Rock Bottom Beginner questions, and Purchase suggestions

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vexxice

Reaction score
When I was 7, one of my good friends had a Tamagotchi (i don't know what version). His mom got it for him, and he would constantly complain about the needy thing. The diplay was monochrome and features were limited (or at least he hadn't unlocked too many features idk). This was my first impression of Tamagotchi, it stuck with me for a while. A few years ago I ran into Tamagotchi Corner Shop 1, 2, and 3. I LOVE THOSE GAMES. They are so cute! There were so many characters, so many things to do, the world was much more defined and interesting, and it was one of the cutest things I have ever seen. Now, I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, and have gained an interest in playing one of the newer (not necessarily the newest) Tamagotchi toy/game/things. I have some questions for anyone willing to answer.

1. Are they called games or toys by the community? I will refer to them as games in these questions my apologies if that is incorrect.
  2. What game would you suggest to a begginer who wants to try one out? Please explain why you suggest that one and also note, that I am not opposed to importing.
  3. How needy are they in the game you suggest?
  4. If you suggest a Japanese import, is the game mostly pictures? Or, will I be confused by Japanese text.
  5. If you suggest a game, how much does it cost? Where is the cheapest place to buy a legitimate one?
  6. Are they backlit? I remember (or I think I remember) my friend's Tamagotchi was a little hard to see indoors.
  7. Can I dress them or can they dress themselves?
  8. How much customization does the game offer?
  9. Are the games battery hogs?
  10. How big are the games now (like dimensions, in centimeters or inches)?
  11. If you suggest a game, are there accessories needed to play the game with all the features? I ask because I have heard about "pierces", and "figures".
  12. I hear a lot of people talk about color games, yet when I look at the Bandai site it seems to only advertise monochrome games (maybe i am blind and missed the button).
  13. Why is Harptchi so CUTE?
  14. The question now is iD L, or P's?

Thank you for reading this LONG post!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's a lot of questions! I'll do my best to summarize here: I usually suggest a Version 2 Connection to beginners, as its very basic, but still has a shop, cute items, super cute characters that you don't really see anywhere else, and fun games. They are very easy to find on Ebay both used and new, and are not very expensive. If you're looking for a colour version that's also pretty beginner friendly, I suggest the +Color or the iD. The +Color is essentially a Version 2 but in colour, as its also very simple but very fun. The iD has more features, like dressing up your tama in cute accessories, and taking them to the photo studio to try on costumes and take cute photos.

None of these three are very demanding at all, the games are really only played occasionally to increase happiness and don't take long to complete. The Version 2 is in English, the two colour versions I mentioned are in Japanese but are very easy to understand, especially with the translated menus and guides available through this forum. The two colour versions are obviously a lot more expensive, but you can sometimes find good deals on them as well on Ebay.

A lot of members suggest the iD L, P's, Tama-Go, and V4.5, but these are very feature-heavy for beginners who want to get into tamagotchis for the first time.

Edit: All colour versions are backlit, all black and white versions are not. The tamagotchis that require accessories to access games, etc. are the Tama-Go and P's.

• Are they called games or toys by the community? I will refer to them as games in these questions my apologies if that is incorrect.​
I personally call them toys, tamas or v-pets, I don't think I've hear too many people call them games, though I would describe them to family members and such as "it's like a game." The most commonly used term is "tamas" (or "v-pets" if you are also referring non-tamagotchi brand virtual pets) but I think it's really just about personal preference.

• What game would you suggest to a begginer who wants to try one out? Please explain why you suggest that one and also note, that I am not opposed to importing.
Most people usually suggest a V2 or V3 as they are the earliest english versions that included gotchi points and shops and they are also still pretty simple, but if you are really interested in getting a color version I'd suggest and iD L, just prepare for using lots of guides since it's in japanese and a bit more complex.

• How needy are they? I am willing to give them attention but I am also a very busy person, and doubt that college classes would appreciate me feeding them during lectures.
It all depends on the version. The Umino and TamaOtch are constantly referred to as the most needy tamas while the TamaGo can be left alone for days sometimes without dying. You can pause tamas as needed, but it will take longer for them to evolve if you do. Another option would be to change the time so that they are asleep, and doing that would not interrupt growth time. As for the neediness of versions I've already mentioned, the V2 and V3 are a bit more needy than the iD L, but the iD L takes longer to fill up the happiness meter (snacks can be used as a short cut, though they mill make your tama's weight go up)

• If you suggest a Japanese import, is the game mostly pictures? Or, will I be confused by Japanese text.
The menus are all in japanese, but it's pretty easy to find your way around them. It's definitely easier to figure it out if you've already had experience with an english tama, but if you want to skip that step there are plenty of guides to help you out.

