- - - - -

Why don't people like to read?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• kyuu user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:16 PM ( #35 )

I love reading, but often if it's only on my own terms. I'm sure I'd have loved certain books better if it wasn't an assignment to do so, but reading books is definitely something I love to do. I went to a local bookstore earlier today and oH MY LORD I FORGOT THE EXCITEMENT IN BROWSING HNGNNGNNGNNGNGNGNN

• Fluffy Space Princess likes this

Fluffy Space Princess

• fluffy-space-princess user photo

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:23 AM ( #36 )

I'm a periodic kinda reader, like I'll go without reading for two months, and then go on a ten book reading spree for two weeks. It really depends on how good the book is for me :))

Most of the people who I've asked why they don't like to read say because "it's just full of words" and "boring" and these people usually opt for those with pictures or like short romantic ones that are very thin. Some just don't show interest in books at all or read a certain genre and that's perfectly fine. I mean, everyone has their own preference. As for me, I think they're missing out. Reading is great because it's an escape. Sad? Read. Happy? Read. Bored? Read. It takes you places inside your own mind and makes your imagination go crazyyy. And for those with eyesight problems, there's audiobooks (they should really make more of those stuffff)! There are so many good books out there! Go read one(!!!)

• pauly user photo

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:31 AM ( #37 )

I remember reading this, "How Teachers Make Children Hate Reading" by John Holt. It was in the Norton Reader.

• magicboa and Awkwardo like this

• awkwardo user photo

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:21 AM ( #38 )

I remember reading this, "How Teachers Make Children Hate Reading" by John Holt. It was in the Norton Reader.

Every teacher should read that article.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

• eternal-mametchi-fan user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:36 AM ( #39 )

Another thing: Aside from not wanting to read books, people also don't like reading forum posts, articles, etc that are more than a few sentences long. On other forums and sites I always see people say stuff like "Too long, didn't read" when the thing wasn't long at all.

• rarach user photo

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:19 AM ( #40 )

I feel like with all the technological advancements we have in video games, movie special effects, etc, people are more likely to go to the easy and quick entertainment than to reading. I know many people prefer watching movies based on books than reading the books themselves. I think society as a whole adores quick fixes and the easy way of doing things, which unfortunately leaves things like reading books and writing letters at a disadvantage. Facebook is the main form of communication, and anything that isn't quick & requires effort is tossed aside. Maybe not everyone is like this, but I have been seeing it more and more.

But I also think with reading specifically, it also depends on the person.

• kissa user photo

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:55 AM ( #41 )

I used to be an avid reader. I would everything and anything I could get my hands on. It was an escape from really difficult times. 

Like, I would read stuff like sociology books (as soon as I was able to read), Homer (when I was seven), Tolkien (middle school), but as I got older, I started using the internet more, and I started to not "have time" to read.

I started to realise as well, that I couldn't see as well, and that I couldn't focus as well (I wear glasses and have ADHD). 

I haven't read anything in ages, though I plan to read a book for a feminist reading group I joined soon.

I do find it so amusing that I read the Odyssey when I was seven, but couldn't finish the Illiad in high school. xD 

• Pauly likes this