Ant from Japan on holiday to Australia! :)

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I finally got my Deco Pierces from Japan! (pictures to be uploaded to my log-https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/193724-the-pierce-philosophy/)

Inside of the plastic was an ordinary black ant! It looks a little more brown, but is the same size and doesn't have anything else of difference that I can see. I was amazed at it's survival skills, and also how it managed to get into an Anniversary change shrink wrapper!

I put it into a container with a drop of spring water and some rice malt syrup. (I'm a vegan so I don't have an honey in the house, I don't care about honey, but my partner does so I agreed to the rice malt syrup seeing that it's tasty) It looked at it, but it seems more intent on trying to escape and find it's way home. :(

It made me wonder if insects were the same around the world. This simple occurrence of an ant trapped in some plastic made me all thoughtful about how things live, and what we consider important.
I think in the past I would have squished an ant in my apartment normally because there is no garden to put them and they dig into all my food. I tried saving them, but there was an ant attack for months a few years ago. I live on the top floor, so I have no idea how they managed to get all the way into my apartment, or why they even bothered to find food in such a difficult place. It seems like such an arduous journey to embark on for some simple sugars and rice syrup!

I don't think it will survive away from it's hive, so tomorrow I'm going to put it outside in the sun. I thought it can walk in the Australian sun if it wanted to so badly, and have a nice stroll before it runs out of steam.
Hey, it might even do ok? Most likely it won't live long. Any budding Entomologists know about how ants work?

I wish we understood all the little creatures better. I think it's cute people love the Morino Tama so much, and to care for a creature as small as a beetle is really interesting.

-

the thoughts of Fae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back