• If you suggest a game, how much does it cost? Where is the cheapest place to buy a legitimate one?
I buy most of my tamas on eBay, but you can find some versions cheaper on Amazon. If you are looking to buy a new iD L you can expect to pay about $50 USD. You can also find some used ones for cheaper, but they are typically not in that great of shape. You could also try the tBay section of this forum, they are typically in better condition if you buy from a collector. New V2's and V3's can range from $30 to $50, but it's not as hard to find used ones in decent condition for about $15-$25.

• Are they backlit? I remember (or I think I remember) my friend's Tamagotchi was a little hard to see indoors.
Color screened tamagotchis such as the iD L, iD, P's, and +Color are all back lit. All others are not back lit and can be a bit hard to see in dim lighting.

• Can I dress them or can they dress themselves?
On the iD L, P's, (and maybe the iD?) you can dress your tamagotchis up. They also have the option to download more clothes if you buy an IrDA USB dongle or phone with an infrared port. Speaking of downloads, you can also download extra mini-games, food, and wallpapers as well. On the V3 and a few other versions (can't remember exactly right now) there are one or 2 costumes you can buy (like a kitty costume of sorts) and if you dress up your tama in it, it will stay like that for a day and then the costum will disappear. There are also some accessories like bows or wings but they will only "model" it for a few seconds and sometimes it will disappear after.

• How much customization does the game offer?
If you buy an iD, iD L, or P's, there is a ton of customization options, especially if you decide to do downloads. There is a program you can learn to use to make your own wallpapers and clothes, or you can just choose from the ones pre-made by bandai (and there is a lot to choose from!)

• Are the games battery hogs?
Non-colored tamas usually last a pretty long time on one battery. Color-screened tamas can last around a month. All versions last less time the more often you connect with other tamas (adding downloads also shortens battery life)

• Are the current games meant to be played in short bursts, or can I spend long nights staring at the tiny screen feverishly brushing my pet/friend?
You pretty much just need to check up on them and take care of them throughout the day, but if you are really in the mood to play with it you can play mini games and save up gotchi points to buy more items. If you get a more recent version you can watch your pet go to the park (or other destinations once you unlock them) though that only lasts for about 30 seconds.

• How big are the games now (like dimensions, in centimeters or inches)?
It depends on the version, here's a size comparison photo (credit to -crayonscribbles-)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/aki_akira/SAM_1179.png

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/aki_akira/SAM_1181.png

I would assume your friend had one the same size as one of the first two. the third one is the size of the color tamas. the last one is a tama-go, the bulkiest tama (not including dekas and such)

• If you suggest a game, are there accessories needed to play the game with all the features? I ask because I have heard about "pierces", and "figures".
Peirces only apply to the P's and figures only apply to the tama-go. The tama-go is a version where you'd probably want a good amount of figures to enjoy it. The P's is pretty fun on it's own without pierces, but I do enjoy the pierces quite a bit.

• I hear a lot of people talk about color games, yet when I look at the Bandai site it seems to only advertise monochrome games (maybe i am blind and missed the button).
The colored versions are all japanese releases only, except for the iD L which was also released in other parts of asia and australia.

• Why is Harptchi so CUTE?
idk she just is lol, but if you'd ever want to raise her, the only current way is to get 3 P's (sad, I know)

Hi so im gonna answer on your awesome questions :D

1. u can reffer to them as games but i think u should just say tama's ;)

2.I think u will enjoy the Tama-go alot! its a gray scale (monochrome) tamagotchi , its very large but i find it the most comftarble tamagotchi ,

The games are fun , but there are only 2 built in games ,But u can buy figures that give 2 new games and a special shop (there are 12 or 14 figures each one gives diffrent shops and games)

and the Tama-go can cost about 8$ in a Target i think and a figure will be about 1$-4$.

