In need of IR port!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miau

TamaTalk Supporter
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
So I sorted through all my old phones an pdas to see if any of them would have an IR port, I thought for SURE that ONE of the 6 phones I had would have it. BUT NOPE! all of them used bluetooth only :( I came across this post here (link leads to tama-zone) but I'm not quite sure how to get my hands on any of these. I'm assuming ebay is my best bet?

~Miau :wub:

Yes! I just got myself a couple of Palm Treo 650. They were just the most attractive to me and a good price. Seemed simple enough to get stuff on there.

Download to memory card, put card on phone. I might even get them today. :)

I got an HP IPAQ, I think its called, its an older PDA unit, it has an SD card slot, wifi and blutetooth, so it should be easy enough to get the files on there. I paid like $10 for it on ebay, including shipping which is very cheap. Any PDA unit with IRDA and windows mobile will likely work as well as cell phones with IRDA. The PDA's are cheap and easy to get, and you can probably get them for $10 or under even with shipping. One thing I have is a lot of SD cards lying around, so that should be perfect. The PDA's are probably cheaper than the phones at least from what i can see, even some of the older phones on ebay were in the $25-40 range if you don't have a local source of cheap phones.

The thing with the cell phones is I am not sure if they will start up without a sim card, some do and some don't, also some don't connect to the PC, and some require specialized data cables which are different than standard USB cables. I also thought palm devices require a palm account to start up, and not all palm's have wifi, so you can't just set it up on wifi if you have no sim card (you would need cellular data in this case), but I may be overthinking myself here. So I am not sure how I would get files onto them if they don't have a way to connect to the PC (unless they had a SD card slot), in the case of most palm devices they do not connect via cable via Windows 7 operating system since there are no drivers for them since they are too old, at least this is what I came up with in my research, and I only have access to Windows 7 PC. No XP PC's around the house, but if you have an XP PC then that would be a different story. None of my PC's have bluetooth, at least as far as I know.

I also wouldn't go plugging a palm device of any kind into your main PC if its Windows 7 64 bit, I did that once, and it disabled all my USB ports on my PC, and this is a machine that costs over a thousand dollars, I had to call support for my computer and thankfully they fixed it.

Most of the older PDA's with IR have wifi, so perhaps the files can be downloaded directly onto them from the websites, I am definitely going to give that a try.

I just realized that I am really stupid, I did find the bluetooth connection on this laptop however it doesn't send a whole folder, and I have a lot of tama P files to send, so that would take a while. I was able to connect the HP IPAQ to the computer via included special cable and it downloaded the drivers and software by itself (windows 7 32bit) and I got the files on it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back