Do you think books should become obsolete?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

Reaction score
I saw somebody say this on another site a few days ago...

They said they're surprised books are still being made and that they should have become obsolete (no longer made/in use/etc) long ago because we have more advanced entertainment methods like movies and the internet

I personally disagree with this idea because...

- Looking at screens all the time is not healthy

- Some people have fantastic ideas but only have the resources to make it a book instead of a fancy movie and stuff

- Books help kids learn to read and improve your vocabulary and stuff

What do you think?

If books do become obsolete they would be replaced by e-books on tablets and such

Libraries still have a steady amount of people coming in and checking out books so people are still reading printed copies. Though book stores do have a lot of toys and stuff now, who knows?

Everything will be digital one day though, whether its a good thing or not

Some technology which has been overtaken by newer tech, like pagers and beepers, have become obsolete. It's possible the same thing could happen to books. I don't think it will be in the near future, however. We still have a lot of people who enjoy buying books in print because it feels more personal to hold the book in your hands and turn the pages yourself. Libraries still run very good book programs to keep young people interested in reading print, which will help prevent future generations from throwing books out. Parents still buy books to read to their kids. As long as people keep buying and reading books, they'll still be printed. I don't think they should ever be obsolete because you really can't compare the feeling of reading a dog-eared, well-loved copy of a book to looking at a pristine screen where all stories look exactly the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. After all, there is a certain feeling and anticipation when you finally get your hands on that next book within a series. Imagine slowly turning the pages, absorbing yourself in the adventures of your favorite characters as meet every challenge that comes their way...

Oh my gosh. No. Technical take over is far enough... The people around here need more "smart products" It won't hurt them to read a book like a book should be. I still pick up a book from the book store. Ya, eventually you need to make more room for them, but its not the same reading from a tablet. Which need charging, can harm your eyes (ex when you read at night), not all tech will last forever...

I am all for helping young kids read a story, but no furthur then that. Thats what I like, Zombie Kids with a smartphone they can barely hold but know how to use. The products they had were pretty nice. Old Leap Reader and such...

Publishers might stop publishing print books many years from now; it's ever so much cheaper to make an eBook. Once the formatting of eBooks is improved a little, I think it's a matter of time before it stops being a given that every book is available in print.

Do I think all literature will become obsolete? Certainly not. There's some higher degree of entertainment you can get from reading words than from watching movies.

Do I think publishers will stop printing books? Yes, or they'll at least decrease their printing of books. It's not really economical for publishers to make so many print copies when they can sell electronic copies.

It kind of sucks to read on a tablet, but I think this goes to show that dedicated eReaders are here to stay. They have eInk screens that look just like book pages and don't cause eye strain.

I don't think books will ever become obsolete.

They don't rely on batteries or mains adapters, their system never crashes and you never need to charge them.

I use a Kindle from time to time, but personally I find books more robust and just... useable.

I don't worry about stuffing a book into a backpack mixed in with other stuff that might bend it or stain it and I like being able to quickly flick back to previous chapters or pages to check something I've read if it relates to a sub plot in the novel (for example).

As for the blind or partially sighted, even though technology has developed audio tools to "read" or replace braile it's not the same. Some ppl want to be able to use braille to read a book, not have it read for them (esp if their hearing isn't great either).

I don't worry about stuffing a book into a backpack mixed in with other stuff that might bend it or stain it...
I'm just the opposite! I'm crazy overprotective of my books but they still get murdered in my backpack (which horrifies me every time), whereas my eReader is practically indestructible with a case.

I think physical books are in danger of becoming obsolete, while e-books are doing just fine.

My opinion is that, no, books should never become obsolete! They are important artifacts of culture as well as wholesome entertainment. If any forms of paper should become obsolete, it would have to be all of the different kinds of paperwork adulthood generally requires you to fill out. In a utopian world, we would have cards that electronically keep all of that information, then giving out necessary details to places such as insurance agency and the DMV would be hassle-free. And when the world comes to an end and electronics cease to function, all of that information will no longer be important or needed anyway, but we will surely need our books.

Nope and nope. Physical copies of books have their own charm, they probably won't become obsolete, especially since they haven't already.

I think paper books are great. Plus, a magazine article said that if you read an eBook, you'll forget more stuff than if you read the paper version. And besides, if I read any eBook print for a really long time, it makes me dizzy (except for pictures).

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something about the smell of a new book and the crisp feel lf the pages which will keep them around for a while. But if we are honest, they are becoming less sustainable. I would love to see a book that was made of epaper. Where you could change the pages of a book with a slight electrical charge.

I hope not; I love books/magazines. Nothing like the feel of the paper, or the weight of it in your hands. Besides, they don't need recharging and you can always come back to read at any time-just mark your page. Ebooks are OK, but nothing like the real thing.

No, no and NO! I love books! You can't bring a digital device EVERYWHERE you go! But you can to a book! I don't think the people who said yes ever thought about the fact that once books are obsolete, soon paper will disappear, students will have to use i-pads instead of worksheets, and we won't be able to express our creativity with pen and pencil! D: :(

Books may become obsolete in the "digital age" as some call it, but they definitely shouldn't. Imagine holding a physical book. It's in your hands, you can feel the pages turn, smell the paper and glue binding, see the actual print on the page... when you're reading something on, say a Kindle, you're looking at light and holding plastic. It's two completely different experiences. Now, imagine losing your book. It's most likely gone, but you can buy another if you want to. If you lose your Kindle, that's ALL your digital books gone at once, and any lost digital media we all know is generally a pain to get back.

Books will someday stop being printed but I think no. Books take you to amazing places you will never really be able to travel to. It spreads vocab and increases imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back