Or u can go with a v4.5 which is a great version but its a bit costy on ebay :)

3.The Tama-go ISNT NEEDY AT ALL , its very easy , but very very fun . The great thing (in my opinion , other people dont seem to like this) is that it evolves to a adult quicker

than the other tamas :)

The v4.5 is needy a bit more then the tama-go but not much much more :D

4.I dont have a color version but its all in text and its a bit complacted and i dont reccomend a japaneese version for u , maybe afte ru get the hang of a tama-go

or a v4.5 get a p's which im gonna get and it looks awesome!

5.Tama-go - 8 - 15 $ (in stores not online)

V4.5 - 29$ (used) 30-50 (new) , (only online , enless ur very lucky and u find one in a thirft shop or a store)

6.The v4.5 and the Tama-go are not , and thats not a big problem because its a very nice screen on both v4.5 and tama-go u just cant use them in the dark.

(u wont have any problems with the screen . trust me 2 of my tamagotchies are very scratched up and not back light and i can see the screen perfectly)

7.On the tama-go u can buy temporary costumes that will last for a day , and the v4.5 , im not sure about a costume for a whole day , but i think its only for a couple seconds :)

8.The v4.5 isnt that customizble but the Tama-go is the most cuztomizble tamagotchi (i mean the shell itself not the inside game)

u can make ur own faceplats and u get faceplats when u buy a figure for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjxBa-bVxPM

9.on both v4.5 and Tama-go they arent very battery hogs . u can get about a month + on a v4.5 and a bit less then a month on a tama-go

10. Here is a photo of a tama-go next to a v4.5 (the tama-go is the bigger one) https://www.google.com/search?q=tamago+comparison&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xAANU5n0B-eO4wTTsIHoAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=989#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=x8PuJDDON-EvyM%253A%3BwpTGYxlDixCXpM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fbonjourblythe.files.wordpress.com%252F2012%252F05%252Ftamago_03.jpg%253Fw%253D600%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fbonjourblythe.wordpress.com%252Ftag%252Ftamagotchi%252Fpage%252F3%252F%3B500%3B1033

11. The v4.5 doesnt , the tama-go need the figure for the best expeirence but if u have like 4 figure its really awesome with 10 games and a couple diffrent shops , WORTH IT!

12.Yes the monochrome are the usa version and the colors are in japan ;)

(i like the black and white better :p )

13. BECAUSE SHES FAB :p

Hope this helped u ! if u ever need some tamagotchi help or just wanna chat send me a message :)

well i was going to answer all your questions but i see they all got you covered hehe, for a beginner i would say if you want a color screen tama i would try either the tamagotchi plus color (tmgc+c) which is now a vintage so to speak...its cute adorable and not too over whelming, it has fun games as well hehe...or you can go with the ID which was the next out its very simplistic doesnt have ALOT going on but you can dress your tama has two games and can download more items/games onto the device...or one of my personal favorites would be the ID L its the step up from the last i mentioned..this little guy has more features, many different characters to choose from, clothing, items, pets for your pets etc...and has the download feature as well..

as for too needy i dont believe any of the new ones are needy, but if you are super busy at times (like i am because of work,school and my kids baha) there is the pause feature trick...

as for a tamagotchi that doesnt have the color screen and is much more simple, would be v4 or v4.5 still cute items, characters and jobs feature...

the tamagotchi p's is the most complex and has TONS of features accessories etc for it...it might be best to wait until you have experienced any other for this one.

other than the tamagotchi plus color hexagontchi version there isnt any heavy japanese. so i wouldnt even worry about that ^.^

Just a note though, if you want to be able to take your tama to classes with you, the Tama-Go is really not the best option. It's absolutely massive and requires figures to make it have all the features you would want, and these are bulky as well. I personally would say if you want something with more features, go with the iD L.

sakura , if he will already buy a color one , i think the p's is better. i just like the features it has :D

I am not a big fan of buying little accessories (which themselves are not cheap) to make the game complete. HOWEVER, if the Tamagotchi p is already a full experience, and the accessories just add on to it, then I might be interested. Look at Skylanders the game is only partially there, it was built with the intention of forcing me to buy it's little trinkets. Now, look at Skyrim, It too has add-ons that add cool features to the game. The difference is that with Skyrim, If I don't feel like buying the add-ons I will still have a full game. I don't know if that makes sense :huh: . Basically how is the Tamagotchi p without the piercings?

