What did I just buy?! Strange tamagotchi casing.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GotchiGuardian

Reaction score
Okay so I haven't bought a tamagotchi in ages. (That's not strictly true, I bought a Princess Spacy IDL not too long ago...)

Okay so I haven't bought a Connection Tamagotchi in ages.

So I was on ebay UK and was looking at some listings, and I came across this thing:

2d1ajd.jpg

Weird? It was described as a Version 2. The screen looks small, but if the cardboard background behind it is the same size as average V2s, the shell must be bigger... Perhaps? My guess was maybe a Deka, but I'm not even sure Bandai did Dekas like this. I've never seen anything like it.

My second guess was "Omigosh fake tama", but then the seller posted this picture, and I'm sure it looks legit enough if it says "© Bandai Wiz 2004" on it.

30rv143.jpg

Well, I won it, anyway. It looks kinda coolish, and the seller's listing was right - it will look kind of good in my collection.

So what do you guys think? Ever seen this thing around before? I googled it and looked at funny tama shells but I didn't find anything. Then again, and I've said this before, my searching skills aren't very.... Unlimited.

Humm. Could it be one of those "in a store" specials? Like a gold edition is limited. Strange. The characters remind me of pthers I have seen on a tama... Maybe a fake, maybe real. No idea. The back does look right. Its possible it has the same size back like some of the other fakes do. Although, it would be hard to say just buy looking at the pictures.

Yeah. I'd be really surprised if it was a fake. I have a V2 with that exact background. If it was fake would the fake-makers really go to that much trouble to make an identical-looking Bandai background and Bandai copyright writing? Hmmmyhmm.

And yes - those two bird thingies at the top look like ones from a well-known fake that's been hovering over the tamagotchi market... Weirddd.

Ah, if only I could understand what those Japanese characters mean on the back of the tamagotchi. Maybe that would give us some more clues! :(

I was thinking the same thing: maybe the back was swapped with a real Tama. I've never seen one like it, and it looks interesting. I think you'll have to wait til it arrives and you can play it. That will tell the story.

It's actually not that uncommon for fakes to have the same backgrounds as real Tamagotchis, though usually printed in lower quality. I've also seen fakes copy the back mold too, so it says Bandai and whatnot, though those seem to be rarer. You'll just have to play it and find out. Interesting find, either way.

https://tamagotchi.wikia.com/wiki/Counterfeit_Tamagotchi_Toys

The rim is a throw off. :(

The back says the obligatory choking hazard message. Its on everything. Can't read it to save my life, but I know it says that.
Eeeeeek, that's where I've seen it before.

Desperately trying to compare it with this fake tama:

https://tamagotchi.wikia.com/wiki/Counterfeit_Tamagotchi_Toys?file=Fake.jpg

Might be biased due to my 'ah-no-I-don't-want-it-to-be-fake!' mentality, but in the fake isn't the eye of the first bird/tamagotchi centred in the middle of the head, whereas my new tama's bird eye is slightly to the right of its head? The sticks of the bird in the fake tama also look slightlyyyyy different from mine?

Maybe I'm grasping at loose ends here.

Sighs, if only shipping was instant... Then all this excitement wouldn't have to come to pass!!

Unfortunately I think you've taken a punt on a fake Tamagotchi here. The biggest indicator of this to me (besides the artwork of the two ducks at the top) is the fact that there's no cracked egg motif surrounding the screen. I'd still be interested to find out what pet it features if it does turn out to be a phony, though.

I hope it didn't set you back too much.

Unfortunately I think you've taken a punt on a fake Tamagotchi here. The biggest indicator of this to me (besides the artwork of the two ducks at the top) is the fact that there's no cracked egg motif surrounding the screen. I'd still be interested to find out what pet it features if it does turn out to be a phony, though.

I hope it didn't set you back too much.
Yep, you're probably right...

It does look rather cool, though, so if anything at least I'll have a nice little "abstract" tamagotchi to put with my collection.

Fancy that, though - if a fakey-tama company actually tried making a tamagotchi, Bandai writing, tama-background and all - why would they blow their cover by not adding the "cracked egg" motif? Strange. Surely that would be the first thing they'd make sure to include....

*waits wistfully for postman*

Yep, you're probably right...

