Vintage Tamagotchi Screw Questions

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaLove754

TamaTalk Supporter
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
Long story short, a few of my vintage tamagotchi's screws have become very striped over time, and I greatly need to replace them. This leads to my main question, what size (Or specification/type) of screw will I need to get to replace these screws with?

Also while I'm on the topic, a saw a few members suggest using the 4 smaller screws from an un-working connection model as replacements, although they seem almost twice as long as the originals. These would need to be cut to size, no?

I would suggest not using the four inner screws of Connections. I understand that a lot of people use these (yep, after being cut to size :) ), but examining both a vintage screw and an inner connection screw will show you that the thread patterns are different. Using connection screws will eventually strip the plastic in your vintages, rendering all screws useless, which you will notice as time goes on.

I know the connection screw is suggested a lot, but a screw of another thread pattern will strip the plastic over time. I'm sorry but this is really the only advice I have - I do not know what make of screw can be used to replace vintage tamagotchi screws, and in addition, vintage screws are JIS though this may be irrelevant (I am not familiar with the range of philips screws that exist).

At the moment I am hunting for a bunch of cheap vintages to use solely for parts, as the four inner screws of vintages can also be cut to fit (and will be the correct thread pattern!). So far these are the only substitutes I can recommend. I'd go for P1s and P2s, as I've never had trouble with soft screws/broken heads with these, and are also the easiest to find :blink:

Long story short, a few of my vintage tamagotchi's screws have become very striped over time, and I greatly need to replace them. This leads to my main question, what size (Or specification/type) of screw will I need to get to replace these screws with?
I think you will find that they are called JIS screws (not Philips) - if you can't find them in a DIY/HomeWare store, then you may find them at a Hobby & Craft shop - or ask at your local jewellers.

See this post by binary in a previous topic about a similar problem: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/182567-gen-1-screw-story-long/?p=3187413

and this post by icewolf113: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/182567-gen-1-screw-story-long/?p=3188044

Actually - it might be useful for you to read through that whole thread - there are a few nuggets of good info there.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, i had the same problem with my angelgotchi and my dad managed to get the screws out.here are some tips thatmight help:

- take it to a watch repair shop

- use JIS screwdrivers

- ask your dad to get the screws out

i hope this helps! :)

Thank you everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it! :)

With a bit of help, I was able to get the screws off, although I'm having to use one of my inactive vintage tama's screws for the meantime. -_- I'll likely take the screws into a jeweler within the next few days to see if they can help me find more suitable replacements. I'll report back for general knowledge if I find out a good replacement, although if anything else arises, I would still appreciate the info. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back