Oh, and I appreciate all the input so far, I have been listening. So far the best one for me sounds like iD L, but the p has piqued my interest.

The P's itself is chock full of already built-in features and is lots of fun on its own but as someone else has already mentioned, in order to get a few of the secret characters (including Harptchi on the P's), you need to have at least 3 P's. So if it's not a big deal for you to not get all the characters you can possibly obtain on the P's, I would go for it.

Why would I need 3 Piercings for harptchi?

Oh by the way, It has been mentioned that the Tamagotchi p is complex. What is complex about it?

Why does japan get the color ones and everyone else gets monochrome?

Why would I need 3 Piercings for harptchi?
You don't need 3 pierces to get the secret characters. You need 3 P's, as in three separate Tamagotchi P's (the Tamagotchi that utilizes these pierces is named "Tamagotchi P's"). The P's has a new 3-way (also has 4-way) connection feature (the idea is to be able to connect with your friends and be able to play 3- or 4-way with the games) and so I imagine to take full advantage of that feature, they made it so that a couple of the secret characters can only be obtained via at least the 3-way connection feature.

^To add onto that, I would like to mention that the P's has 4 secret characters. 2 of them you can require if you have 2 P's or a P's and an iD L, and you would obtain them by resetting/connecting your extra P's or iD L with the P's you want the characters on. The other 2 secret characters (one of them is Harptchi) you can only obtain by connecting the p's you want the character on with 2 other P's simultaneously.

The iD L also has 4 secret characters but you can get all of them by having any other color-screened tamagotchi to connect it with

Most people who own a P's don't bother with getting all the secret characters so don't let that deter you!

^ The only problem with not being able to obtain all the characters means that you can never fully complete the game (i.e. have all the parts of the rocket ship blueprint.) I think that the iD L is the most complete game and feature-wise without any add-ons.

^ It is unfortunate because, even if my sister wanted a P's as well, we stil couldn't get the secret characters. :( The iD L space Princess Spacy version sounds interesting as well. The P's, and iD L Princess Spacy are what I am deciding upon. I appretiate the help everyone!

P.S. I've been looking up the P's, I don't know how you can have beaten the game 100% if they are going to be releasing a few more Pierces.

^ It is unfortunate because, even if my sister wanted a P's as well, we stil couldn't get the secret characters. :( The iD L space Princess Spacy version sounds interesting as well. The P's, and iD L Princess Spacy are what I am deciding upon. I appretiate the help everyone!

P.S. I've been looking up the P's, I don't know how you can have beaten the game 100% if they are going to be releasing a few more Pierces.
Pierces are not required to "beat the game" ;)

Someone previously mentioned something about Spaceship blueprints which is what I meant by "beat the game". I don't know if it is important or does anything useful. Either way, where can I buy The Princess Spacy or P's tamas at the cheapest price (without making them in poor condition)? Ebay seemed to be consistently $50 for both of them. I don't know if that is good or not.

Someone previously mentioned something about Spaceship blueprints which is what I meant by "beat the game". I don't know if it is important or does anything useful. Either way, where can I buy The Princess Spacy or P's tamas at the cheapest price (without making them in poor condition)? Ebay seemed to be consistently $50 for both of them. I don't know if that is good or not.
Yes finishing the spaceship blueprints would be how to beat the game in a sense but pierces are not required to get all the pieces. You can get 1 piece for each built in character you raise, but that would mean that you cannot get the 4 pieces for the special characters unless you buy 2 more P's which would mean you would not be able to unlock the very last destination. It's similar for the iD L; you need another colored tama of any version in order to get the 4 secret characters in order to unlock the very last destination.

So in short, buying pierces would not help you complete the spaceship blueprints

As for the prices, $50 is about the price you'll be needing to pay. You may or may not be able to find some a few dollars cheaper on Amazon. I usually buy from ebay.

Harptchi is also raisable on the Tamagotchi Friends just so you know :)

Anyway I'd say go for the iD L, not the P's. :rolleyes:

On the iD L you can grow plants, it has more built-in characters, and is a lot easier to get used to. The P's confused the heck out of me even though it was my third color Tamagotchi, plus the methods for adjusting contrast, turning the sound on/off, and changing the time are a lot more confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back