It does look rather cool, though, so if anything at least I'll have a nice little "abstract" tamagotchi to put with my collection.

Fancy that, though - if a fakey-tama company actually tried making a tamagotchi, Bandai writing, tama-background and all - why would they blow their cover by not adding the "cracked egg" motif? Strange. Surely that would be the first thing they'd make sure to include....

*waits wistfully for postman*
It is strange that they'd go to the effort of cloning/lifting the background from a genuine 2004 Tam and mimicking the back cover, and then not bother with the front of the unit. I think such fakers are hoping that buyers either won't notice, or will be won over by other convincing aspects of the packaging (assuming that this pet originally came in a vacuum pack).

Variety is good, though. I have a Dinkie Dino and a couple of Gyaoppis in my collection just to mix things up a bit. ^_^

Its easy to take the background off. Scan it with a decent scanner. Then resizing to a printer type to print it and cut to size. Just need decent cardstock and ink to do that. Sadly.

It could be from another pet, the shell. The shell reminds me of something else but I can't put my finger on it. One of those human care ones... (like a nano baby, but the name escapes) never know. It could be neat. I wouldn't mind it as long a they are the huge pixel types. Those usually drive me nuts.

Looks odd. Be sure to tell us what it does when you get it! :D

This is a very interesting looking tama. I like the design of the casing around the screen. Even if it turns out to be fake you can maybe use the body/shell and swap out the insides with a real Tamagotchi V2? :)

The back seems exactly the same color as the device, so who knows, maybe you've made a rare discovery!

If it is fake, don't feel too bad! It can still be a fun VPet. And I've NEVER seen this one before, so it's pretty cool!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, I'm drowning in anticipation!!

If it was fake/made by JD, people would be aware of it, right?

But then if it was real people would know about it too, huh?

This is a very interesting looking tama. I like the design of the casing around the screen. Even if it turns out to be fake you can maybe use the body/shell and swap out the insides with a real Tamagotchi V2? :)
Love that idea, I'd have my very own totally unique tamagotchi. :D Think I might just try it....

The back seems exactly the same color as the device, so who knows, maybe you've made a rare discovery!

If it is fake, don't feel too bad! It can still be a fun VPet. And I've NEVER seen this one before, so it's pretty cool!!
From someone with so many tamagotchis, the fact that you've never seen it before is.... Interesting XD And yes, hopefully if it's fake it'll still be fun to try... :)

Update: IT CAME :D And really fast too, considering it was posted 2nd-class.

In case you didn't see my status: The tama screen isn't the same size as my other tamas. It's tiny. Like, really tiny. And the shell and the tama itself is the exact same size as my others.

Then the buttons are plastic and the IR port is transparent but tinted red.

Behind the back panel it looks just like a regular tamagotchi. The cross-shaped holes for sound and such. Brown motherboard circuit.

The battery compartment asks for 2 button-cell batteries.

So I went with my dad today to the supermarket and looked down the battery section for LR44s. I bought a pack of 30 assorted cell batteries with AG1-13 on them.

Then in the car I tore open the back of the packet and put in some AG13s into my tama.

Nothing happened.

If anything the back panel then couldn't fit back on!

The back plate/panel has a weird jumper-type thing attached on the inside that looks like it touches the batteries when the screw is screwed.

But anyway. I tried an AG with a smaller number, I can't remember which one. These were flatter and my tama was screwed on without a problem. But the screen still wouldn't come to life.

And now I'm beginning to panic - the seller said the tama was in "full working condition". What am I supposed to do now if it won't even turn on???!

Some of the classics had... Dumb batteries. As in. One had to be backwards and one regular. I have a few pets like this. Tres annouyment.

Is there a diagram on the inside (perhaps on the battery door) that explains how the batteries should be oriented? Some of the odd virtual pets need one battery to be oriented one way and the other oriented the opposite way in order to work (like with the Nanos).

Yeah, try putting the batteries in different ways. Maybe you'll luck out and get the right orientation. I have a My Kitten pet that has the batteries going in positive up on one, and negative up on the other. I have to remember each time I play it which one goes which way, since the device dosen't indicate which one goes which way. I hope you get it to work. I'd like to see what kind of pet it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back