My iDL's outter shell turned yellowish color in the front

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PockyGirl

Reaction score
Not happy about this. I had it stored in its original box and barely used. My uncle lived right under my bedroom when he was alive and a smoker. The upstairs household is smoke free. Possible damage from nicotine? Has anyone else have this happen?

Well there are many ways discoloration can happen. I wouldn't account for the smoking unless he did it right under your room as a constant. Otherwise, if you have a humid room or it was in the sun... Was covered with something or next to flexible plastics. Tons of reasons.

I have had plastic that is simmilar to the tama plastic. It was next to a flexible type of plastic rubbery stuff. Discoloration. It was not bad, but somehow changed the color.

Yush. :x

I got a TeeTee kitty from Hawaii, its whole front was discolored from I was told it was on display. (but its okay cause I like pink better then red. Lol)

Hi PockyGirl,

There are quite a few factors that cause Tamagotchis to yellow. Nicotine isn't probable if the environment was smoke-free, however, many plastics will yellow simply due to UV radiation in sunlight and oxygen in the air. Direct sunlight accelerates yellowing of plastic, although over time, yellowing will still occur if the Tamagotchi isn't stored in complete darkness.

Yellowing occurs due to oxidation of chemicals present in plastic. UV radiation or heat can trigger a self-catalysed oxidation reaction, which means the reaction is likely to continue (slowly) even when Tamagotchis are stored in darkness. Some Tamagotchis seem more prone than others; I've seen mild yellowing in vintages and Connection era Tamagotchis, but it's been the worst in my 15th anniversary iDL; only in the front which is exposed to the light. There are guides on Youtube on removing yellowing from white Tamagotchi plastic, though I haven't been game to try it on purple-coloured plastic in case it bleaches.

Sadly, yellowing is an unfortunate problem with Tamagotchis, and while storage in a dark, cool place helps, there is no easy fix. :mellow:

Thank you everyone. I think it may have been caused by the heat. My room gets unbearably hot in summer. Any new tamagotchis I buy are going to be store else where from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back