Anyone here excited for Tamagotchi Friends?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think it's needless to argue that Tamagotchi's return to America/Canada is thrilling, but actual excitement over Tamagotchi Friends has followed up with mixed results. I've read numerous reviews stating people's disappointment in the product, complaining about it's dullness in comparison to the Japanese models and even the previous English models (ex. the lack of items and add-ons).

I am experiencing mixed emotions about this. The shell designs and new characters are really exciting for the US, but the lack of technological advancement (save for perhaps the NFC connection), colored screen, new items, etc. make me worry. Of course I'd be happy for anyone to prove me wrong, since I haven't done too much research on the product itself. But what I have seen/read makes me a concerned. Below are some of the reasons why, and these are only my personal opinions. Don't feel compelled to read them, because my opinion isn't the topic of this thread. I genuinely want to know how everyone else feels.

• Obviously, Bandai is trying to make a return to the Western market - I don't know how many people expected this, but I definitely didn't. Given the popularity of Tamagotchis in the past, it's not surprising that they're giving it another go. However, given the drastic decline over the past few years, I believe that they are releasing Tamagotchi Friends to test the market.
  • This is further supported by the fact that the Tamagotchi Friends has the same body as the iD L, no color screen, similar set of characters to an existing tamagotchi (P's, if I recall correctly) and limited features (such as no downloadable items). This implies that Bandai isn't putting too much effort into creating a product that will blow away the Western market. They're depending on the fact that the name "Tamagotchi" returning on its own will create appeal, and by the looks of things in the UK it has already. However, the number of units sold does not correspond to success in the long-run. It's about the appeal of the product and how addictive it is (how long people will play with it).
  • The form and functions of Tamagotchi Friends is simplistic and even 'basic'. Maybe Bandai is trying to appeal to a younger audience, or maybe they're seeing if people are still attracted to the core concept of Tamagotchi. That's why they haven't gone out and splurged with a color screen, many add-ons, etc. because given the diminished popularity of Tamagotchis in the U.S. they are not sure if creating a device that is more expensive than any other Western Tamagotchi previously released will be cost-effective. A good example is the Tama-Go, which had character figures that acted similarly to Deco Pierces. Many complained that they shouldn't have to pay for what should already come in the system, like games and items, and thus the appeal of this isn't as strong as it is in Japan. Also, the Tama-Go didn't make the market rebound either.
  • Bandai is playing it safe, but it may be exactly this that stops them from "reconquering" the Western market. I don't know about everyone else, but people I have heard from and myself feel that the U.S. needs something new in the world of Tamagotchi - why couldn't Bandai release a simpler version of the iD L? I can imagine that a colored screen (amongst other things, like new stores or locations) would be a much better selling point in itself than simply the name "Tamagotchi" reappearing. It's needless to say that simply by comparing the new Tamagotchi Friends to older models, we see that it's lacking (and even falling behind) in some departments. It appears as if Tamagotchi has taken a large step back, but hopefully the new Dream Town will save that.
Maybe I'm not giving Bandai enough credit, but I'm simply writing what has been on my mind. Regardless of the outcome, I still will be purchasing a Tamagotchi Friends simply because I love Tamagotchi. I just can't promise that it will be for my personal enjoyment instead of my collection alone.

Edit: Found a post on Tumblr where someone had the Tamagotchi Friends modded to have a backlight. This definitely helps with the visibility issue! By the looks of the photos, it seems like 4 LEDs were used instead of an actual backlight. Regardless, I've contacted Gotchiworld asking if they can provide any further information. If possible, I'd like to write a short tutorial on performing this modification on your own. I think it'll be helpful!

Edit 2: It turns out that MstrBlinky from Tama-Zone, the same person who created the English patch for the Tamagotchi P's, performed the backlight mod. The thread can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was one of the reclutant about the novelty of TF, and after owning it after a week i can say i'm happy with it, but sadly it's not great for massive success. This was the occasion for a US/EU colored tamagotchi for the mainstream and a new hit in the Tamagotchi History. I love b/w tamas (my fav are connections), but i hope to see a Friends V2 with better screen quality soon.

