Japanese basics to understand the Tamagotchi anime

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

Reaction score
Here are some basic words and phrases you will hear frequently in the Tamagotchi anime. This is so you can get a better understanding of the show, even though they're not really important :p

Ohayo/ohayou (sounds like o-hai-o) - As many people know, this is a greeting meaning "Good morning!"

Sayonara - Means "Good-bye"

Matane and matashita also mean "good-bye" but in a more "See you again" way.

Sumimasen - This means "sorry".

Gomen - This closely means "sorry", but in a more "excuse me" way. Other phrases you will hear are Gomen nasai and gomen ne. They all mean a similar thing.

Onegai - This means "please".

Gamba and gambaru mean "Keep at it" / "Go for it". It is used to wish someone luck or to encourage them to not give up.

Totemo - means "very" or "a lot". For example, Totemo kawaii desu basically means "It's very cute!"

Matte - This is used to mean "stop" or "wait".

Chotto - This usually means "Just a minute" or "a little bit". You may hear chotto matte which means "Wait just a minute!"

Zutto - This means all the way; the whole time; basically means "forever".

Issho - This means "together". So, zutto issho means together forever :D

Shiawase - This means happiness; good fortune; blessing. Characters tend to say it when they're in a happy situation.

Honto - This means "truth". Sometimes it is also used to mean "Really?"

Hayaku (sounds like hi-ya-ku) - This means "quickly". Characters often use it to mean "Hurry!"

Taihen - The main definition of this word is "greatly" but it can also mean "terrible" or "serious"; characters say it when there's a grave situation.

Himitsu - "secret"

Wakuwaku - Used to express excitement

Dokidoki - Used to express one's heart beating quickly, as in when a character is excited

Oishii - this means "delicious"

Watashi, boku, and uchi all refer to oneself, meaning "I" or "me".

Mo - This means "too" (as in "also").

Oh, that's all for now! I'll add more helpful stuff later and may also explain sentence structures, etc~

Strange? Racist.. you have a problem with young people learning Japanese in Australia :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I'm 14 and I know how to speak Japanese and I ain't from Australia. Everyone can learn Japanese. Even you can. Even an 8 year old can. What's wrong with that? Maybe you're the one that's weird lol. Go Hayden!

Anyways, this is pretty helpful EMF! Even though most of the TT users can't understand the sentences (i can now so happy asdfghjkl;'), with these words, they can at least get the main ideas for the conversations. Again, this is a big help and I would recommend this to all the TT users that has little to no Nihongo knowledge :D

I'd also like to add Onegashimasu, Dozo and Kudasai. They are other forms for Onegai. They are also "please" but used in a quite different way. Gamba and Gamabaru can also be said as Gambate. Though already said (indirectly), Kawaii means "cute" and Sugoi means "amazing". Watashi refers to "me", Anata means "you" and Watashitachi means "we", Anohito means "that person" and Minasan means "everyone" if that helps.

Hey, that's helpful! Now all I need to know is how to say these following words:

• The
  • a
  • and
  • or
  • is
  • they
  • are
...article words are so hard to learn, aren't they?

Oh. ouo' Apparently "I" / "me" is an archaic definition of uchi =3=; I remember a character using it in place of watashi / boku though... o.o'

Thanks for the list :D (I knew some of these words due to english subs in Onegai My Melody but now I understand them better :) )

But I thought Chotto was hey ouo' though

Words can have more than one meaning :) "Chotto" can mean hey but it's not the primary definition :D That's what's confusing about learning other languages sometimes >w< Another word that can mean "hey" is ne.

Definition of ne:

1: (sentence end) indicates emphasis, agreement, request for confirmation, etc.; is it so;
2: (Interjection) hey; come on

- https://jisho.org/

(speaking of which, Jisho is a good site to look up words)

Also note that words can be hard to decipher because of how they're pronounced. Vowels are often barely pronounced. Ashita (meaning tomorrow) sounds more like ashta and gozaimasu sounds more like gozaimas sometimes.

---

Hey, that's helpful! Now all I need to know is how to say these following words:

• The
  • a
  • and
  • or
  • is
  • they
  • are
...article words are so hard to learn, aren't they?
"The" and "a" don't exist in the Japanese language, nor do plurals.

For example, the word tomodachi (meaning "friend") in a sentence could mean friend, friends, a friend, the friend, or the friends.

To (pronounced toh instead of like the English word to) means "and" or "with" e.g. Yumemitchi to Kiraritchi.

Wa means "is" or "are" or "am". For example, Watashi wa nemutai means "I am sleepy".

I think aitsura means "they" and soretomo means "or". ouo'

Oh and to add to Supahcow's definition of minnasan, it is also frequently used in the Tamagotchi anime without the "san". For example, Arigato minna! means "Thanks everyone!"

Demo means "but" or sometimes "even so".

No indicates possessive; for example, Watashi no tomodachi wa suteki means "My friends are fantastic".

Speaking of which, suteki can mean lovely, cool, fantastic, great, etc. It is similar to the English word "awesome".

Nani mo nai means "nothing"

Iie (ee-yeh) means "no".

Nai means "nai".

Hai means "yes" or "okay".

Mochiron means "of course".

Ima means "now".

Motto means "more" / "even more".

