Cliques/Groups of Friends?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haileymametchi

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a question: What types of cliques do you see at school, and how do you make your own? After watching Mean Girls, it kinda inspired me to make my own "clique" with my group of friends. Not a mean/snobby clique, just a nice one.

Meh, well forget this whole clique idea....

But what types of cliques have you seen?

We don't have cliques in Australia because we have to wear uniforms it is not evident what group is what i think that's also the reason we have school uniforms I guess you have the usual nerdy kids and popular kids but it's not 100% (at my school at least ) who is distinctly fit into what plus a lot of kids (like me) fit in with a range of everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at my school there are 3 identifiable cliques/groups of friends in my class: "normal" girls, into boys and selfies and fashion, who are generally really annoying and have a tendency to treat everyone who doesn't have Snapchat like they're about 3 years old. Then there's what people would probably call the "geeks/nerds", who actually aren't much like "geeks/nerds" that's just the best way to describe them. They're smart and do well at school and they like reading, but they also do social networking and stuff, just not as much as the "normal" girls. Finally there's the weird people, which is the group I'm in. We are all gamers and don't like mainstream music, don't have social network accounts, and spend our lunch times sitting in a tree and yelling random words at anyone who comes near us.

Nobody in my class is more popular than anyone else; people are generally happy with the group they're in. We do have 2 "mean girls", who fit that stereotype perfectly, but fortunately everyone hates them and they're the most UNpopular people. There's not a particular group everyone wants to be in, as I said everyone's happy with theirs. :D

That post was too long yay. :p

Well, at my school there are 3 identifiable cliques/groups of friends in my class: "normal" girls, into boys and selfies and fashion, who are generally really annoying and have a tendency to treat everyone who doesn't have Snapchat like they're about 3 years old. Then there's what people would probably call the "geeks/nerds", who actually aren't much like "geeks/nerds" that's just the best way to describe them. They're smart and do well at school and they like reading, but they also do social networking and stuff, just not as much as the "normal" girls. Finally there's the weird people, which is the group I'm in. We are all gamers and don't like mainstream music, don't have social network accounts, and spend our lunch times sitting in a tree and yelling random words at anyone who comes near us.Nobody in my class is more popular than anyone else; people are generally happy with the group they're in. We do have 2 "mean girls", who fit that stereotype perfectly, but fortunately everyone hates them and they're the most UNpopular people. There's not a particular group everyone wants to be in, as I said everyone's happy with theirs. :D

That post was too long yay. :p

That reminds me of some of the girls I hang with sometimes they are just like that WERID haha the group of girls at my school I hang with and the group f nerdy boys merged into one group of people in year 10 but now I really dislike most of the people in the bunch and don't really have anything in common with them the guy group just tick me off now. Meh highschool is highschool anything you do and any reputation you have there means nothing when you finish school.

Yeah our school is immensely cliquey.

WARNING: IMMENSE GENERALIZATIONS AND OVERSIMPLIFICATIONS FOLLOW

We have:

Hicks (drive ugly pickup trucks and remove the mufflers, chew tobacco, act stupid, wear Wrangler jeans and ridiculous t-shirts that promote either gun ownership or sketchy local businesses)

"Normal" people (care about clothing/makeup, drink, smoke weed, go to parties, take regular classes, post "date or pass"/reputation crap on Facebook)

Jocks [often part of "normal" people] (passionately play school sports, are quite well-known among the school, often feel a strong connection to their school due to their participation in usually football or maybe soccer)

Wannabe goths (dye their hair strange colors, do too many drugs, fail a ton of classes)

"Nerds" (the people I used to hang out with; call themselves nerds but aren't actually nerds, take honors/AP classes, are really close friends with one another, have small parties together, sometimes drink/smoke weed, use a lot of social media but don't normally participate in the reputation aspect, are most likely going to do important things with their lives)

Actual nerds (spend so much time learning about differential calculus or whatever unusual passion that they forget to change their shirt in the morning)

Other (I'd classify myself as this; don't really do much with people from school, don't feel any particular connection to their school environment, etc. OR intermingle with people from various other groups)

I could blather much longer about this, but I feel as though it would bore you.

Despite the cliquiness, the groups really do overlap and, thankfully, people are usually friends with people outside their friend groups as well.

