Ghibli movies!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not a huge fan in the regards i need to watch more of ghiblis work but i enjoy what i have seen!

last watched was howls moving castle i believe?

I'm a HUGE Studio Ghibli fan! :D

I think I've watched every single Ghibli movie out there, except the one you saw (I already own it though).

If you want some movie advice, the best Ghibli movies in my opinion are:

-Spirited Away

-Howl's moving castle

-Princess Mononoke (not so light-hearted nor too much child-friendly)

-Kiki's Delivery Service

-

More "childish":

-My Neighbour Totoro

-Ponyo on the Cliff

Last movie I watched: When Marnie was there ---> sweet, deep and visually stunning ^_^

I love their movies! To date I have seen every movie they have released. ^_^ Currently my favorite is Kiki's Delivery Service.

I believe the last one I watched was When Marine Was There? It was a wonderful film, I highly recommend it.

I'm a big fan of Ghibli. I love Nausicaa, Howls, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Princess Kaguya, Totoro and The Cat Returns. My least favourite is Princess Mononoke - cannot understand the hype. My absolute favourite is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and though it was technically produced before Ghibli was founded, Miyazaki expanded upon the film in a thrilling & beautiful manga series that is completely worth the read. I've also got a few "The Art Of" books, which detail the artwork in Ghibli movies. And the music... Ghibli sound tracks are just amazing :lol:

Hmm, I think the one I watched most recently is Porco Rosso.

I've been a fan of Ghilbli films for quite a few years.

I was originally drawn to them for the beautiful art and animation in things like Porco Rosso and Spirited Away.

(@ CBLS - I have "The Art of Spirited Away" - it's a fabulous book)

I've several favorites that I watch (fairly) regularly, depending on my mood and who else is going to watch the film with me:

Totoro, Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso (occasionally Howl's Moving Castle).

More recently I've watched From Up on Poppy Hill and The Wind Rises, both of which I really enjoy. Can't remember which of the two I watched most recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to get around to watching all of them, although I've only watched Kiki's Delivery Service and From Up on Poppy Hill.

Oh, and today I watched Howl's Moving Castle. I really like the storyline.

And I'll make a rough list of the Ghibli movies I've watched. Pompoko, The Wind Rises, The Cat Returns, The Borrower Arietty, Totoro, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Tales From Earthsea and Journey To Agartha.

My least favorite is Tales From Earthsea, as I don't understand why the prince goes out of control suddenly and doesn't believe in living to the fullest. My favourite is Howl's Moving Castle, especially at the part when Howl summons the dark spirits, turns into green gloop and his towel drops off his butt just because his hair changed colour. :p

I can see why it was your least fav: "Tales from Earthsea" is not actually by Hayao Miyazaki, but by his son Goro. This movie wasn't really appreciated by the reviewers, plus it comes from a series of book that I've read. There are five of these books and the movie is a mix of them all, mostly about the last one. But I can say for sure the story of the movie is almost completely made up and has almost nothing to do with the real book (e.g. in the book the prince is older, he doesn't know Therru so well, the enemy is not really the one depicted in the movie since it should belong to the third book (where Therru isn't even born) while Therru and the timeline showed in the movie mostly belong to the 5th book...).

I've watched Journey to Agartha, but it's not by Studio Ghibli if I'm not wrong ;)

Tales from Earthsea is an interesting film. It's not terrible, but it comes off as a lot worse then it actually is given the amazing quality of the rest of the Studio Ghibli movies. My big complaint with it is that I felt like it didn't explain the world or some of the character's motives very well. :p

Journey to Agartha isn't a Studio Ghibli film, but it does have a very similar look! ^_^

Tales from Earthsea is an interesting film. It's not terrible, but it comes off as a lot worse then it actually is given the amazing quality of the rest of the Studio Ghibli movies. My big complaint with it is that I felt like it didn't explain the world or some of the character's motives very well. :p

Journey to Agartha isn't a Studio Ghibli film, but it does have a very similar look! ^_^
Oh! I didn't know journey to Agartha isn't Ghibli! I quite agree with you about Tales from Earthsea. I still don't really know what all the true names are for...

Huge Ghibli fan here!

Of course just about everyone loves My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. For good reason too

because they're just so magical and visually stunning.

I think some of Ghibli's more underrated works are Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday. I guess story wise they're more mundane compared

to other Ghibli films but the messages that they impart to the audience are just as heartfelt! If you haven't watched them, I definitely recommend

that you give them a try!

My absolute favorite has got to be Princess Mononoke but I understand why some people don't like it as much since it is a lot darker compared

to most Ghibli films.

But holy crap, Grave of the Fireflies...

grave of the fireflies ruined my life
I am right there with you. I first watched it when I was 12 and MISTAKES WERE MADE. I was left deer in headlights after the first 10 minutes or so

and I wanted to turn it off but I just couldn't look away. In hindsight, I understand why Grave of the Fireflies is so significant socially and historically

but man, it's just so visceral... A warning to all: Do not watch Grave of the Fireflies unless you like being very sad or you want to be traumatized.

Loveee Studio Ghibli films!! I recently watched, 'When Marnie Was There' which was amazing!! My favourite Ghibli films are Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away and The Cat Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back