Entertainment vs. collectible value

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you mostly buy a Tamagotchi for its entertainment value or collectible value?

• Entertainment value

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Collectible value

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

Reaction score
What's more important to you when buying a Tamagotchi? If it has lots of features you think you will enjoy? Or if it's a rare and valuable Tamagotchi for your collection?

Just curious :) I hope I made sense XD Basically it's asking if you'd rather get the most fun Tamagotchis even if they aren't as rare, or the most rare Tamagotchis even if they aren't as fun.

I buy a Tamagotchi for entertainment, mostly, yeah. I'll probably start buying them for a collection as I grow older - but for now I look at what's new in a Tamagotchi before buying it. I know people collect rare ones though, even if they don't have much to offer. I hope to do that one day, after I make my own money to buy them.

Oh yeah, definitely for entertainment :D If there's a Tama I know I would never play with, I wouldn't get it even if I saw it for a good price. It would just be one more thing to make clutter!

Right now I only buy for entertainment.. but when I get a job, I'm going to start serious collecting. I buy a Tama if i know I'll play it a lot and if it's under $50.

Does gathering cute shells to look at count as entertainment value? :p

I will admit that I'm a bit of both. I have unboxed my fair share of rare and limited edition Tamagotchis so that I could play with them. Early on I promised myself I wouldn't buy a bunch of Tamagotchis just to keep in their boxes, because they are toys that are meant to be played with. But over time, I have come to appreciate that Tamagotchis also have collector value, and preserving at least a few in their original packaging is important.

Luckily, with vintages, the batteries can be removed and the toy can be placed back in the packaging for safekeeping. Packaging gets a little more complicated with Connection era Tamagotchis, and so I have chosen to keep rare Connections in their boxes. But overall, I buy Tamagotchis so I can play with them :)

Does gathering cute shells to look at count as entertainment value? :p
Ok, not gonna lie, I did get a P2 with the leopard print shell just because I thought it was adorable :D I kinda want to get the leopard print Dream Town to run with it, but my bank account is fairly dry at the moment. Bills, ugh.

I'll go for entertainment. But sometimes what you don't own seems really fun and once you got it, the excitement wears down. Like for example I kept watching youtube videos about the santaclautch, but once I got it... It ain't interesting at all, I only ran it for a day and now it's collecting dust lol :x

I'll go with entertainment, but I don't think it will work out very well, unless I'm able to access ALL of the toy's features. If I can't, then It'll be likely I'll lose interest in it.

I'm like CBLS, I collect for both reasons. They started out being for entertainment, but as time went on and their worth increased, I stopped playing with them. My English iDL is a great example of this. I no longer play it. I kept its packaging, and it stays in there for always now. I bought another Japanese iDL (a Purple one, kinda beat up) to be able to connect with my other one. With the loss of TamaTown website, the full experience of the Connections is lost. I hardly play them either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd consider myself a fairly serious collector, but even then, NONE of the Tamas I buy ever end up staying in their packaging. There's a tiny virtual creature in there waiting to get out, and why would I deny myself the fun and cuteness? XP

I still use even the more valuable versions that I own (English iD L, +C, etc.), but I won't take them around town with me like I do with my TF, for example. I'm too afraid that they would get irreparably damaged jangling around in my bag, or that I would lose them on the bus!

I'm currently buying them for both, but less for collection. Collection tends to mean preserving packaging and integrity of the item - I'll be using all of mine. I'm only a student and I've been on a short income for years, so if I spend my money it's on things I want to enjoy, not to put away or display somewhere. Plus, I'm buying all things I've wanted to try years ago, but never managed to while I was young and had *no* income (or access to overseas online shopping).

It's kind of a really amazing feeling after leaving something I really loved about 15 years ago, and then re-experiencing it from brand new packaging, as well as obtain all the ones I dreamed of owning as a kid. These days, there's so much choice and frequently updating technology, I don't quite get the same wave of excitement and anticipation take over me when I get something new - but this is like reliving that experience. Something I took for granted.

Anyway, really enjoying collecting & playing them again as a side hobby :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back