Favorite video game soundtracks

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicBlades

Reaction score
This is a top five list of sorts for my favorite video game soundtracks. One of my favorite parts of any game is the music. To me, the music is just as important as good gameplay and tight controls.

My favorite soundtrack has got to be Donkey Kong Country 2. I don't think there's a single track in this game that I don't love. All the themes are very ambient. Even someone who has never played the game could probably listen to any stage theme and be able to guess what kind of level it is. David Wise is a genius composer.

My second favorite is EarthBound. This game's music has so much variety and character to it. The majory of the game cart's memory is dedicated to the music. I love the quirky style, which fits the game's offbeat humor perfectly.

Next is Super Mario RPG. Yoko Shimomura is another wonderful composer who has worked on the music for a lot of games I like. She manages to capture the Mario spirit and tweak it to fit the RPG genre. There's a lot of cheerful songs in this game and hearing them always makes me feel good.

My fourth pick is Mega Man X. X2 and X3 have great music too, but the original is the best in my opinion. The whole soundtrack is filled with rock music that reminds me of some of my favorite classic rock songs.

Lastly is Tetris Attack, also known as Panel de Pon in Japan. There are a few tracks in this game that I feel are just okay, but the ones I do like are amazing in my opinion. Whoever composed this game's soundtrack must have been a fan of slap bass because it's included in a lot of songs, and I happen to love the sound of slap bass.

What are some of your favorite video game soundtracks? You don't have to post a list or even give a reason why you like it. If you don't like an entire soundtrack but rather just a song or two, feel free to mention them still. Some people don't consider video game music to be "real" music. I don't see why it isn't. The soundtracks to movies and TV shows are considered real music so why not video games?

Last edited by a moderator:
My absolute favourite soundtrack would have to be for Sky Force 2014. I haven't yet posted this in the "what are you obsessed with" topic, but it's the latest video game I'm addicted to (along with Minecraft) and I LOVE the music and sounds. The game is not the same without them. It's the only game where I actually bother to turn the sound on.

The Endless Ocean soundtrack is a very close second. The music doesn't play non stop as far as I can remember, but when it does play, it's carefully picked to match the event it's accompanying, if that makes sense. A dramatic scene will have suitably dramatic music, but most of the time the music is calm and relaxing. I don't play this game anymore (I'm thinking of playing it again actually, I completed it 5 or 6 years ago so I could try again without finding it too easy) but I still remember the music, and I don't normally even have a vague memory of any music I heard that long ago.

I also quite like some of the Minecraft music, although all the calm music when you're dying/fighting/rage quitting repeatedly because you suck at the game can be very annoying. I guess it's difficult to compose music for a game where there's such a diverse range of things to do; it's not plain fighting or building or exploring, it's a bit of all of them.

However, most of the time I absolutely hate video game soundtracks and play with the sound off. Even if the music/sound is clearly a big part of the game, I find it distracting and usually I don't think it fits with the game. For most games, with the exceptions of Sky Force 2014 and Endless Ocean, I do significantly worse at the game if the sound is on. And for the aforementioned two, I do way better if the sound is on. :p

Yay! Someone else who likes Sonic games!

I don't care the direction the music in modern Sonic games took either. Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles probably have the best music out of any Genesis game. The Genesis may have had an inferior sound chip to the SNES but it could produce some great songs if used right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost any soundtrack from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

I can't wait to hear them get remastered in the upcoming remakes :D :D :D

OH MAN SUPER PAPER MARIO, ANYTHING FROM THE PAPER MARIO FRANCHISE except sticker star ew AND POKEMON BLACK AND WHITE STUFF LIKE TEAM PLASMA BATTLING (OH MAAANNN) AND N'S FINAL BATTLE AND ALSO WE CANT FORGET ANIMAL CROSSING the classics are the best

Definitely the Kingdom Hearts soundtracks. So any beautiful songs, and oh the nostalgia!

Oh, and Final Fantasy!!

TESV: Skyrim has some really great musics, the entire atmosphere wouldn't be the same without them. And, for what I remember, Morrowind was epic too :) Also I really like the soundtrack of Final Fantasy X, from the main theme to the battle music, everything was just perfect in there :)

I also think that many Need For Speed games have a very good soundtrack, appropriate to the kind of racing you are doing: they're really catchy and tend to pump you up to make you go faster and faster :) My favourites have to be NFS: Underground and NFS: Underground 2, but also NFS: Most Wanted had a very catchy soundtrack :)

And lastly, the Initial D videogames: I haven't had the chance (sadly) to play with them, I only saw some gameplay videos, but since they have the exact same soundtrack of the anime, I bet that must be awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back