How to replace my Tamagotchi's P1 battery without any risk ?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Factory

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Dylan and this is my first post / thread on this forum so sorry if I'm not posting it in the right section.

I recently got my hands on a brand new Tamagotchi V1 still sealed on card but since It has never been opened since 1996/1997 I'm afraid the battery might have died (even though it has never been used in the past). Is there a safe way to actually replace the battery ? If yes, can someone explain to me the right way to do it ? That would be really helpful.

Here's a picture :

$T2eC16NHJHYFFkT-bzjRBSU(PvJNNQ~~60_57.JPG

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for my poor English, I'm French)

I would suggest you use a JIS screwdriver (not Phillips). Use a size #0 one because those would fit perfectly with the screws without damaging them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! First off, welcome to TamaTalk! Your English is just fine. :)

Great find! There's really nothing more to it than having the right screwdriver and maybe a little patience because it's like you said - it's mint on card and hasn't been touched in 15+ years.

Not sure about the exact screwdriver size/number but personally, I just bought one of the ones that come together with an eyeglasses maintenance kit. That should do just fine.

There are two screws that hold the battery cover closed in the back. When you're unscrewing the back, make sure to use firm pressure, as the screws could be a little tight. Also, vintage Tamagotchis are notorious for having soft screws and so they may become stripped if you're not careful.

As for the batteries, well, you always run the risk of leakage/corrosion if they haven't been replaced in years. Best to just remove them as soon as you get the unit open. If there is some leakage on the battery terminals, just use a Q-tip to remove it. If there's a bit of corrosion, baking soda paste works wonders. Just mix a bit of baking soda in water, dab a bit on the affected area (be very careful with this), wait a few minutes, then wipe off the residue with a damp cloth. Don't forget to let it dry completely before putting new batteries in.

Speaking of new batteries, your Tamagotchi will take two LR44 batteries. They're also called by different names depending on the manufacturer. Some of the common names are LR1154, AG13, A76, and 357.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to both of you for your help. I really hope the battery won't be damaged *fingers crossed*

What exactly is a Q- tip though ?

Just another quick tip: if the screws seem really stuck, try spraying some WD40 (with the small nozzle attachment) to lubricate the screws. It has saved me countless times!

Don't open it! These are much more collectable (and expensive) when unopened. Particularly first series european P1s like yours. By opening the packaging you're essentially turning it into a used one which reduces its value a lot. Used ones are still quite affordable.

It might not even work properly with new batteries. The old ones could have corrorded some contacts on the circuit board.

Don't open it! These are much more collectable (and expensive) when unopened. Particularly first series european P1s like yours. By opening the packaging you're essentially turning it into a used one which reduces its value a lot. Used ones are still quite affordable.

It might not even work properly with new batteries. The old ones could have corrorded some contacts on the circuit board.

Really ? I bought it cause I wanted to play with it to be honest. It's the same one I used to have when I was younger so it brings back a lot of memories watching it lol I still haven't found a similar used one.

Is the risk of it being damaged that high ?

I'm not sure how high the risk is. I kept my P1 in a drawer for years and I had to clean the contacts befor using it again (quite nerve wrecking). I've heard reports here of vintage Tamagotchis working fine right out of the package and other ones that were malfunctioning.

I've seen a couple of Tamagotchis with the same design as yours during the last month, so they are out there..

I'm not sure how high the risk is. I kept my P1 in a drawer for years and I had to clean the contacts befor using it again (quite nerve wrecking). I've heard reports here of vintage Tamagotchis working fine right out of the package and other ones that were malfunctioning.

I've seen a couple of Tamagotchis with the same design as yours during the last month, so they are out there..
I see, thanks for your help. If you ever find the same one (used) for sale, please let me know lol

Really ? I bought it cause I wanted to play with it to be honest. It's the same one I used to have when I was younger so it brings back a lot of memories watching it lol I still haven't found a similar used one.

Is the risk of it being damaged that high ?
The risk of your tamagotchi being damaged is not high at all. P1s and P2s rarely have the 'soft screw' issue - they should come right out with a screwdriver, so long as you apply enough pressure and unscrew slowly so as to not strip the screw.

I have bought ~40 odd vintages brand new, and only one was malfunctioning upon arrival - this wasn't too surprising, seeing as the box it came in was very damaged, suggesting the seller hadn't stored it safely. Your P1 looks to be in lovely condition, and if you bought it to play with, then maybe open it up and see how it goes :ichigotchi:

Others have mentioned corrosion. Quite often, I encounter a tiny amount of corrosion inside new tamagotchis. You can consider it normal given the age of these 1997 tamagotchis, and this is quickly removed with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip.

All the best, and welcome to Tamatalk :)

The risk of your tamagotchi being damaged is not high at all. P1s and P2s rarely have the 'soft screw' issue - they should come right out with a screwdriver, so long as you apply enough pressure and unscrew slowly so as to not strip the screw.

I have bought ~40 odd vintages brand new, and only one was malfunctioning upon arrival - this wasn't too surprising, seeing as the box it came in was very damaged, suggesting the seller hadn't stored it safely. Your P1 looks to be in lovely condition, and if you bought it to play with, then maybe open it up and see how it goes :ichigotchi:

Others have mentioned corrosion. Quite often, I encounter a tiny amount of corrosion inside new tamagotchis. You can consider it normal given the age of these 1997 tamagotchis, and this is quickly removed with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip.

All the best, and welcome to Tamatalk :)
That's good to know, it makes me feel better. Maybe I should give it a try then ? But what do people mean when they say to keep a 'good pressure' ? I'm kind of confused about that part.

That's good to know, it makes me feel better. Maybe I should give it a try then ? But what do people mean when they say to keep a 'good pressure' ? I'm kind of confused about that part.
It simply means don't put too much pressure on the screwdriver when taking the screws out. The vintage Tamagotchis have softer screws than normal, and with excessive pressure it may tend to break or strip the screw... making them unusable.

It simply means don't put too much pressure on the screwdriver when taking the screws out. The vintage Tamagotchis have softer screws than normal, and with excessive pressure it may tend to break or strip the screw... making them unusable.
Oh yeah I see, thanks once again. I'm kind of slow today lol

All those advices are going to be really helpful ! Thanks everyone.

Clear something up... What was recommended is you don't open the full package. The ones sealed like so are worth more money for selling/collecting. More so then the regular on a card English/Japanese tamagotchi ancestors.

There was also a recommendation you buy the same shell on a card, not the same container/package type because the value is much lower and ey are more common. The clock design is a favorite, but it's able to be found on a website like Ebay for a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back