Sorosoro means "soon".

Wakari describes understanding;

Wakarimashita means "I understand"

Wakarimasen means "I don't understand".

Wakaru means "understood".

Do Itashimashite is used to mean "That's all right" or "You're welcome" I think... :mellow:

Genki refers to well-being; energy, health, vigor, spirit.

Daijoubu means "alright/okay" or "safe". Often a character will ask, Daijoubu? which is a way of asking "Are you all right/is it okay?" and a character will reply "Daijoubu desu".

Nani means "what"

Doko means "where"

Itsu means "when"

Doshite means "how" or "why

Nande and naze mean "why".

Ippai means full.

Yasashii can mean easy but it is usually used in the anime to mean kind or affectionate.

Kowai means scary.

Baka means idiot.

Ikemen means good-looking; an attractive guy B)

Just a little extra thing, aita, aitata, and ita mean "ouch"!. :p

You sure know your language. If only if it were easier to make them into sentences.

Uh the Japanese sentence structure is very confusing =3= The subject is at the beginning of the sentence.

Here's an example sentence. This means "Where is my Tamagotchi?"

Watashi no Tamagotchi wa doko desu ka?

Let's break down the sentence.

Watashi = I / myself

No = Indicating possessive

Tamagotchi = subject of the sentence

Wa = is

Doko = where

Desu = Indicates end of sentence, can also be used as "It is"

Ka = indicates question

So...

Watashi no = My

Tamagotchi = Tamagotchi

Wa = is

Doko = where

Desu ka = end of sentence/question

Literally meaning:

My Tamagotchi is where?

In the Tamagotchi anime, sentences/phrases are often shortened. The sentence I just explained has been said in the anime like the following:

Melodytchi wa doko?

Kuchipatchi wa?

Sore wa means "that is" and Kore wa means "that is" for an object close to the speaker; more like "this is".

Time for a more complicated sentence!

Sore wa zenzen yoku nai desu. This means, "That's not good at all."

Breaking down the sentence:

Sore = That

Wa = Is

Zenzen = at all; usually used for negative "not at all"

Yoku = Yo / yoi which means good, with "ku" at the end which means uhh, I forgot how it works...but it's meant to have ku at the end in this type of sentence... or something ouo'

Nai = Not

Desu = Marking end of sentence.

So it reads as "That is (not) at all good not."

"Gamba and gambaru" in romaji doesn't use "m"; not to mention, there's no such thing as a hiragana character that implies "m". Instead, what you're looking for is "n": ん

So instead, it should be, respectively: ganba, and ganbaru

Hope that made sense.

Apparently "I" / "me" is an archaic definition of uchi =3=;
What you're thinking of is the Kansai dialect. "uchi" is a feminine first-person pronoun in that case, but in standard Japanese, it generally refers to "your house".

Ah yes, thank you for the m / n explanation XD The Japanese dictionary I use had it with the m though ;_;

Himespetchi is the only character who uses uchi in that way so that makes sense :D

what is everybody talking about in this topic omg

Anyway, thanks! It's hard to watch the anime sometimes without understanding basic words. :p

Further elaboration on the other first-person pronouns you mentioned:

Watashi - formal and gender neutral, but it generally tends to be perceived as more of a feminine pronoun in any casual occasion

Boku - informal (but generally acceptable in semi-formal occasions such as interviews) and masculine; females who are tomboys tend to use this pronoun, generally

Would also like to add that in "(first-person pronoun) no uchi", the former (i.e. the first-person pronoun) would be redundant, as by saying "uchi" in standard Japanese, you've already established that you're referring to your own house, so it's best to refrain from repeating yourself with another (but different) first-person pronoun, unless you use "ie" (also worth bearing in mind, both "uchi" and "ie" use the same exact kanji: 家) for house, which alone doesn't explicitly point out whose house you're referring to.

WHAT THE HECK XD I just noticed in one of my other posts I said that nai means "nai" FAILURE!!! I meant to say it means "not"

*sulks in corner of shame*

Here are more random words

Oyasumi - Goodnight

Fuwafuwa - Light, fluffy

Omoshiroi - Interesting, amusing

Suki (sounds like "ski" sometimes) - Love

Yume - Dream

Subarashii - Splendid, magnificent

Tanoshii - Enjoyable; fun

Ongaku - Music

Taisetsu - Important; valuable

Kimochi - Feeling; mood

Itadakimasu (I forgot how it's spelled oops) - This is what characters say when they're about to eat; it's kinda like a thank-you for the food I think. ouo'

Time for another sentence :) This one is based on something Spacytchi says. After Neenetchi sits on Akaspetchi, Akaspetchi says nothing's wrong but he acts weird (because he gets a crush on Neenetchi oops). Spacytchi says, "Honto ni daijoubu desu ka?"

Anata wa honto ni daijoubu desu ka? This means "Are you really okay?"

Anata = You

Wa = Are

Honto = Really

Ni = ...Uh... not sure about this one.... it's just some kind of indicating particle

Daijoubu = Okay

Desu = Indicating end of sentence

Ka = End of question

You are really okay?

You can correct me if I make any more mistakes; I'm very novice and I just self-teach myself every now and then~ :p

aww xD

And this might not be relevant, but have you actually delved into hiragana and katakana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back