I was one of the reclutant about the novelty of TF, and after owning it after a week i can say i'm happy with it, but sadly it's not great for massive success. This was the occasion for a US/EU colored tamagotchi for the mainstream and a new hit in the Tamagotchi History. I love b/w tamas (my fav are connections), but i hope to see a Friends V2 with better screen quality soon.
I agree, I can't help but feel like Bandai missed a great opportunity here.

I'm not sure if this was posted on TamaTalk, but Gotchiworld had someone install a backlight in her Tamagotchi Friends. I messaged her asking what went into the process, hopefully she'll be able to point me in the right direction. A lot of the negative reviews have mentioned low visibility, and a simple mod like this one can be a great fix.

Also, there is some suspicion that the delay in release is because Bandai wants to fix the screen in the American versions. Obviously I don't know if there's any validity to that, but I sure hope so!

I WAS excited and planning to buy a Tamagotchi Friends, but I came across a TMGC+C for the same price, and I decided to buy that one, think I don't regret right now, color screens are really amazing~

I wouldn't say the Tamagotchi Friends looks too bad, but by all the complaints about the screen, the lack of features, and that most female characters in it are crap to me, I don't think it's worth the price so I wouldn't buy it...

Why would I pay 25 pounds for a TF when I can easilly get a full color iD L or P's for the same price?

So, I think the TF is okay, but I wouldn't pay more than 15 pounds or less for it, because its not worth it's price~

*edited because of bad spelling lol*

I WAS excited and planning to buy a Tamagotchi Friends, but I came across a TMGC+C for the same price, and I decided to buy that one, think I don't regret right now, color screens are really amazing~

I wouldn't say the Tamagotchi Friends looks too bad, but by all the complaints about the screen, the lack of features, and that most female characters in it are crap to me, I don't think it's worth the price so I wouldn't buy it...

Why would I pay 25 pounds for a TF when I can easilly get a full color iD L or P's for the same price?

So, I think the TF is okay, but I wouldn't pay more than 15 pounds or less for it, because its not worth it's price~

*edited because of bad spelling lol*
Ah, I remember buying a TMGC+C a few years ago! I have no idea where it is now, though.... Those are only in Japanese, right?

Also it's remarkable how cheap you can find a P's for now. There are a number of them going for around $35 on Amazon, which is considerably less than what I paid for mine!

I'm super excited for the release of the new Tamagotchi Friends shells and figures. :) I already own two Tamagotchi Friends and they're my favorite version of all time, they have just enough features without being too boring or too complex. :D I'm much more excited than I was for the P's and am for the 4U.

I'm super excited for the release of the new Tamagotchi Friends shells and figures. :) I already own two Tamagotchi Friends and they're my favorite version of all time, they have just enough features without being too boring or too complex. :D I'm much more excited than I was for the P's and am for the 4U.
This is really fantastic to hear, it's definitely reassuring. :D I think that the simplicity of the Friends might be a good thing for me, especially since I have such a busy schedule, despite the fact that it's viewed as a negative point. The shell designs are really cute as well. What do the figures do exactly?

Ah, I remember buying a TMGC+C a few years ago! I have no idea where it is now, though.... Those are only in Japanese, right?

