Meloditchi or Melodytchi?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you spell her name as Meloditchi or Melodytchi?

• Meloditchi

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Melodytchi

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • I spell it as something else eue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

Reaction score
What do you call this Tamagotchi character? Click on her to go to her Tamagotchi Wikia article!

メロディっち

Melodytchi / Meloditchi

Personally, I call her Melodytchi. Her name is basically meant to be the Japanese pronunciation of the English word Melody, so I found it odd to use an i instead of y. Lovelitchi has an i but that's to keep the connection with her idol identity, Lovelin; in fact, she's called Lovelytchi on the Tama-Go since Bandai America didn't realize this. :)

Also, Melodytchi's name is "Melodytchi" (spelled in English letters) on official Japanese merchandise, just like Lovelitchi's name is spelled like it is on official Japanese merchandise. Mainly Tamamori stickers haha.

Technically, her Japanese name is "Merodeitchi" / "Melodeitchi".

But calling her anything else besides Melodytchi is like calling Necktietchi Nekutaitchi o3o;

I'd further like to add that when I see Melodytchi, I pronounce it in my head Melo DEET CHEE like it's meant to be. But when I see Melodytchi, I pronounce it in my head Melo DITCH ee for some reason XD Even though that's not how the Japanese language works. o3o;

But of course, the name does look weird with a y before the "tchi" part so I understand if you have a different opinion! :) Please tell me what you think c:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it won't be of any significance, to be honest.

ディ Japanese is "dee", using the Katakana alphabet (for foreign names/words).

The syllable "dee" is not present in the native Japanese syllables, this is why the character "de" () is paired with a small "ee" () .

Because the Japanese language only consists of 106 native sounds, they had to do tricks like that if they have to use foreign sounds.

Take note that Japanese is a phonetic language. It's more about sounds and not exactly spelling.

Therefore, anything that sounds "dee" is completely acceptable. May it be "Melodytchi", "Meloditchi", "Melodeetchi", or anything else as long as they match the Japanese reading.

Pretty much similar as how you treated the L/R interchangeability. Meloditchi/Meroditchi. Did it matter? Nope. Same goes.

Not very much of a big deal if you ask me ;)

To answer your question, I freely interchange between I and Y. They're the same in my opinion.

Oh the Japanese web site I use says it's dei ._. It's also the same site that has "gambaru" instead of "ganbaru"

I guess it's not reliable and yet it's the site I use for self-teaching Japanese ;_;

*sulks in corner*

Character-wise, it is "dei" but take note that the i ("ee") is of a smaller size, it means that it "blends" with the previous character, which is "de".

デイ = dei

ディ = di

Notice the difference?

Ganbaru/gambaru is the same... the Japanese language has a standalone N, but not M. They are as well, interchangeable like L and R.

Another example is "pencil". In Japanese it is "enpitsu" but some people pronounce it as "empitsu". No big deal.

I'll just repeat what I explained earlier :p Japanese is a phonetic language.

I often use "Meloditchi" a lot with me. But after all,Tamagotchi names always have a word combined with the "tchi" suffix attached to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back