AT my school we dont really have stereotypes well at least in my class

We have what I jokingly refer to as the 'Year 8 Social Hierarchy' ;w;. But we don't really have 'cliques' as such. I say our year has five levels of popularity.

Super Popular

Popular

Average

Disliked

Stay Away From At All Costs

I'd say my friendship group drifts between Average and Disliked. Generally the people in Average are okay to us, but the Populars and Super Populars are pretty mean sometimes >n<.

I'm not going to criticize people for what they like either, there isn't anything inherently wrong with taking selfies and enjoying socializing *rolls eyes*.

Jocks, nerds, "preps", the populars, the rednecks, goths, scene people, choir nerds, band nerds, regulars, there's many more too.. My school is FULL of various groups, most of which usually aren't very accepting. Woo.

the ones i can easily spot are the loud tumblr nerds, for lack of a better word, the populars who know like 600 people, and the group of guys that are just in their own little world and probably play guitar

there are a few kinds of identifiable people for me.

Me

People I like having around me

People I dislike having around me

People I'm neutral to.

Family (Cousins, siblings, etc.)

I tend to ignore the Clique thing

Well, now that I'm out of high school etc. and done with college my perspective might be a little different than it was about 4 years ago, but I have to say that for the most part I didn't find "cliques" to be a huge factor at my high school. I think people mostly wanted to hang out with people who had similar interests, so that lead to groups of people that you could see like "Oh most of the kids in that group are in marching band" or "they all take art together" etc. but I don't think anyone was really wanting to exclude people or fit a really narrow stereotype. Now that most of my friends are working/in college, it's easier to see that they weren't trying to like "be the 'art kids'" but that they just bonded over a mutual interest. I don't know, I'm sure everyone's experience is different but I think it's worth it to give everyone a chance if they want to be part of your group for projects or something. You'd be surprised who you might have something in common with ! :)

Cliques are typically a tight knit group of friends that don't exactly let others into their friendship grouping because of so many inside jokes and things that just only make sense with those people in the group.

Cliques aren't exactly a good thing, kids. They make the awkward and new people feel left out and unwanted.

Clearly I've seen plenty of cliques, not stereotyped, but just so many tight friendship groups that you really can't fit into since they're already so close.

At my high school, there was a clique of redheaded girls. They thought they were better than everyone else. They even had T-shirts made with their names on them. I was never part of a clique in school. I always thought they were kind of silly.

Cliques are typically a tight knit group of friends that don't exactly let others into their friendship grouping because of so many inside jokes and things that just only make sense with those people in the group.

Cliques aren't exactly a good thing, kids. They make the awkward and new people feel left out and unwanted.

Clearly I've seen plenty of cliques, not stereotyped, but just so many tight friendship groups that you really can't fit into since they're already so close.
That's true, and with that definition of cliques I would say there were definitely groups like that at my high school. Sometimes it didn't even seem intentional but it did make people feel excluded. I had a math class once where we had to sit at "group tables" of 4 and had group work for almost the whole class period, and I didn't know anyone in that class and got seated with a group of 3 others who all knew eachother and were in the same friend group. It would get really awkward when they would talk about plans or things they did on the weekend together where I obviously wasn't invited so I was even further excluded by not even being able to join the conversation with them...and I was sitting right there! So yeah, I don't even think they did it on purpose but it made my whole year of math very uncomfortable. :/

Honestly, I find it difficult to keep a good friend for over a year. All the friends I've had in the past assumed I was naïve and could be taken advantage of, so they literally ditched me. Now, I have a group of true friends, and we hang out as a group of 3. It's easy to trust people, but they have to prove their trust over time to be welcomed in my group.

Reactions: Box
generalizations are gr8

At our school, the same people sit in the same places with the same people--nothing unusual here

some group will have instruments, another'll play Magic, another couple bring handhelds

people sit all over. most of the bigger cliques stay in the lunchroom

there's usually some all-white/all-black tables

--

edit: oh, right, me

I have a group of friends I talk to more than others, but I never formed/joined a clique, as (a) we're not all of the same class, and (b ) my friends would likely spend a lot of time arguing with each other

besides, the notion of forming a clique is silly to me; it doesn't leave a whole lot of room open for, uh, free socialization. *turns into captain obvious* individuals interact more with others inside a clique than outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back