Is a 4U Worth It?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYatagarasu

Reaction score
Hoo boy. Apologies for my first post. My phone decided to eat it for breakfast. HERE WE GO TAKE TWO *CLAP*

I have quite a bit of extra cash saved up from teaching piano lessons, so naturally I'm looking to add to my Tamagotchi collection. Specifically, my COLOUR Tamagotchi collection.

I looked into what new features the 4U has to offer, and I admit I'm....confused. It seems to revolve a lot around this download business, what with the "download spots" and the Android app. I don't live in Japan, so no download places, and I'm stuck with an iPhone (THAT ATE MY LAST POST THANK YOU IPHONE >.>) for the next...long while, because of accursed cell phone contracts. I would have to pay quite a bit to switch to an Android phone, so that's out of the question.

So, I need your advice, denizens of TamaTalk...are there any of you non-Android phone users outside of Japan who are having fun with the 4U nevertheless? Should I go for it, or would my money be better spent on another colour version? I'm a bit wary because of the whole "10 built-in characters!" thing. Reminds me of the Connection V1 era (and that ain't good.)

I'll quit rambling now. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for your opinions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a 4U, so I'm not sure about how fun it is. Although, I've watched videos and stuff about it, and it seems like a cool tama.

I'll probably end up waiting for the anniversary edition of the 4U to come out, though.

Thanks for attempting to make sense out of the garbled mess that came out of my phone earlier -____-

And thank you ichiro.malfoy for directing me to that topic. Time to go over it and weigh all the options XD

I'm in the same boat as you, having just switched my Galaxy Note 3 (which turned out to be compatible with the 4U app, grr!) for an iPhone, and I don't live in Japan. That said, I'm enjoying the 4U so much that I have a second one on its way :p as well as the Anniversary edition when that's released. According to what I've read, there's not a whole lot of built in content compared to previous colour Tamagotchis, but considering that my last Tamagotchi was a Connexions from years ago (got back into them with the release of the 4U), everything in the 4U is new to me, so there's enough to keep me entertained for a while.

I'm hoping that eventually, the download content will make their way out of Japan, and maybe Bandai will make an iOS app when they realise what they're missing out on.

Kiiroitori, I'm glad you're enjoying your shiny new 4U so much :) But that must be frustrating about the phone!

Hate to be a downer, but I am not holding out much hope for 4U DLC outside of Japan given that the Tamagotchi Friends was just released throughout the rest of the world. Bandai tends to like to placate us with black-and-white screen Tamagotchis :p

I'm sure a 4U is a great option for one's first colour Tamagotchi, but I already own an iD L and a P's with several Tama Deko pierces. I think the lack of built-in features on the 4U would disappoint me because I've been spoiled by the complexity of previous releases.

I do love the post-adult concept of the 4U though,

the character designs are great because they're so silly. :p

I say the 4U is not worth without downloads, all the fun in this tamagotchi is linked to the downloads and connection (even the garden changes depend on connection) so unless you have a NFC device I don't think it's worth it.

The concept is a bit the same as the iD but more moddern and customizable, but it relies too much in connection in my opinion.

If you are planning on getting a new android phone and tablet you could Get a 4U, but even then, for some reason the app is not working for lots of people anyway, so I wouldn't say it's safe to buy a 4U for now xD

I think you would rather get another colour one while you wait for Japan to fix the problems with the 4U app, or wait for a special 4U pack in the future~

I tend to agree with you, Myiko. I really hope that the dependency on downloadable content that this Tamagotchi has won't become the norm for future releases. I'd hate to miss out on all the fun as an Android-device-less Canadian.

I'm thinking I might invest in a TMGC+C to be honest. While rather simplistic as well, it holds a lot of nostalgia and charm for me what with its lineup of entirely "original" characters (the Mame-Meme-Kuchi trio, Kuromametchi, Makiko....). It reminds me of when Tamagotchi had more of a quirky, rather than girly, vibe.

I think the 4U's successor will probably have more built in content, pretty much the same happened to the iD, it has little built in features because of the downloads, but then the iD L came and is currently the tamagotchi with more built in content yet I belive, so hopefully we wil lget a 4U L sometime :p

And you should definetly get a TMGC+C! It's seriously one of the best versions ever, I got mine at the beggining of summer and I'm still running it now, that's how much I love it! It feels more alive than any other tamagotchi, and its nothing needy so its really relaxing to run it, and the games are perfect, they never get boring :wub:

It also has some old characters that only appear in colour in that version, such as Shimashimatchi and Maidtchi, and it also has oldies, and their animations are hilarious :)

Wow, that's some really high praise for the +C! :D I did a bit more reading up on it and I have to say I've pretty much made up my mind to get my hands on one somehow.

Just out of curiosity though, where did you get yours from, Myiko? I've heard that TMGC+C's can be a little more difficult to track down (and therefore, be quite a bit more expensive) than more recent colour versions.

Wow, that's some really high praise for the +C! :D I did a bit more reading up on it and I have to say I've pretty much made up my mind to get my hands on one somehow.

Just out of curiosity though, where did you get yours from, Myiko? I've heard that TMGC+C's can be a little more difficult to track down (and therefore, be quite a bit more expensive) than more recent colour versions.
I bought mine from ebay, some +C appear for okay prices sometimes, so the best you can do is check everyday, I would recomend you to get a used one, since most new ones go over $60, you shouldn't worry if the screen is sightly scratched, Colour tamas scratches are barely noticeable when the screen is on, you won't be able to see them unless you put your tamagotchi in the sun (And you won't do that because it destroys the screen... I did it to mine and now the screen looks all foggy, but I still love my +C to death :( )

Good Luck on getting one, you won't regret it :lol:

Thanks for the info Myiko! :) I kind of figured it was someplace like eBay. The first place I checked was Amazon, and, well....the prices for a +C there are rather silly >.>

One thing I really don't understand is why different shell colours fetch different prices....maybe everyone likes blue and pink or something so they're more in demand? I'm lucky in that the "cheaper" colours always seem to be my favourite :p

I actually prefer buying used over new, things tend to get scuffed up with me using them anyway because I'm very clumsy. I've dropped my P's a gajillion times, thank goodness I didn't buy it new or else I would have been quite upset with myself >.<

Now, to check eBay listings obsessively with the hopes that a good deal will pop up....XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back