assumed success based on affirmative action

What exactly are "double standards" for...? That is, some seem racist/sexist, so surely they could cause offense...? :eek:

Don't really know of some...and if I did I'd probably prefer to not mention them. :p

What exactly are "double standards" for...? That is, some seem racist/sexist, so surely they could cause offense...? :eek:

Don't really know of some...and if I did I'd probably prefer to not mention them. :p
Really recommend that if you don't know what "Double Standards" mean, you use Google/Yahoo/Ask - any search engine - to look it up:

(Here's one explanation):

a rule or principle which is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.

(you kind of get clues from the examples given already - different rules for different people applied to them when they are in a similar situation):

Here's a double standard that exists in my part of the world and always causes a lot of controversy... why is it OK for a black guy to call another black guy a word beginning with the letter N when any other person of a different ethnicity would be reviled for calling a black guy that word?

This double standard also applies to other racial and ethnic slurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really recommend that if you don't know what "Double Standards" mean, you use Google/Yahoo/Ask - any search engine - to look it up:

(Here's one explanation):

a rule or principle which is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.
:] Ok. Sometimes I don't bother to search some things...

So it is unfair since it is different for different people/groups...though, some terms/ideas can be ok if they are used by a certain group (like the word beginning with N..., which in my opinion is a bad word :D ). But that doesn't mean double standards themselves are ok... ;P And yes I know some more common and weird ones like that...but they are indeed unfair. ;P There needs to be less discrimination... :)

Women can wear masculine clothing and not get shamed for it, while men can't wear feminine clothing because they will be laughed at by both their own gender and the opposite one... Sigh.

Reactions: Box
In yesterday's society, the ugly had to be twice as nice. (And blacks twice as courteous.)

One I really hate is that it's wrong when a man abuses a woman. It's treated as a serious matter. However, if it's a woman hitting a man then people call the man a "pansy" for getting beaten up by a woman. I've seen many of those TV shows about people in bad relationships and whenever it's a man getting beaten up by his wife/girlfriend no one will help him. People just make fun of him, even the police. The man often ends up being killed over it.

In my classes at least I've noticed that if the guys are disruptive in class the teacher just lets it slide or treats it as a joke, but if a girl does the same thing they're automatically sent out of class and told off pretty harshly. Anyone that feels entitled to be a nuisance should get the same treatment.

In my classes at least I've noticed that if the guys are disruptive in class the teacher just lets it slide or treats it as a joke, but if a girl does the same thing they're automatically sent out of class and told off pretty harshly. Anyone that feels entitled to be a nuisance should get the same treatment.
In my past experiences in the classroom, girls can kick guys in the nuts and nothing happens (probably not in high school, but once upon a time.-.)

Typical female teacher reaction: *chuckle*

Typical male reaction: *coughs and pretends nothing happened*

Okay so like. If girls are sleeping around then they're called a slut. But like. Guys sleeping around and suddenly they're the coolest kid on the block. Why can guys be sexually active with no shame but girls can't? What's up with that? It's still the same activity for both genders.

Also like, guys' clothing is so limited. Girls can wear skirts or pants. But guys are shamed for wearing like a skirt or something. It's fabric guys. Fabric. Fabric pieced together into different shapes.

Why do gender roles have to be so different? Why do we have to look at someone as a boy or a girl, and not just simply a person?

/nerds and geeks alike assumed to be sapiosexuals

"why're you using the laptop so much
"too much is bad for you"
"that laptop over there is ugly"

it's not the laptop
it's what's done with it

what if I came up to you while you were reading a book
and said,
"why're you staring at paper"

That's the one double standard I just hate:

"kids these days only waste their time on games, what's wrong with this world"

~ Said by a "90's kid" who spent most of his childhood playing video games and watching tv.

That's the one double standard I just hate:

"kids these days only waste their time on games, what's wrong with this world"

~ Said by a "90's kid" who spent most of his childhood playing video games and watching tv.
''As a kid, I always used to help my mom with the dishes, the laundry, the cooking, the cleaning (...) without her having to ask!!' -My mom.

Yeah, right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it actually can be right, because in Poland for example usually mothers were very strict back in the day, also kids some time ago didn't have that much to do, so... But I still don't know how is it supposed to motivate someone anyway.

Those who go out of their way to complain about your opinion and everything you do, then say that they hate you, and demand that you "respect" them. Well why don't they show respect instead of being intolerant and commanding others what to do / not do.

"I respect your opinion, and I hope you respect mine too" is what I think :)

yet they act like... "My opinion is better than yours, so I'm allowed to hate you and tell you what to do!"

Men should pay for the date. I hate that. If I was to go on a date to the cinema I would only feel comfortable If I paid for myself or for the both of us. Most women work nowadays so they can pay for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back