The future of tamagotchi releases outside Japan? Your thoughts?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puzzledpanda

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what the future holds. Yes, the Tamagotchi Friends came out this year in North America, and last year in Europe, but now all the apps are being removed. Tamagotchi Tap and Hatch, both the Tamagotchi L.I.F.E. apps...

How well has the Tamagotchi Friends been selling, really? I know my local Toys r Us had only a handful for sale in September. They didn't even have a place on the shelf, they were at the cash register, and I have heard of the same case in other places. Yet every time I look at the tamagotchi tag on tumblr I see people happily freaking out over the "return" of tamagotchis. And also I wonder how many kids/people got the TF for Christmas.

So what do you think? Do you think enough TF's have been sold that Bandai US/UK/Europe/Asia will release another tamagotchi? Or do not enough people care about tamagotchis anymore (hence the removal of the apps, which were supposed to appeal to the masses) ?

I want at least ONE color Tamagotchi here in the U.S. I don't want to stick with a monochrome type. If they can't do it, then I'm getting a 4U off Amazon so I don't have to watch myself suffer.

Bandai U.S. needs to back away from monochrome and get into color for about a year. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the monochrome (not to offend any TF and Tamagotchi Connection fans for saying that I want color pixels instead of monochrome), but I want color pixels. Heck, Bandai Japan is being more innovative than Bandai U.S.! I mean, really! The colored versions make the Tamagotchi series stand out! Why can't the U.S., Australia and Europe have them? It's like Bandai U.S. (and others) isn't even trying! They think monochrome is good, but is it innovative? No. I just want ONE color Tamagotchi set in the U.S. for once.

Monochrome.

Bandai US will never make a colour tbh because 1, the fanbase is really small and the USA is large so they have to send units to about 300 different stores at least, and they all dont sell. 2, people think the friends are expensive, and a color will be even more expensive and only tama fans will buy it, not just people. And anyway, I like having a mix of monochrome and color ;3

I think Bandai will still release Tamagotchis in the future but the smartest choice is to stick with the monochrome ones.

Like Hayden said, colored ones will be expensive. With a diminishing fanbase, I don't think any person would go "Ooh it's colored I think that's a good reason to spend $100 with something I don't know wow!".

They could probably release a colored one when their fanbase becomes really huge again, like in the first wave of Tamagotchis where literally every kid had one. But in order to do that, they should release a cheap(in price) yet spectacular Tamagotchi. Colored ones aren't gonna be cheap so they should make monochrome Tamagotchis and fill it with features both built-in and unlockable through out the gameplay.

Maybe a monchromed iDL or P's like Tamagotchi. That'll capture everyone's hearts.

I'd love to see a color Tamagotchi overseas. But what *Hayden* and SupahCow090 said: Yes, who would play the color Tamagotchis? The fan base died off over the years around 2006 and Bandai in Japan are still dedicated keeping their franchise alive at the home origin while not spreading its culture overseas because...well it's its home of origin: Japan!

How much it costs for special materials for colorizing screens? Almost as making a flat screen TV. Lens are hard to make. Electronics are also hard to make as well. You have to do the remote accessing and give coloring to the screen. So if you put color Tamagotchis, that's just gonna push it way beyond $40 to possibly a whooping $100. That's like almost buying a Skylanders starter!!

Japan is small, which means less ground to cover. And there's even less people living there too. So that's less hustle and square miles to cover so they don't have to be spending like a billion (million?) Yen for a regional fad to spread to stores. Who would enjoy it? After all, bonuses that are only exclusive for a generation are once-in-a-lifetime. Once Tamagotchi 4U becomes succeeded, all those bonuses will never be gained for the 4U.

So, overall: Americans like video games that chews bubble gum, thanks to Ubisoft, Activision, and EA Games. And Japanese like toys, cuties, and good ol' hand-drawn animation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there's a big enough of an incentive for Bandai to push more Tamagotchi.

These are $20, $40 toys. More than 80 million have sold. Compare that to other popular toy brands.

Fun but not fair or entirely relevant comparison: something taking a lot of attention away from the smaller toys you buy at the supermarket is the iPad. One costs hundreds of dollars. Over 200 million have sold.