Also it's remarkable how cheap you can find a P's for now. There are a number of them going for around $35 on Amazon, which is considerably less than what I paid for mine!
Yeah, is the first japanese color tama, I wish they released it in english too D:

But anyway, I was worried that being japanese would give me problems, but it's so simple and fun that is not a problem at all~~

And it's so cute that is really hard not to love it, it's simple but full of life, so is perfect to keep me company while I work since it's not really needy either :wub:

The TF is also really simple, but I heard the screen makes it feel lifeless, and that's something I don't like because I love looking at my tama when I feel lonely :(

And yes, the price of most color tamas is really cheap right now, you can get iD Ls and P's for 20-25 pounds, and special versions like the 15th and the Pricess Spacy for only 35, it's funny how color tamas are much cheaper than BW ones in the end :)

Yeah, is the first japanese color tama, I wish they released it in english too D:

But anyway, I was worried that being japanese would give me problems, but it's so simple and fun that is not a problem at all~~

And it's so cute that is really hard not to love it, it's simple but full of life, so is perfect to keep me company while I work since it's not really needy either :wub:

The TF is also really simple, but I heard the screen makes it feel lifeless, and that's something I don't like because I love looking at my tama when I feel lonely :(

And yes, the price of most color tamas is really cheap right now, you can get iD Ls and P's for 20-25 pounds, and special versions like the 15th and the Pricess Spacy for only 35, it's funny how color tamas are much cheaper than BW ones in the end :)
Yes, I suppose the price is closely related to the novelty factor. :p

I was thinking that to fix the "lifelessness" of the screen one could add colored LEDs. Ex. a warm tone LED to serve as both a backlight and to make the screen look more alive, or maybe a light pink or light blue LED for people who like that kind of stuff.

The simplicity and the basic care in it is one of my fav pro's points :)

I am excited for the Tamagotchi Friends because...

-It's the first version released outside of Japan since the TamaGo.

-No online ordering will be necessary to get one.

-The gameplay seems to be simple compared to the more recent releases. Almost on the same simplicity level as the V1 to V3 connections.

However, Bandai America needs to give a concrete answer on a release timeframe for the US and Canada, as there are too many conflicting reports in that regard right now. I'm hoping the August release is still on, because they won't sell if they send them out in September - as I've said before, the target audience will be in school by then and most schools don't like Tamagotchis at all. That's a well known fact. Still, fingers crossed. :)

Well hope the US folk like it better than UK peeps, I'm from the UK and was disappointed with it, mostly the screen, very much like the TamaGo but TF's screen has a lip all the around which casts a shadow even more and can only see mine if in direct light so sadly mine is hardly running and sits at bottom of my collection box.

Woah, I totally need that backlight mod! I live in the US, but I've already ordered mine from Europe, I've had it for a pretty good while now.

Of course I'm excited!

How could I not be excited about my favorite tama's first English apperance? ^_^ (Spacytchi!)

My thoughts with the Tamagotchi Friends is basically the same "Tamagotchi" as with all the others I seen. Of course, it's supposed to be appealing to kids so I probably don't know how that would appeal to an adult like me (Even though I'm supposed to have an interest in kawaii and Tamagotchi). Gameplay looks the same. It's the same Tamagotchi growth, games, shopping, exploring, but there is the new jewel collection feature. Sounds interesting. But the question I'd like to ask is: How would that appeal to kids? It's a intermediate hobby for grown ups, if you ask me. And I don't think kids might understand that.

For my thoughts at marketing appeal, it's just gonna give all us cult Tamagotchi fan some hope that Bandai still cares about us. And for those who yet to experience Tamagotchi? The TF would only But what is kinda new to me is that Bandai actually released merchandise of Tamagotchi. If I could remember hard enough, I don't think Bandai ever did this kind of marketing to us. But, at least I can enjoy the figurines.

Overall, I'm only content of our recent Tamagotchi product overseas. Still however, ain't used to Virtual Pets or owning a real pet, though. I might as well do it for collection and maybe, play it in the future when I find my younger self on the inside.

I wonder when it's actually coming out. I remember hearing somewhere that it was coming out today (August 5th), but unfortunately that isn't the case... I was really hoping to get one before I left for vacation!

I like the fact it's not a color screen, keeping to the oldschool ways... That being said, as I've mentioned in another post I do not like how the packaging and logo are so girly!!! Wth bandai!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back