Best tamagotchi for beginners?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXInsanityXxx

Reaction score
I noticed there is different Tamagotchi versions.

Tamagotchi 4U and Tamagotchi Friends are two that I was looking at. Which would you recommend? Or would you recommend something else entirely?

I noticed there is different Tamagotchi versions.

Tamagotchi 4U and Tamagotchi Friends are two that I was looking at. Which would you recommend? Or would you recommend something else entirely?
Hmm! For a beginner, I suggest Tamagotchi Friends. They're fun, not to complicated, and not boring. I'd go with the Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town, which have even more features. I don't really like the colored ones because all of them are only in Japanese, currently, which can make it confusing (and some have too many features)!

I almost always recommend the version 4. It has a nice set of characters, nice games, a job and skill system, and isn't hard to take care of. Both of the versions you're currently looking at are beginner-friendly. I have the 4U and it's pretty fun. I like it the most out of all the colored versions cause it's simpler and isn't as "complicated" as the previous entries to the series. I don't have the Friends but I hear they're pretty easy to take care of.

You can pretty much never go wrong. Just stay away from the Music Star and the Ocean/Umino. They're pretty hard to take care of. The P1, P2, Mothra, and Morino are definitely not as hard as the two but aren't really beginner-friendly. If you're interested with the vintages, go with the Angelgotchi. It's definitely the easiest of the era.

Depends on a lot of things, really. The Tamagotchi Friends is basically a stripped version of the colour tamas produced in Japan. The screen is in grayscale, which makes it hard to see, apparently. But they're readily available and for cheap prices on any online shopping site. You'll often find them as unwanted Christmas presents on sites like Gumtree, too, as long as you don't mind them being opened.

All the colour tamagotchis are great. However, there are a few problems for a beginner: language barriers, pricing, availability, etc. The 4U is marketed towards older, busy women, and as such has features that allow you to toilet-train your tama, send it to a school or daycare, etc. This perhaps makes it the least demanding. The 4U is the newest colour tama and is fairly widely available at prices not much more than the Friends on sites like Amazon and E-bay. But if you're not familiar with tamagotchis then the menus could be hard to navigate, as there are a lot of features.

I would recommend something older, personally. Something shiny and new is great, but the old black-and-white tamas have a certain charm about them. If you're looking for something simple and easy, the V3 is your best bet, although there are no "special" features to keep you entertained long-term. The V4/.5 are my favourite tamas in the Connexion series, but they have a mail system that beeps at you rather a lot. I would also agree to staying away from the V6. As fun as it is, it's a very demanding tama that takes a lot of work.

Unfortunately, some of the older tamagotchis will cost you the same as or more (probably more) than a newer V7/8/9. It would be worth looking around on secondhand sites, provided you don't mind a second-hand tama, to see what's there. Oftentimes you find people clearing out old stock, or selling things their children once owned for low prices. I wouldn't buy anything over about 30 whatever-your-currency-is-probably-dollars.

I would recommend something older, personally. Something shiny and new is great, but the old black-and-white tamas have a certain charm about them.
I find myself nodding my head in agreement. :D

I would recommend the cheapest connection you can find or a friends.

Connection versions:

• V1 totally simple! some people like it but it can get boring
  • V2 simple but with the shop feature
  • V3 adds online connection but isn't much different from V2 since tamatown shut down :(
  • V4/4.5 BINGO! this one is my fav. ^_^ there are 5 games, a shop, mail and your tama can have a job!
  • V5 this one is right up there with the 4/4.5 it is fun, but a bit simpler since there isn't a mail/job feature. they can get very expensive unfortunately
  • V6 loved this one! it can get frustrating though because you have to play the same 3 games over to get your tama famous and what-not
I would recommend a cheap v4/4.5!

Or, Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town. https://www.amazon.com/Tamagotchi-Friends-Digital-Friend-Bubbles/dp/B0170HG26G/ref=sr_1_12?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1453845645&sr=1-12&keywords=tamagotchi This the one I got.

It has so many features! Shop, school, game, circus, yumex tv... And the pixels are so detailed! Sure, it isn't the same as a color but it's close enough for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find myself nodding my head in agreement. :D

I would recommend the cheapest connection you can find or a friends.

