What should I get first?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inunah

Reaction score
Back when I was a kid, I had a V1 Tamagotchi. It's long gone now, but I want another one again. This time, I kind of want to collect every model there is, as well as the knockoffs like Giga Pets and the Digimon ones. However...I don't know what to start with! I know for certain that I won't be playing with any of the more expensive ones, but I'd actually like to try out and review some of the cheaper ones. I'd actually like to get the cheaper ones first. It's just...which ones?

What I want from a Tamagotchi that I'd actually play with is basically one of the models with the higher resolution screen, because I always had a hard time trying to figure out which Tama I had back when I played with the V1. It should probably be backlit, because I don't want to have to burn my retinas in the middle of the night when my Tama cries. Of course, if it's got the Gotchi Points and all that, I definitely need it in English...If it's one of the pre-GP ones then the language won't really matter, I don't think...I would kind of prefer one that didn't have GP in it, as monetary systems always end up really messing me up. In console games I'll constantly be out of money.

I'm actually kind of interested in getting the Tamagotchi Music Fever, as it's an MP3 player and stands out from the bunch, but that one doesn't really function as a Tamagotchi and doesn't connect with any to give special bonuses at all... Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've been thinking that maybe the one I start the collection with should be a normal Tamagotchi...

I know about the iDL being in English, and it would sort of fit what I want, but it's apparently super rare and expensive. That one would probably have to be a goal rather than a starting point. I do know how to tell whether not an in-package iDL is in English, though, so I can at least keep track of prices in the meantime.

Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost always recommend the Version 4 to anyone who are undecided on what tamagotchi to get. It isn't as complicated as the current tamagotchis and is similar to what you had, the Version 1, although it has lots of revamps and upgrades. The characters in this version are my favorite of all releases and the job system is fun 'cause it'll be easier to earn Gotchi Points. It has a GP system because I believe the Version 1 is the only Tamagotchi in the Connection series to not have one. Also, there are no backlit tamagotchis in the connection and vintage series as well.

If you want a higher resolution tamagotchi but no the expensive ones, the Version 5 (Familitchi) or 6 (Music Star) is the way to go, but the Music Star is a bit harder to take care of. They have a wider screen for more animation. I highly suggest the version 5 'cause it offers a different gameplay.

Of course you can never go wrong with the vintages if you want a simple tamagotchi. I find the Angelgotchi to be extremely easy to take care of and the characters are all cute. I'd stay away from the Oceangotchi if you want something easy to take care of.

Good luck to finding your next tamagotchi!

I'd stay away from the Oceangotchi if you want something easy to take care of.

Yeah, I heard Oceangotchi was kind of difficult to take care of due to the prey mechanic. Same with the Gardengotchi...I guess? From what I understand? Not that I wouldn't mind having that extra bit of challenge with the shake mechanic I've been hearing about, but I'm clumsy and Tamagotchi are fragile. I remember dropping my old one on the concrete within a week of owning it and it never worked the same since.

Of course you can never go wrong with the vintages if you want a simple tamagotchi. I find the Angelgotchi to be extremely easy to take care of and the characters are all cute.

I was actually thinking of trying out Angelgotchi, as well as Devilgotchi. Wikipedia kept mentioning all these good deeds and bad deeds features that weren't elaborated upon enough to actually understand what these features are, and I'm very intrigued by it. It's just little bonus animations, I'm guessing?

Additionally, while I was looking at Angelgotchi and Devilgotchi, I took a look at Mothragotchi too. I really like Mothra for some reason, and I keep going back to looking at that one for reasons I don't understand. However, it seems like more like a V2 with different graphics/animations, nothing special. Am I correct on that?

If you want a higher resolution tamagotchi but no the expensive ones, the Version 5 (Familitchi) or 6 (Music Star) is the way to go, but the Music Star is a bit harder to take care of. They have a wider screen for more animation. I highly suggest the version 5 'cause it offers a different gameplay.
Isn't the Familitchi about taking care of a Tama family and connecting two devices so your Tamas can have babies? I know the Connections do that, sort of, but I'm talking like...in Connection it's a semi-optional thing but in Familitchi it's the focus...I guess? All I've read about it is what Wikipedia has about it, and it's actually sort of vague on what makes it different.

The Music Star sounds to me like it would have rhythm minigames, and I'm a big fan of those, but there's no mention of any such thing...

Oh by the way...just for future reference...the Home Huge Tamagotchi. Which Tamagotchi can it connect to? Wikipedia mentions item transfer in its description of this one, but not to which model devices.

Oh by the way...just for future reference...the Home Huge Tamagotchi. Which Tamagotchi can it connect to? Wikipedia mentions item transfer in its description of this one, but not to which model devices.
The Deka Tamagotchi has two versions. Both can connect to the Tamagotchi Keitai and Tamagotchi Keitai Akai (Tamagotchi Version 3 in Japan), and the Entama and Uratama (Tamagotchi Version 4 in Japan).

You're using Wikipedia tor research? I highly suggest you use the Tamagotchi Wiki. There's more information there. Here's a link: https://tamagotchi.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I wasn't really using Wikipedia for research - just to find some names and basic info so I could get started. I was going onYoutube last night and taking a look at Tamagotchi info videos by Erica Griffin for more info, as well. Found out a bit more about a couple of things that are usually only vaguely described about certain Tamas, which is pretty nice, but most of the Tama-related videos are pretty old and there's no info on the Tamagotchi products like the Profy or rarer devices...

Thanks for the Wiki link! I honestly thought that the one I found last night was the correct, comprehensive one, but it turns out it was basically a movie Wiki...

Might it be that your first tamagotchi was a gen2 or p2, and not a v2? I'm suspecting this since you mentioned trouble with the resolution, and similarity to the mothra tamagotchi.

Tamenagerie is a good place to begin with; it lists far from all tamagotchis, but you can for a start compare the tamagotchis from the vintage era (the ones to the left except the bottom three) to the others. All the vintages of the standard size (gen1, gen2, angel, mothra, morino, devil, ocean etc) have very similar functions, mostly the game and characters being different. The connections have more differences between the different versions.

If it's right that your first tamagotchi was a vintage, I'd suggest tryng out the tamagotchi plus, or v1. It is the first and simplest of the connection series, and the only one of them without gotchi points. It has all the basic functions of the vintages, but with better resolution, two games instead of one, and a connect function. Otherwise, the mothra is not a bad option either, although the resolution is likely not better than your first one. Only the colour tamagotchis have a backlight function. They all have gp and are rather complex compared to the early tamas, but if backlight is a must I'd suggest the tamagotchi +C or the iD. They are in japanese though, but there are great guides online and you learn really quick. Besides, I've seen a few fair-priced iD's on ebay lately...

Finally, to decide what tamagotchi version to buy first, Erica Griffin's Tamagotchi Museum channel on youtube, is the best advice I can give you. She's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back