Pauly, I think you're on to something there. Society seems to be all about quick, easy, and multi function devices. If iPhones and iPads sell so easily at such a high price, I don't think the cost of a Tamagotchi is the sole issue. I think what it comes down to is Tamagotchis have one main function as a virtual pet, and this isn't something highly valued in our society. Social media, smart phones, and high tech devices are in high demand, and I think that Tamagotchis unfortunately can be viewed as juvenile to many adult Americans. I wish they could make a comeback, but I don't think our society and culture would embrace that. If kids are putting the PS4 and Xbox One on their wish lists, I think that alone shows what the desired "toys" are in this day and age. Definitely a shame, especially for those of us who appreciate things that are less mainstream.

I really hope that tamagotchis can come out in America and be popular. But I dont want them to be to poupular.

If tamagotchis get to famous again they might ban them from schools and then I can't play with my tamas during class.

But if the do get poupular that'd be great because so far I only have one friend with a tama at my school. I want to talk to people about my tamas!

With the fan base in the USA currently so small, I don't think there will be another tama here at all in the future, not with all the current devices that can do so much more. Even the apps failed.

With the fan base in the USA currently so small, I don't think there will be another tama here at all in the future, not with all the current devices that can do so much more. Even the apps failed.

It's very unfortunate. :(

I wonder if there's a big enough of an incentive for Bandai to push more Tamagotchi.

These are $20, $40 toys. More than 80 million have sold. Compare that to other popular toy brands.

Fun but not fair or entirely relevant comparison: something taking a lot of attention away from the smaller toys you buy at the supermarket is the iPad. One costs hundreds of dollars. Over 200 million have sold.

Pauly, I think you're on to something there. Society seems to be all about quick, easy, and multi function devices. If iPhones and iPads sell so easily at such a high price, I don't think the cost of a Tamagotchi is the sole issue. I think what it comes down to is Tamagotchis have one main function as a virtual pet, and this isn't something highly valued in our society. Social media, smart phones, and high tech devices are in high demand, and I think that Tamagotchis unfortunately can be viewed as juvenile to many adult Americans. I wish they could make a comeback, but I don't think our society and culture would embrace that. If kids are putting the PS4 and Xbox One on their wish lists, I think that alone shows what the desired "toys" are in this day and age. Definitely a shame, especially for those of us who appreciate things that are less mainstream.
You know, you're both quite right, and I've never really thought about it that way. It seems to be that way with most electronics now. Even game consoles, boast about how many other features they have, besides just playing games (playing blu-ray discs, streaming netflix, etc). And my e-reader can connect to wifi and you can directly post to facebook about the books you're reading (why you would care about doing that is beyond me, but anyway >_>). And furbies, since their comeback, connect to the app on your phone/tablet!

Although tamagotchis used to connect online as well didn't they? *sheds a tear for tamatown*

In general, people now appreciate electronics that can do a variety of things, and connect to social media. An electronic toy/device that is specialized to do one thing, even if it does it very well, isn't what people want anymore. Although I hope that's not the case. I hope there will be more tamagotchis released outside of Japan. There might still be a chance. Nostalgia is a very strong thing, and I think for some people, technology and social media has become overwhelming to the point that they might appreciate something simpler, like a tamagotchi.

Does anyone know if this forum has put together any sort of mass letter writing attempt in order to make Bandai aware that there are still enough of us in the market for new Tamas of the quality sold in Japan? I can't be the only one who lived through the initial craze and still would purchase new versions if they were available in America. So if you add those like me to newer fans, there has to be a good enough sized group to at least catch a little of Bandai's attention. Thoughts?

I'd love for them to keep making monochrome Tamagotchis but with modern characters, and make more merchandise such as plushies, more figures, etc to capture the interest of children. :)

I think there is gonna be an upcoming Tamagotchi but it's going to be monochrome. Why? Because Nazotchi (grayscale sprite) is found in the programming or whatever, and Nazotchi is usually there for when an incompatible character from a different version visits. This is why I believe Bandai America is planning more releases, but they will be grayscale.

Anyway, has everybody forgotten the release of the English iD L in Europe and Australia? THAT was a color release wasn't it? But people complained about the price. So you can either have expensive color Tamagotchis or just be happy with grayscale ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back