Connection versions:

• V1 totally simple! some people like it but it can get boring
  • V2 simple but with the shop feature
  • V3 adds online connection but isn't much different from V2 since tamatown shut down :(
  • V4/4.5 BINGO! this one is my fav. ^_^ there are 5 games, a shop, mail and your tama can have a job!
  • V5 this one is right up there with the 4/4.5 it is fun, but a bit simpler since there isn't a mail/job feature. they can get very expensive unfortunately
  • V6 loved this one! it can get frustrating though because you have to play the same 3 games over to get your tama famous and what-not
I would recommend a cheap v4/4.5!

Or, Tamagotchi Friends Dream Town. https://www.amazon.com/Tamagotchi-Friends-Digital-Friend-Bubbles/dp/B0170HG26G/ref=sr_1_12?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1453845645&sr=1-12&keywords=tamagotchi This the one I got.

It has so many features! Shop, school, game, circus, yumex tv... And the pixels are so detailed! Sure, it isn't the same as a color but it's close enough for me!
I decided to get the one you linked to, as the price isn't too high and overall I liked the features and design of it.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will be sure to keep it in mind for next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to get the one you linked to, as the price isn't too high and overall I liked the features and design of it.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will be sure to keep it in mind for next time.
Glad I could help! ^_^

Tell me how you like it! The only thing I didn't like about mine was the fact that the shell was pink (I hate pink xP). I saw the faceplate only and liked it, only to open the box to see a bright pink gleaming back. Oh well, love the animations, characters and games though! :wub:

I would have to argue that starting off with the simplest tamas first is probably the best for a beginner. Go with a vintage P1 or P2 or a V1. As you get more into tamas, you might find the older ones with their lack of features... boring. Of course, if you want to try one out before jumping into a more complex one try the app if you have a smartphone. It's a buck and you don't need to tote around another tama. If you have an Apple watch, it's supposed to be compatible. A free/fan-made option is the Koidatchi app if you have a pebble watch(needs to be side-loaded, it's not on the app store because it's still in development).

That said, the V4/4.5 are great tamas as well. I just re-bought my favorite shell from back in the hayday, and I'd recommend that if you find the lack of features in the oldest tamas to be problematic.

I would NOT recommend a Friends because it is a stripped down version of the Japanese tamas AND the screen is really hard to see in a lot of different lighting situations. I don't know about you but I really like seeing what I'm doing on my tama.

If you want something advanced, Japanese tamas are the way to go. I have a P's which is pretty rad. I'd recommend patching it to English(or commissioning someone to do so if you're not comfortable doing so) if the Japanese intimidates you. That's the biggest benefit to the P's and 4u's because you can't patch the older Japanese tamas!

Probably the Tama-go or the Tamagotchi Friends :) Very easy to use and simple to learn. the Japanese ones are easy too, but there's the language barrier as well.

I know I'm late, but in case you're ever wondering again, here's a little more advice.

I would recommend getting a Connection version. That was definitely my favorite Tamagotchi era.

Here's my two cents about each version:

V1: This one's okay for beginners. It has the smallest growth chart, smallest amount of games, and no shop or special foods or anything like that. Normally I'd say start with it, but since you already have a Tamagotchi now, I wouldn't bother.

V2: This has more growth possibilities, more items, more games, and is just generally more developed (read: fun) than the V1. Once you've gotten used to the mechanics, definitely give it a shot.

V3: Ever since TamaTown shut down (curse you BanDai give us back our TamaTown :angry: ), this is essentially the same as the V2, just with different characters. I still recommend it, though.

V4/V4.5: These two are some of my personal favorites. Definitely check them out once you're more used to everything, since it does have more mechanics than the others (like school, work, and skill points).

V5/V5.5: These are another two that I like a lot, though again, they're not really for beginners. The family bonding mechanic might be a little tough to work out at first, but you get used to it.

V6: Sadly, I wouldn't recommend this for a less experienced player. While I do like the concept, the buttons are not as responsive as they are on the others, which is really a problem on a music-based toy where a lot of things rely on rhythm and timing. :p

The Connection era is my favorite because not only were the actual versions really solid, but the style was cute and happy, but still fun and quirky.

Tl;dr: Connection is best; V4 > V2/3 > V5 > V1 > V6; bring back TamaTown; Lovetchi says "mechanics" way too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back