Looking into buying my first Tamagotchi; had some questions.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pzrybw

Reaction score
So, I'm currently shopping around for my first Tamagotchi. I've always wanted one as a kid but am just now getting around to purchasing one. They seem so cool. I definitely want a Japanese release P1, but my concern is where to purchase one without having to worry about it being counterfeit. I'm not sure how widely bootlegged the P1s are, but from what I understand, it's a common problem with Tama Connections. Are there any online vendors, perhaps on eBay, that are known to be legit?

Also, specifically, I'd like to get the 1997 Hong Kong Collector's Edition. Has anyone ever heard of one of these being counterfeited? They also come with 'Certificates of Authenticity' and I've seen at least two examples of them having the same number (no. 12378).

Thanks!

So, I'm currently shopping around for my first Tamagotchi. I've always wanted one as a kid but am just now getting around to purchasing one. They seem so cool. I definitely want a Japanese release P1, but my concern is where to purchase one without having to worry about it being counterfeit. I'm not sure how widely bootlegged the P1s are, but from what I understand, it's a common problem with Tama Connections. Are there any online vendors, perhaps on eBay, that are known to be legit?

Also, specifically, I'd like to get the 1997 Hong Kong Collector's Edition. Has anyone ever heard of one of these being counterfeited? They also come with 'Certificates of Authenticity' and I've seen at least two examples of them having the same number (no. 12378).

Thanks!
hmm. . . you can usually tell when a tamagotchi is fake. Amazon doesn't have that many fake ones. But beware!

Fakes usually have: 4 buttons. Every real tamagotchi only have 3. Read the reviews. If someone says it is a fake, then it is. Fakes are usually priced very very cheaply. Most cost around $5. A real tamagotchi could never cost so little. Fakes have weird cases. Real tamagotchis are always shaped a bit like eggs. Fakes do not have a very good paint job.

Before you buy a tamagotchi, and you're wondering if it is a fake, take a picture or copy the website you found it on and paste it here in your status update. I'm sure an expert can decide if it a fake or not!

Good luck!

P.S. I really fun tamagotchi that's cheap is Friends DreamTown. It is in English, no colors, but lots of games, and I've never seen a fake version of that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware they have 4 BUTTONS IF THEY ARE FAKE they go to 00.1-2.80 reccomend newer ones because they have more to offer then older ones unless your a collected of course :p

And you should buy whatever tamagotchi you want I'm limeted to if they are in a close out store and stuff like that

***OST EDIT: Please use the "edit" button if you would like to make another comment (especially if it's within 24 hours of posting), rather than double-posting. Thank you!***

I always use eBay to buy Tamagotchi's. If you're worried one looks fake use Project TamaShell (they don't have every shell but most) if it's not on there then don't buy it.

Some tamas look identical, I've seen mainly V5's being identical fakes. However, with these fake V5's right above the buttons it says 'A B C'. Any other versions like that are also fakes.

As said before if it has 4 buttons it's definatly a fake.

If you buy one new in package make sure the spelling of Tamagotchi is correct. Some have been 'Tamagotcha' and 'Tahomatchi'.

You can also use Yahoo Japan or join Tamagotchi trader groups on FB. I personally feel weird about using these but a lot of people never have issues.

And I see quite a lot of 1997 Hong Kong Collector's Edition on eBay from reputable sellers. But unless you want to collect Tamagotchis I'd say don't bother getting one. If you just want one to play with get a normal P1 or P2.

I would recommend Ebay (how most of us build up the majority of our collections), as there are quite a few reliable sellers out there. Definitely keep an eye out on ratings and buyer feedback. With all the Tamagotchis especially, one of the best ways to know whether it's legit is to keep an eye out for the "Bandai" logo on the packaging, and "Bandai" is also stamped on the back of the shell as well (for the used ones without packaging). Good, communicative sellers will usually honor your requests to see more detailed pictures upon request. All in all, researching and asking questions as you go along will help a lot. Good luck! :)

I haven't run into many counterfeit tamagotchis that weren't obviously fake. I don't know specifically about the Japanese P1's, but like some other posters have already said, the newer ones are much less commonly counterfeited and are also really fun. Amazon has a good reputation for genuine tamagotchis, but Ebay and Yahoo Japan typically have better deals. Even though it's scary, with a little bit of integrity and tama knowledge you probably won't find yourself with a fake, unless the picture just flat out isn't what they send you. The best of luck to you, and I hope that you enjoy whatever tama you get!

Yahoo Japan is a good place. I'd recommend using Noppin to buy through as you can also hold items and then post a massive bundle you've collected up for much cheaper than individual tamas. Amazon is the most expensive, then Ebay, then Yahoo Japan. A lot of eBay listings are actually from Japanese sellers so they get shipped from Japan anyway.

Edit: forgot to say, thanks Eve_Requiem for reminding me about yahoo Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back