Battery shelf life?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beargotch

Reaction score
Hi - first post on the forum.

I recently bought an original 1996/97 Tamagotchi, packaged. I haven't had chance to start it yet as I'm on night shifts (not ideal for raising a Tama haha) but I realised, the batteries (x2 CR2032's) must be ancient as far as batteries go. Will they work, not work, break my Tama? I've already ordered some spares but I'm interested.

Well, if it's never been opened, then there is the chance they may have corroded over the years...

If they're not corroded, then it should be fine.

Hmm, it'll be interesting to see but I'm not gonna open ot 'til I have the replacements in an attempt to avoid disappointment :p

I recently got two ancient tamas - an Angelgotch and a Morino, both new in box and coming with original batteries. When I pulled the battery tab they worked :) , so I think the batteries lasted this long. It might depend on your luck though, so it's good to have some spares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, thanks, that's reassuring! I really want an Angelgotch.. I had one one I was a kid along with the exact one I just bought off eBay. I'd really like a Morino or an Oceangotchi more though :l

The batteries could have leaked but it is possible that they still work. I would change them for new ones just to make sure the tama doesn't get damaged. If it is a 96/97 tama, you will need LR44 s not CR2032 s.

As long as there is no leakage (you'll know right away if there is), then they won't cause any harm. Most likely, though, they will not last long (they lose their power over time), so you might want to put fresh LR44 batteries in anyway.

I recently got an Angelgotch and Morino too! :D
Both NIB, the Morino works fine. There was a strange sound coming from it one morning but it stopped after about a minute so not sure what that was really.
With the Angelgotch there were some problems though. At first it didn't start up, then when it did it acted very strange. The screen kept going off and it kept resetting itself as well as making strange beeps which I think means the batteries aren't up to scratch any more because it just seemed to be losing power on and off. :/
So I think it can vary really.

Very often when i receive new/used vintages (odd pets as well as tamas) the contacts are 'squished' and so the toy won't power on. Take a screwdriver and put them back up if that happens :)

Very often when i receive new/used vintages (odd pets as well as tamas) the contacts are 'squished' and so the toy won't power on. Take a screwdriver and put them back up if that happens :)
I'll give it a go :)

I'm just waiting on a screwdriver, new screws and batteries being delivered so I can get into it :)

My usual one is too big :/

I'll give it a go :)

I'm just waiting on a screwdriver, new screws and batteries being delivered so I can get into it :)

My usual one is too big :/
What kind of screwdriver are you getting? Do you have a link or photo?

The thing is I can only find quite large cross screwdrivers :( . I have a small flat screwdriver but I wasn't able to unscrew the screws of my angelgotch with it, so I am afraid when the batteries run out I don't have how to open it :(

I recently got an Angelgotch and Morino too! :D Both NIB, the Morino works fine. There was a strange sound coming from it one morning but it stopped after about a minute so not sure what that was really.

With the Angelgotch there were some problems though. At first it didn't start up, then when it did it acted very strange. The screen kept going off and it kept resetting itself as well as making strange beeps which I think means the batteries aren't up to scratch any more because it just seemed to be losing power on and off. :/

So I think it can vary really.
Take a screwdriver and try to pull the connectors to the up. My Angel had exactly the same problem...

What kind of screwdriver are you getting? Do you have a link or photo?

The thing is I can only find quite large cross screwdrivers :( . I have a small flat screwdriver but I wasn't able to unscrew the screws of my angelgotch with it, so I am afraid when the batteries run out I don't have how to open it :(
I couldn't find much info on what size I needed so I've just ended buying a set of screwdrivers for glasses.that vary as I noticed the screws are about the same size as the pins in my glasses :/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221317089826?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got them from there.

Thanks Pisou2. Itsumo-nana already mentioned that. Going to give it a try when the screwdrivers get here.

A simple eyeglass repair kit does wonders. They run for $2-$5 at Walmart (and basically any other store), and they're great for Tamagotchi screws (from the tiny vintage screws to the larger, deeper Tama-Go screws).

I couldn't find much info on what size I needed so I've just ended buying a set of screwdrivers for glasses.that vary as I noticed the screws are about the same size as the pins in my glasses :/https://www.ebay.com/itm/221317089826?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got them from there.

Thanks Pisou2. Itsumo-nana already mentioned that. Going to give it a try when the screwdrivers get here.
After searching a bit more online seems size 00 is the good one, so the kit you are getting should be ok :) .

I can't find that small in shops in singapore :( , I guess I'll have to buy something online too.

After searching a bit more online seems size 00 is the good one, so the kit you are getting should be ok :) .

I can't find that small in shops in singapore :( , I guess I'll have to buy something online too.
Yeah, well I was looking at the screws and I guessed they were between 1.5mm and 2mm which are included in the set ^__^. I couldn't find any kits in the shops over here either but figured it would be worth getting online for different version tamagotchis I might get in the future too. If you're going to get one then it might be a good idea to see if you can get a set of different screws also to replace stripped ones.

I found a set like yours in a shop, but seems that size 00 is still too large for the small screws on the old tamas :(

I have an umino for which i managed to unscrew with the smallest flat screwdriver, but that was a used tama so the screws have been removed before and it was easy. However, I also have the angel and morino which came new in box, the screws never removed before, and the screws are really stuck, can't use the same screwdriver :( . I hoped the cross 00 one would work, but it's actually too big.

What did you use?

I know a JIS size 0 screwdriver should be perfect, but can't find one for sale :(

Yeah. My Tamagotchi Angel resetted itself before too just like @PoisonMookis's did. I advise to get new batteries, which you did and was smart because those batteries were in the Tamagotchi for years, and they could've corroded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back