Getting better in English?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitbot

Reaction score
Hi folks. If you have seen me around the forums. You may have noticed my English is bad actually super bad. I tend to use ! too much, and my grammar isn't good. How can i get better?

Any help is appericiated. (Ouch think thats spelled wrong)

There are various things you can do, but reading books is one suggestion. Reading well written books on a regular, ongoing basis is a good way to improve your English (that goes for everyone - including English speakers!)

When you're reading sentences that are well structured and grammatically correct you can't help but gradually absorb ways to express yourself with improved grammar and spelling.

Although, like most things, it does take some effort (sadly, there's no magic wand to wave or fantastical key to turn as there might be in a novel) ;)

If English is not your first language, I wouldn't worry about it! Many native english speakers are far worse with grammar than you, and using "!" all the time is not necessarily bad, unless you're trying to write an essay or something, in which case, it's not very difficult to drop it and put a period instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend and I once translated a Swedish article with the header, "Why Are Americans Fatter than Frenchmen?"

My favorite way to expand my knowledge of language and culture involves surfing the web to enjoy new silliness. Literal interpretation of language can be funny, and expose you to new perspectives. Internet memes in foreign languages can be twice as hilarious as jokes in your native tongues; jokes you only just learned to enjoy seem, to me, ten times as funny as a new joke made in English.

If you can find something fun/novel about any subject, that subject's more enjoyable; you'll want more. As you get more, you learn more.

Remember:

f744270546.png

^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your English is pretty good. :) If you like, you can ask people to kindly correct your mistakes so you can learn from them. For example, your post would be changed slightly to this:

Hi folks. If you have seen me around the forums, you may have noticed my English is bad. Actually, super bad. I tend to use ! too much, and my grammar isn't good. How can I get better?

Any help is appreciated.

If you like videogames one wonderful and entertaining way to learn English is to play games in that language. I always did that as a kid and even now I much rather playing everything in English. Also, reading books, of course. If you'd like you can talk in English with a friend who also speaks it, that way you can both practice. And last thing I did as a child to learn faster was searching everything on Google in English instead of my mother tongue, Spanish. Hopefully some of this tips can help you!

Watching TV shows in the language you're trying to learn is very, very helpful, because you learn both proper ways of speaking and local slang/informal language that way. When I was trying to learn Korean, I learned a lot of informal Korean slang that way, but I also became very familiar with common phrases and words.

I recommend reading alot of english books, articles and joining forums involving the english language :)

Also, go on YouTube and listen to english videos if you want to improve your pronounciation.

But writing vise, you can also find guides, tutorials and stuff like that I guess.

And its okay if you make mistakes and people point that out, don't take it by heart.

So to sum it up, reading books is the best method! You can probably also practice writing. Practice practice practice! Learn something new, then practice. Eventually, its going to come naturally . But lastly, learn it properly. Its important since this language is used Globally. So take your time! You may not suddenly learn it ALL in a month, but atleast you will learn it properly :)

I hope this kind of helped! (My suggestions might not be that good since I've been exposed with an english speaking environment from a young age, so I don't know whats it like)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back